Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre, need a place to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Marianna

I am planning a trip to Cinque Terre in early June.
Need advice on places to stay, eat and drink. I've heard wonderful things about the region, ecspecially on Vernazza

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 03:55 PM
Linda

Marianna, scroll down (pretty far!) to my query about hotels to stay in Cinque Terre, Sienna, and Milan. There's a reply with the hotel and phone numbers. I don't know how nice a hotel you're wanting to stay, but Hotel Porto Roca in Monterosso was recommended to us, also. However, that hotel has a 3 day minumum stay, so we couldn't work that one out. That scenery and setting (it overlooks the Bay of Porticciolo and Monterosso Beach) is supposed to be lovely, so you might want to check it out if you can stay 3 days.Single 195,000, Double 210-295,000 lire. Tel 187 81 75 02, Fax 187 81 76 92.

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 08:34 PM
Barbara

Marianna,

Last spring we spent three days in the Cinque Terre area. We chose to stay in Levanto at the western entrance to the five villages. The train station was a 3-minute walk from our hotel. We took the train to the far end, beginning in Riomaggiore (magnificent) and worked our way back, walking between some of the towns and taking the train the last part of the day. Levanto is a charming, romantic seaside town and a worthy destination on its own. The beach is one of the lovliest we've seen in Italy and the village is scenic and friendly. In early April, it was already warm enough to sunbathe. The Hotel Stella Maris was so beautiful it took us by surprise. Our room had a vaulted ceiling painted with frescoes, marble fireplace, gorgeous and massive antique furnishings, and floor to ceiling windows that opened onto the interesting street below. See Karen Brown's Italian Country Inns. We took her advice and booked room #4. Moderately priced, the only drawback was we had to take half-board and the food was inconsistent. But I would stay there again and negotiate ahead of time about the meals. On Vernazza, Gambero Rosso proved a very good place to eat, and the owner was accomodating when others were closing and would not let us in. Phone for Stella Maris is 0187 80 82 58 or fax at o187 80 73 51.

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 10:16 AM
Joyce

See my remarks re Cinque Terre under "What Was Your Favorite European Secret." I think it is the 13th one down, and I start off with comments on Colmar.

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 05:46 AM
marianna

Thanks for your messages. You have been very helpful!!

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 08:37 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The Cinque Terre per se is not the place to stay.
I prefer either Levanto, to the north, or my favorite fishing village, Portovenere to the south.
You cannot access by train from Porto. but it is
a wonderful destination to itself. Stay at the
Paradiso there, or the Stella Maris in Levanto.
If you want 4 star prices then the Porto Rocca in
Monterosso is excellent. If you want 2 star prices,
then The Baia in Monte. is a great location near
the train station. GOOD LUCK--YOU WILL LOVE IT.