Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cliffs of Moher - Is the edge safe enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok we have all seen the pictures of people on their bellies looking over the edge. I have heard that you should take care when doing this since there can be strong winds and I have also heard that the cliffs still crumble into the ocean. I have thought about crawling out on my belly to do this, but how safe is this really? Is it true that the ground could crumble into the sea right below me? How many of you would honestly recommend crawling out to the edge?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Well, it could happen that the cliffs could crumble beneath you which be more likely due to constant erosion than too many people on the edge. It is pretty unlikley, but it could happen. If it happens, it was your time to go.

Bill
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:23 PM
ira

OTOH if you don't do it, it won't happen.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I'm wondering the same thing, Flutterby1, for our planned trip in April. I'm not a huge fan of heights, but I've heard it's THE thing to do.

I've seen some accidents where I live from cliffs disentegrating beneath people when the weather's been dry. So, that's why I have a fear of the possiblity there, as well. Although I know they get a lot more rain than we do.

Anyone else have comments?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I'm not fond of heights, but I felt pretty secure at (almost) the edge of the cliffs. BTW, we went to the cliffs at the end of the day just after the tourist office closed, and although we couldn't go into the "castle", we had the place almost to ourselves!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Well, we were there in May on a day that it drizzled mostly and there were VERY STRONG WINDS.
There were people out on the edge that day (they had to climb over the barriers). I feel that if there are barriers up to block you from going somewhere they are up for a reason.

The day before, someone had fallen off, but we discovered later that she jumped. Got caught on the rocks below and they had a heck of a time getting to her.

But as Bill said, if it happens, it was your time to go.

They are spectacular even if you aren't at the edge.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:55 PM

No one on this thread has even hinted as to where "Moher" is. Humbly I ask, Where is Moher?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:58 PM
dln

Tuck, it's in Ireland. And someone fell to their death from the Cliffs just this year.

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:02 PM
dln

Here's a previous post you can look at:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...liffs+of+Moher

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Hi flutterby,

As you walk up to the cliffs from the parking lot, the first area where you meet rock wall is where people climb over to go out to the edge. There's that rock wall to climb over and signs telling you not to, but plenty of people do and a few manage to make it their last Darwin event by proving how close they can get.

The winds are very strong. Little kids could jump in the air while we were there, even well away from the edge and be carried several feet backwards. Turned you cheeks pink. So imagine standing at the edge, bracing against that wind when it suddenly subsided.

Walk up the hill along the wall towards O'Brians Tower. The further up you go, the closer the wall gets to the edge anyway, plus you have a higher vantage point.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:03 AM

I guess I'm getting old, I thought the view from behind the wall spectacular enough. I know that if I went out on the edge and had it give way beneath me I would be very upset with myself while on the trip to the rocks/ocean below.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Cliffs ANYWHERE are nothing to mess with. For example, the guy who created the COPS program in the States, Paul Stojanovich, fell to his death earlier this year while walking along cliffs in Oregon, with his fiance.

Don't get too close, and don't assume that they will support your weight, whether you are lying down or standing up.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Part of the cliffs to the left of the platform collaspsed into the sea in the past 3-5years (the exact date escapes my memory) Two people abseiling down the cliffs at the time were killed. It's a judgment call for you when you get there. You can still experience the breathtaking beauty of the place without creeping to the edge! Have a good trip

www.vistaphotos.com
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:36 AM

We were there at the end of May. It was a beautiful, sunny day with nice breezes. No high winds. I guess we were just lucky!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Just based on your question, I would recommend to stay on the path up to O'Briens Tower and you will be rewarded for your efforts. My first trip to the Cliffs, which are in County Clare, Ireland for the earlier poster, it was sunny and beautiful and we were permitted to hike south of the tourist area where I finally sat down and had a little picnic. That day I did crawl out to the edge and have a picture to prove it, but I was younger and somewhat more brave. The last two times the weather has been quite challenging with gale force winds and I felt uneasy even on the path, but it was safe. When you are there you can judge for yourself. Enjoy