Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cipriani's for dinner--advice on which of their restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to make a reservation at Cipriani's for our trip to Venice, but I'm not sure which restaurant to choose. The main restaurant (indoors) is too ornate and formal for my taste and we would prefer to be outdoors. Can anyone recommend which is best Terrace Restaurant or Cips club?
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:39 AM

We had a fablulous dinner in the terrace restaurant in July. It was expensive, but I highly recommend it. It was elegant without being overly stuffy.

As I understand, Cip's Club is more casual dining.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 08:28 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks Statia. I'm guessing that the poolside restaurant is ultra-casual?
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Jes, if you go to their website there are photos and descriptions of each restaurant.

http://www.orient-express.com/web/oc...cfkmdffkdffj.0

If you want info on our personal experience there, see my trip report at
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...amp;dirtyBit=1

Just scroll down to the evening of July 9. Good luck with your decision.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:11 AM
JES
Original Poster

Statia,
Thank you for the links....however, I can't find the July 9 entry on your trip report...I'm not sure why I'm missing it.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:34 AM

It's there, but probably hard to find with so many details of the trip. I'll cut and paste it here. We renewed our vows for our ten year wedding anniversary just before we went to Cipriani.

------------------------
We continued on with the traditional "wedding walk" through St. Mark's Piazza, and past the Basilica and Doge's Palace. Valerio took some beautiful photos in this area, as well as many others during the course of the evening. Then, we awaited the launch to HOTEL CIPRIANI for dinner. The captain was most gracious upon his arrival and we felt really special having that beautiful mohagony boat all to ourselves for the ride across the bay to Guidecca. Once we arrived Hotel Cipriani, we were greeted by beautiful gardens and an wonderful staff. We bought Stef and Valerio a drink at the outdoor hotel bar, and enjoyed a nice toast to a perfect evening.

After Stef and Valerio left, we were seated on the terrace, right next to the water, for our sunset dinner. We started with foie gras with brandied yellow figs and a nice bottle of wine. The views over the water and San Giorgio Maggiore were splendid, especially with the cool breeze and the slight hint of lightening flickers in the far off distance during sunset. After our appetizer, my husband had lamb and I had filet of beef in gargonzola cheese with white wine sauce. Both dishes were absolutely wonderful, as well as the Cipriani chocolate cake we had for dessert. The service was impeccable, without being pretentious, and the staff were all very nice and friendly. The total for dinner was 235 euro, and well worth every penny.

After dinner, we wandered to the piano bar, which overlooked the gorgeous pool area, and had an after dinner limoncello. The bar only had a couple of other patrons in it, so it was nice and quiet, rather than crowded and stuffy. The piano player wandered in and asked my husband what he'd like to have played for me. My husband told him "You Look Wonderful Tonight." It was very touching. My husband happened to run into the piano player later, and he said he could really appreciate the fact that we'd renewed our vows. He added that he and his wife had been married 25 years, and there's nothing like spending your life with the most special person in the world to you. Awwwww.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:04 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you...I did not see that anywhere on the link. So strange. What a beautiful evening it sounds like you had. Thank you so much for sharing.
I made a reservation with Cipriani's for "The Terrace" and these are the responses I got, so I'm confused:

Thank you for your request and it is with great pleasure that we confirm the above reservation in our Main Restaurant.
We inform you that our restaurant opens at 8.00 p.m.

Mr. Squecco,
Thank you for your prompt reply. Can you please confirm that your main restaurant is the outdoor terrace?

Our Min Restaurant has a terrace and only in case of nice and warm wether condition dinner will be served outoors. Otherwise dinner is set up in the original setiing of the Restaurant called Fortuny Restaurant.
Best regards,
Stefano Squecco

I didn't see Fortuny on their website. Do you know if The Terrace (which IS listed on the site) is the same?
Thanks for all of your help!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Jes, when our wedding consultant made our reservations, I had the same problem in understanding. From what she told me then, as well as what I see from your correspondences, you will be seated at the terrace restaurant, unless the weather is inclement.

I was assured during our reservation process, that the terrace restaurant is open for all guests except times when there is inclement weather. So, I would assume that you are scheduled for the terrace unless the weather does not permit, whereupon you will be seated in the indoor main dining area.

If it comes to that, and you prefer not to dine in the indoor dining area, you could always cancel at the last minute and choose another restaurant.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions. I know that I, myself, went through a lot of thought in making sure that everything was perfect that particular night.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:50 PM

JES, leave it to the Italians to create confusion. The Terrace is the actual terrace of the Cipriani restaurant (main dining room). Don't worry, you're going to have a lovely time eating indoors or out. Believe me, even if it drizzles, the Italians prefer to eat outdoors (although you won't see too many Italians eating at Cipriani's).
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Statia, you mention someone named Valerio taking pictures. Is this the same Valerio from the San Georgio Hotel? Just curious, because I have booked with him on the advice of other Fororites for Christmas week.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:25 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you--that's what I suspected, but wanted to be sure. With limited time I didn't want to get there and have been booked at the wrong place! I'm still deciding between The Terrace and Cips Club....the photos of the latter on their site looked really nice and had such an amazing view. Have you been to Harry's Bar? I'm also trying to plan other evenings and was curious if it's good for dinner or just drinks. I will probably post a seperate question on this as well.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:04 PM

I prefer visiting Harry's Bar during colder climes when I adore having a hot chocolate. I can't stomach the place in high season because it's turned into an Ian Schrager hotel "scene" without an Italian in sight.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:19 PM

JES, having not gone to Harry's Bar when we were there, I honestly can't commment on it. However, I think you will enjoy Cipriani no matter what the weather is.

Tx, I honestly don't know of Valerio's other possible affilations since he was hired by our very wonderful wedding coordinator. If, however, he is one in the same, he is a gem, and we were very pleased with his services.