Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre - solo

Search

Cinque Terre - solo

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 1999, 11:06 AM
Miriam Seva

Cinque Terre - solo

I'm planning a trip to the Cinque Terre in May 2000 and I will most likely be traveling alone (mid-30's female). I'm sure it is a safe area, but I would like to confirm that. Also, I read many messages here saying Vernazza is now too popular to find a room and Monterosso is too big for my taste. Any suggestions on accomodations at the other 3?

Old May 17th, 1999, 02:55 PM
justin

cinque terre is a great place to visit. I did a solo trip there three years ago and had a wonderful time. My favorite town was santa marguerita ligure. I don't recall the name of my hotel, but there are many to choose. The area was very safe, clean and friendly. The other areas of cinque terre can be visited by train or boat very easily, santa marguerita was by far my favorite.

Old May 26th, 1999, 11:36 AM
Miriam

Justin, <BR>Did you hike the paths connecting the towns in Cinque Terre? If so, did you find a group to hike with, or did you do that solo? And, do you remember where you stayed in Santa Marguerita? Thanks. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 12:01 PM
D. Spiegel

In Santa Margherita I stayed at the Hotel Laurin, which is/was a Best Western. The price might be a bit more than you want to spend -- over $100. You might want to try the Hotel Jolanda. I haven't stayed there, but many people on another bulletin board have recommended it. They have a webpage. I liked staying in this town. If you're there on a weekend, be sure to have reservations at a hotel and restaurants. This is a resort town that many Italians go to on the weekends. I hiked some of the paths. I found the first one going south to north easy. The second was a bit difficult for me. After that I took the train. Some people on these boards do not agree with me on the difficulty of these walks. I say just wear good hiking shoes and take some bottled water with you, and have a good time.

Old May 26th, 1999, 05:28 PM
Anna

There is a youth hostel in Manarola, I haven't stayed there myself, but here is a link to their website: http://www.cinqueterre.net/ostello/. <BR>I rented a room from the Trattoria Gianni in Vernazza, we arrived before noon in mid-June without a reservation. The most difficult hikes are between Corniglia and Vernazza and Vernazza and Monterosso. Carry water with you and refill it in each town. The hikes between the other towns are quite easy (and I am not in the greatest of shape). I would think you would be safe hiking alone, but you will probably be able to hook up with some others who are hiking.

Old May 26th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Maggie

I'm not too sure what people mean when they say Monterossa is "too big." I stayed there four years ago and visited again for a day just two weeks ago-----we are talking--in my opinion-- a VERY small town. You can walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes (slow walk, no stops.) Vernazza is lovely and is somewhat smaller than Monterossa. <BR> <BR>We hiked from Monterossa to Vernaazza and it was truly beautiful and memorable. We are not great hikers and found it relatively easy and the scenery more than made up for any difficulty. <BR> <BR>What are you looking for??? On our trip several weeks ago we stayed at Portovenere which was small and had fairly regular boat service to Cinque Terre. It had a certain charm but we only stayed there because we couldn't get reservations in Monterossa. <BR> <BR>Tell us more what your interested in and also search this site----I think there is a lot of earlier info on CT. Good luck ---it's a great trip.

Old May 27th, 1999, 11:30 AM
D.Spiegel

Website for Jolanda Hotel is <BR>http://www.promix.shiny.it/hotel/jolanda

Old May 27th, 1999, 12:05 PM
D. Spiegel

Interesting website on Cinque Terre: <BR>http://www.spectraweb.ch/~avong/cinquete.htm

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 12:58 PM
ken horn

Miriam - I'm sure you are aware but Santa Margherita is not part of Cinque Terre. It is the town next to Portifino. We stayed at the Hotel Yolanda 3-4 years ago. I made the mistake of telling them that I only wanted to stay 1 nite when I actually stayed 2. The room would have been better - You don't get the pick if you only stay 1 nite. (This is true most places.)I parked the car for free at the hotel and used public transportation. The hotel is only 2-3 blocks from the TI and about 5 blocks to the Med. Have fun. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 01:12 PM
Richard

Absolutely agree with Maggie, when we last stayed in Monterosso, about 4 years ago, we had a wonderful time. We stumbled on to the equivelant of a "Fireman's carnival", ladies selling fried dough, games and a funky band (talking marching band) sitting down and playing their heart's out (you gotta see our video). Just as we were leaving, a bride came through, in full regalia, to the best wishes of everyone lining the street.