Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Clermont-Ferrand - Any information please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 12:30 PM
Allan & Ellen

We will be travelling by auto between Nice and Tours, and we're looking for a half-way point to stop. Does anyone have any thoughts about Clermont-Ferrand as to whether it's a good stopping point.

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 01:32 PM
catherine

Dear Allan and Ellen, <BR>I myself do not have good memories of this town, which I remember as being very industrial with no charm. I now have a niece living there who talks of the charm of the cobbled streets - but also of the poor air quality. I think there are probably nicer stopping places. Bon Voyage!

catherine

Dear Allan and Ellen, <BR>I myself do not have good memories of this town, which I remember as being very industrial with no charm. I now have a niece living there who talks of the charm of the cobbled streets - but also of the poor air quality. I think there are probably nicer stopping places. Bon Voyage!

catherine

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 03:07 PM
greg

Nice to Tours with one stop seems a long drive to me - close to 900kms! I would suggest Lyon rather than C-F - the autoroute tales right to centre ville and there is more choice re hotels, restaurants etc. C-F is an industrial town - home of Michelin - but the centre is still quite pleasant, although I found access/exit much more confusing that Lyon. From Lyon you could cut across via Moulins, Bourges, and the loire Valley. <BR>I guess you know that the autoroutes are quite expensive

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 03:07 PM
greg

Nice to Tours with one stop seems a long drive to me - close to 900kms! I would suggest Lyon rather than C-F - the autoroute tales right to centre ville and there is more choice re hotels, restaurants etc. C-F is an industrial town - home of Michelin - but the centre is still quite pleasant, although I found access/exit much more confusing that Lyon. From Lyon you could cut across via Moulins, Bourges, and the loire Valley. <BR>I guess you know that the autoroutes are quite expensive

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 07:37 AM
Allen & Ellen

Thanks to the both of you. I think you've made the decision for us, NOT to stay in C-F!