Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Climbing St. Peter's dome - how much time?

Climbing St. Peter's dome - how much time?

Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Climbing St. Peter's dome - how much time?

We have a 9:00 Scavi tour reservation in early May, I now need to make a reservation for the Vatican museums. We definitely want to climb the dome, we are fit and can probably skip the elevator, just for the heck of it. I have read about some long lines to go up, but didn't seem much about the total time.

The Scavi tour ends around 10:30 I guess, how much time should we expect to go up the dome and down? Trying to find out if a 1:00 reservation for the museums would be reasonable...

Thanks
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM

I'll be going up there as well in May. The last few times I was lucky and had no line to wait in and so went up directly. I would say it took an hour up and down (by stairs). There is a little coffee/gift shop upstairs. After I do the Scavi and poke around St.Peter's I'm then going to head "upstairs", grab a little snack and wander around top for a bit. They also have washrooms up at the top. Decent as I remember, no squatting. If there is a line up you could have a long wait. Maybe factor in a 1/2 hour in case of a line. The last time I went was the month of November on a Wednesday afternoon not in May.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM

You really want to climb 551 steps? I think you'd need 2-2.5 hours, and if you go to the museums without having a bite to eat, I don't think you'd get much out of the visit.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM

You really want to climb 551 steps? I think you'd need 2-2.5 hours, and if you go to the museums without having a bite to eat, I don't think you'd get much out of the visit.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM

You can be slowed by people on the stairs, so it would still be difficult to say how long it might take. Also, our Scavi tour ended a few minutes late because our group was slowed by other groups ahead of us. The tour ends in the crypt where several popes are interred, and we took a few additional minutes to view this area before exiting. Then you have to walk to the museum entrance...

FYI, although climbing stairs is not a problem for me, climbing tightly winding stairs can give me vertigo if I go too fast.

Search this Thread