Search

Clancy Brothers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Roger

Clancy Brothers

Two outstanding European music groups thrust themselves on the music scene in the early sixties. One, of course, was the Beatles. The other supergroup was the Irish folk group, the Clancy Brothers. Liam and Paddy Clancy are no longer with us in 2001 and Tommy Clancy and Tommy Makem are long in the tooth. Are there any Irish folk groups of the Clancy Brothers' stature in Ireland? Do any groups play the Clancy Brothers' sound?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 10:41 AM
M

Here We Are in New South Wales <BR>Shearing Sheep as Big as Wales <BR>With Leather Necks <BR>And Daggy Tails <BR>And Hooves as Tough as Rusty Nails <BR> --The Clancy Brothers

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 12:44 PM
SharonG

I'm so sorry to hear that Liam Clancy is dead too. I just love them. I met him years ago in the 60's when I was just a little girl and I'll always remember how sweet he was and how big he seemed to me. Don't know of any group that even comes close to them. Love Risin of the Moon and the Last of the Irish Rovers.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Helen Donegan

I went to see the Clancy's a few times - years ago - great memories. <BR>And one of the best evenings I ever had was in Tommy Maken's restaurant/pub on Third Avenue NY. He was there singing away that night and everyone in the place looked happy.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Roger

Brought me great pleasure that you two ladies appreciate the Clancys. I have several cassette tapes of theirs, one of them a double cassette taped live. The dialogue between songs brings out the sense-of-humor between the four. Taped about 1966 or 1967, they joke about actors getting elected to office and chuckle over the election of Ronald REEGAN as California's governor. A lot of fun.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Helen Donegan

Oh Roger it is getting worse and worse - now I am in tears - I met them in the Europa Hotel in Belfast once - I was there with friends and they were staying there after a concert - they were so nice, so normal and so much fun - there were the personification of all that is good in my country.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Jane

Roger- <BR>What do you mean by "Liam Clancy is no longer with us in 2001"?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Roger

I though Liam died. Would be more than happy to be wrong. I often am. Please tell me I am.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Jane

Roger <BR>Your post prompted me to look on the web for info about Liam and Tommy Makem(being a big fan from the Boston and New Hampshire area in the 80's). Both Tommy and Liam have web sites and appear to be alive and well. Liam has an upcoming concert.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Roger

Hurrah for Liam. May he perform well and down at least 10,000 more Guiness Stouts in the years to come.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Roger

I did a little research this weekend. Tommy Clancy died of stomach cancer in 1990. Liam is very much alive.