Cinque Terre--itinerary guidance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to visit Cinque Terre at the end of May for two weeks. Our last Italy trip was to Puglia and Mattera--we loved it. On our trips, we like to walk, eat at great restaurants and experience the ambience. We are open to train travel, etc or renting a car.
So far, our thought is to fly from Boston to Milan, stay there a day and take train to Cinque Terre. We thought we would stay there for about 4 days--do hiking etc.
Then head to Santa Margherita and see the towns nearby--e.g. Portofino. Maybe stay in this area for another 4 days. Would we need a car for this?
Our thought after this was to go somewhere in Tuscany, perhaps Siena and spend a couple of days there before heading back. (We have visited Tuscany before and of course, loved it)
Any ideas and advice regarding this itinerary would be appreciated.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Sounds good to me. I love the Italian Riviera - I've been to the Cinque Terre a few times and was in Camogli for three nights in May (click on my name to read my trip report, see pictures). I don't see any reason to rent a car there - there is regular (if occasionally delayed) train service up and down the riviera. There are ferries and buses to places like Portofino that aren't quite served by the trains.

Keep in mind that some of the hiking trails in the Cinque Terre are closed, but there are plenty of other hiking opportunities in the riviera - some fairly easy, some quite difficult as I found out in May! (Read my trip report for details.)

I suppose if you want to go to Tuscany afterward it might make sense to rent a car as you leave the riviera (La Spezia?), drive to Tuscany, then drive back to Milan and fly out home.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 12:50 PM

You can reach all those places by trains and or buses- Milan to CT via Genoa - take regional trains as they are dirt cheap and you buy at station on day as flat fare and no seat reservations possible -there are slightly faster trains but they cost more and require reservations before boarding but check various fares at www.trenitalia.com and if IC or faster train requiring seat reservation book it yourself online - can get a discounted fare often if doing so early enough.

CT - Santa Margharita Ligure also by regional trains or IC trains - usually have to take train from CT towns to La Spezia and change. Buses SML to Portofino just a few miles away.

Regional trains SML to Pisa and change for trains to Empoli and Siena - put bags in station left luggage in Pisa to go to Leaning Tower perhaps.

Cars would be nice for touring Tuscany but if just going to Siena not needed and there is decent bus service to other nearby towns too.

Anyway for loads on Italian trains check www,seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If going back to Milan from Siena take the bus to nearby Florence and catch high-speed trains to Milan - booking way in advance can save money on those.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Those of you who have toured the Italian Riviera...is it better done by train or car?
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 01:14 PM

Well, I'm not sure you can say I "toured" it. If you read my trip report, you can see how I got between the Cinque Terre, Camogli, and Genoa - all by train. I personally prefer trains when they are available vs. a car in Europe. I have no trouble driving instead when it's more practical (e.g. Slovenia and Croatia). The train service up and down the riviera is frequent even if sometimes delayed.

Some people aren't crazy about trains or just aren't used to them, so I guess they might prefer a car. It also depends what you plan to do in the riviera. Are you planning to explore places not easily reached by train or bus but easily reached by car? If not, why wouldn't you stick to the trains?

Some of the Cinque Terre towns aren't good car towns, either, FYI. And the road between towns may not be quick and direct. But the trains go through tunnels and connect quickly from town to town.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM

In my particular case, I will be coming from Provence and will need to ditch the French car in France. I know I will be wanting an Italian car after the Riviera but if picking up one in say, Genoa then struggling with parking and impossible roads around there isn't worth it then I am fine with trains. I know the local ones are cheap. I haven't gotten as deeply into planning yet to know specific objectives. I suppose I should start there then figure out the logistics.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 04:20 PM
kja

Personally, I would NOT want a car in the Cinque Terre.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:45 AM

To rs 899:
All towns and villages around the coast (from Cannes up to La Spezia) are well served by train (at least every hr, dirty cheap) or by frequent local buses (like Portofino).

Untouristy places in the mountains of the hinterland (like Perinaldo, Caprino or Varese Ligure) have only few bus connections. If you want to visit a lot of such places, a car might be a better solution.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Thanks to all...I will have months to sort this...

BTW I am thrilled that I finally figured out how to use Google Steetview on my tablet. I had been using it on my PC for years but could never figure it out on my tablet and it is even awesomer. You just tap a spot on the map the put down a "marker". Then you get a window below and when you go there you can spin the tablet around literally like being there.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 11:11 AM

Cars must be parked on edges of towns at a price in CT - OK if on a wide-ranging car trip but for CT and Italian Riviera as others say definitely trains can do anything you want.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
We have decided that we will not need to rent a car for our Cinque Terre and Santa Margherita, etc. trip.
Additionally, we decided that we will fly to Venice for a few days, then get to Cinque Terre, Santa Margherita, etc and then take train to Milan where we will stay for a day instead of going somewhere in Tuscany
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 07:29 PM
kja

Should be nice!
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 08:05 AM

Yes!
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 08:51 AM

You could also fly home from Rome FCO airport (direct flights to Boston). The train journey times La Spezia - Malpensa and La Spezia Fiumicino are mor or less the same.
You could then stop over at Milan on your Venice - Sta Margherita Ligure travel.