Reload this Page >

Cities for a week?

Search

Cities for a week?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:00 AM
Matt

Cities for a week?

Which cities in Europe would be worth a week (6 days) stay, including day-trips. I read a thread about Madrid for example that would fit into this catagory, because one could stay in Madrid for 2 or 3 days and then do 3 or 4 day trips to nearby locations. What other cities would it be a good idea to book lodging for 7 nights, 6 days? Thanks.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Thyra

Paris, London or Rome would be my picks.. with Paris...way in the lead.. a week or 20 weeks wouldn't be enough to see these Three cities...

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Leslie

Prague, Budapest, Vienna.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:16 AM
ron

Cities I have spent a week or more in: Amsterdam, London, Hereford, Geneva<BR>Cities I have spent time in and know that I could have spent a week: Berlin, Copenhagen, Glasgow, Rome, Athens, Madrid, Lisbon, Cardiff <BR>Cities that I have researched and believe I could spend a week in: Prague, Vienna

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:19 AM
elvira

Amsterdam (lots of good daytrips from there); Brussels (Amsterdam is a daytrip from there, so's London or Paris); Barcelona.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:29 AM
David

In no particular order: Rome, London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Prague.<BR><BR>It's odd. Now that I think about it, you don't seem to hear much about Berlin on this site. I loved it there.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Judy

Not to sound like a broken record, but Rome, ah, Paris (loved it for 9 days!), London (need to go back), Dublin and surrounds (but then I'm Irish), Madrid if you include surrounding areas, Prague and surrounding areas, Krakow plus day trips. Judy

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:53 PM
Matt

Thanks for all the responses. I now have a good idea of the places I might go to over the next few years. Ron, how do Cardiff, Hereford, and Geneva demand a week?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:16 PM
Rex

I'm going to offer a contrarian opinion on the concept. There are lots of cities for which the city itself - - and its environs - - are brimming over with things to do for a week or more. But I disagree with staying IN the city to see its surrounding attractions. Move out of the city for 2-3 days out of a given week there. You will almost always find more bang for your lodging bucks - - plus a very different kind of accommodation(s) as well. A city is hard to get a car in and out of, and a big waste of money to park it at $25 a night in the city to use it to leave for a day trip repeatedly.<BR><BR>So...<BR><BR>London - - sure, for 4 days, then Windsor for 3.<BR><BR>Paris, then Chartres (or Chateau de Jonvilliers).<BR><BR>I don't have a pairing for Rome - - but then you'll still be scratching the surface IN Rome after seven days!<BR><BR>Who has other pairings to suggest?<BR><BR>This concept might only be valid for the very biggest cities.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:21 PM
Anders

Don't forget Milan. Maybe not a star attraction, (but great food, Duomo and La Scala) but close by are the Dolomites, the lake district and even the Cinque Terre is not too far.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:24 PM
Matt

Thanks Rex. Actually, for details I don't want to get into, I MUST rent an apartment for a week when I go somewhere. Would there be enough to do and see in Rome to justify 2 weeks? My day ends at 7pm due to small children.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:56 PM
Rex

Well, I think that the short answer is yes. But a lot depends on what are the children doing during the day? How old are they? and does "day end" at 7 pm mean that you have to be "back in" (for supper, bed time, bath time, whatever) by 7 o'clock? Can they be up and on their feet for 6 or 8 hours (if it ends before 5 or 6 or 7 pm?)<BR><BR>I ask this for something as straightforward as a day trip to Florence. You certainly don't want or need a car for that - - the train is much faster than a car, and there are all the same reasons NOT to have a car entering Florence as the reasons not to have one in Rome.<BR><BR>Knowing more about the whole scenario would help me decide between 14 days Rome versus 7 Rome/7 London.<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 02:03 PM
Matt

I had the wonderful pleasure of staying in London for 4 days with my wife without kids already. Our kids have no problem during the day, we usually set out around 9am and are back by 7pm, bedtime at 8pm. We've learned enough tricks to keep them busy for up to 3 hours in a musuem. My wife and I actually enjoy walking around looking at buildings, fountains, monuments, and especially beautiful churches and of course snacking throughout the day, ice cream is the best!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 02:37 PM
Rex

Alright, I think I understand sufficiently well to make a recommendation: 7 days Rome, 7 days Paris. Airfare between the two starts at $204 (plus taxes = $231) on Kuwait Airways - - if they have the seats you need on the dates you need.<BR><BR>Or fly www.virgin-express.com to Brussels from prices as low as 62 euros (less for children's fares)- - then you can train into Paris for a little under 40 euros per person (based on 2 adult fares, 2 children, ages 4-11), second class.<BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:11 AM
Matt

Rex, what about a suggestion for 4 weeks vacation. We live near Switzerland. We've been to; London 4 days, Paris 3 days, Prague 3 days, Vienna 4 days, Florence 3 days, Copenhagen 3 days. How easy would it be to do daytrips from Madrid with small children (train access)?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:13 AM
Mags

I love Berlin more than any other city I have ever been to. I was there over New Year's for ten days and would liked to have spent so much longer; the combination of the amazing history, beautiful surroundings and welcoming Berliners make it a place where one could spend weeks. I'm certain you would have a wonderful time.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:56 AM
Rex

Sorry, Matt. I've never been to Madrid (though I have been to much of the rest of Spain, curiously) - - and I've never been on a train in Spain. Can't offer any personal perspective on that.<BR>