Cliff tombs at Myra

Sep 25th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Cliff tombs at Myra

I need some specific information about visiting the Lycian tombs at Myra. We thought we could walk up to the tombs, but our travel agent says that is illegal and would be a three-hour round-trip hike if it weren't. What is there to see by walking around? Is it worth it to make this stop?

This is important, as we wanted to visit this site as we traveled from Kas to the Antalya airport. We are hiring a private car and driver for the transfer, and the final cost will be based on how much time we plan to spend at Myra, since that is the only stop we were planning to make along the way.

We need to know ASAP, as we are leaving for Turkey in a few days and we have to get the car booked. Thank you for any help.
Sep 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM

I do not think your travel agent has any idea what he is talking about.

Myra is somewhat on the outskirts of the city called Demre.

It is very compact site with one major theatre and a few additional structures, and the rock tombs are only 50-200 meters away on the hills.

I do not know if it is illegal to climb up but I doubt it.

However, it could be dangerous to climb if there are no specific steps and paths made for that, because they are on sheer cliffs. mostly.

If you buy one of the very high zoom point and shoot cameras, I bet you could shoot the insides of some in great detail by just walking ten minutes and edging closer to the lowest ones.

Your travel agent may have confused them with the Kaunos tombs.

Please check the web sites for Myra which will give you all the info your travel agent did not bother to check for you.

We spent about one hour, although at my age and weight I was not that interested in trying to climb. The theatre was good enough with some great photographic opportunities.

Please read my trip report (on the lounge?) "Fumbling Family Meet the Lykians"

This is very short and worthwhile stop, almost directly on your way.

Arycanda is more out of the way. But even there, climbing to the rock tombs was allowed and did not take more than one hour total for everything, except for the drive. If you get there, tell me if the ghosts are still making use of the baths next to the necropoli. -
Sep 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Here's an excellent and enticing video of the site :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN7te6XfflU

It is one of those places I would definitely visit again and at greater length.
Sep 25th, 2013, 02:10 PM

"It is one of those places I would definitely visit again"

I guess I should revisit, I don't remember that house/temple style tomb from when I was last there in '82. It's always nice to refresh one's memory of interesting places.
Sep 25th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Otherchelebi! Yes, I think there must be some confusion on the agent's part. We probably only have an hour to an hour and a half total, so this is perfect.