Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cities/Towns BETWEEN Cardiff & Glasgow ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 1999, 07:22 PM
Albert Tan

Hi, I will be in Cardiff for about a month starting next week. During this time I plan o travel up to Glagow to meet a friend. Travelling alone, backpacking, I don't really have a fix itenary. <BR> <BR>As the journey up to Glasgow would be a long one, I was thinking of making some overnight stops alond the way. But there are so many cool places to go with what only a limited period I have (I can spare about 1 week). I will be travelling by the National Express. <BR> <BR>Anyone with suggestions ? I would be most grateful. <BR> <BR>Also, do I need to bring along my PASSPORT and AIR TICKET along in my trip to Glasgow ? Or can I just leave it in Cardiff with a friend, and just bring copies ? Thanks

Old May 29th, 1999, 01:06 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Mr Tan <BR> <BR>Two beautiful old towns are Shrewsbury and Chester, while the Lake District has good scenery. Each of these has web sites that your searcher will find. <BR> <BR>Nobody in Glasgow will want to see your passport nor your air ticket. While a photocopy of the passport is always a good idea in case you lose the original, nobody is entitled to ask to see ID of any kind -- and that includes the police. When you arrive at a hotel or hostel you fill in form with your name and address, and that's it. If the police catch me cycling without lights they ask my name and address, and believe me -- or that's what they would do, if they still bothered about cycle lamps. <BR> <BR>All very delightful, but the counterside is that immigration at Heathrow give aliens a hard time. They explain that once a person is in Britain he or he is pretty untraceable. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Britain. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 01:07 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Mr Tan <BR> <BR>Two beautiful old towns are Shrewsbury and Chester, while the Lake District has good scenery. Each of these has web sites that your searcher will find. <BR> <BR>Nobody in Glasgow will want to see your passport nor your air ticket. While a photocopy of the passport is always a good idea in case you lose the original, nobody is entitled to ask to see ID of any kind -- and that includes the police. When you arrive at a hotel or hostel you fill in form with your name and address, and that's it. If the police catch me cycling without lights they ask my name and address, and believe me -- or that's what they would do, if they still bothered about cycle lamps. <BR> <BR>All very delightful, but the counterside is that immigration at Heathrow give aliens a hard time. They explain that once a person is in Britain he or he is pretty untraceable. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Britain. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 02:08 AM
Sheila

Places I would suggest along the same route are <BR> <BR>Hereford <BR> <BR>Liverpool for an urban experience <BR> <BR>On the east- into the Lancashire/West Yorkshire dales- Haworth- for the Brontes and the steamtrain; Ribblesdale;Wensleydale. <BR> <BR>In Scotland a quick diversion off the M74 on the west takes you into the Dumfriesshire forests and on the east into the Borders- Dumfries itself and Moffat being two market towns worth a quiet visit <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 04:01 AM
Albert Tan

Thanks for the replies. <BR> <BR>Is Blackpool worth stopping by? <BR> <BR>I am really interested at the Lake District. Which part or YHA should I stay around there ?