Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Costs..would you mind sharing how much you spent on your trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I (along with all of your awesome responses and help) am planning a trip for me and my hubby to go to Scotland for 12 days (plan on flying in and out of Edinburgh) mid May. We will be self-driving and plan on a trip which will basically take us counterclockwise to Skye and back around through the Boarders back to Edinburgh. We are pretty frugal people, happy to stay in inexpensive places and could honestly care less about gourmet dining. I was hoping some of you might share the costs you incurred when all was said and done with your trips. I realize there are so many different scenarios (number of days, hotels, eating) but would love an idea of what you experienced. My biggest curiosities are the realization (or shock) of the pound vs the American dollar and gas. We will be covering a lot of ground and I want to make sure this trip is doable and realistic. I will mention, in all, I am hoping to keep the trip at no more than around $8,000 (for everything...flight, car, gas, lodging, food, fees, etc.)
Thank you for any information you can provide
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

sorry...I stated a new posts including Scotland in the title
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM

We did 15 days and spent about $6200. Saved money on food because we were so busy we skipped a bunch of lunches. When we did eat lunch we split one because they have generous portions. Had tea 3 times, drank lots of beer, saw everything we could possibly cram into those days. We didn't feel like we missed anything and lived pretty well those two weeks. We booked very early and had very nice accomodations.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Like you note, individual cost varies all over the place. You didn't say where you were flying from, but I ususally budget about $2000 for 2 to cross the pond (from the West Coast) but that can vary one way or the other by as much as $500. After that, I think it is just how you like to travel - I think it costs about the same overall as a vacation in the USA. I can stay in hostels, eat cheap and save the $ or I can go midrange or higher. I tend to spend more becasue I can budget more (now). I usually target around $450 per night (for 2), rental car, food, entertainment, drinks and gas included. On that we can live pretty well. I also think I could do it for almost half that amont if I were willing to work at it.

Last time we went to the Midlands we managed to go pretty cheap - for the first week and then spent our "savings" going pretty high in the second week. Lonely Planet has a cost estimate that I think is a good overall predictor for England and Scotland. Some people make it a contest to see how cheap they can go. I used to do that as well, but I don't have to do that anymore. For me, I figure around $200 to $250 per person per night, all costs included except air. Some folks find that extravgant, others find that cheap.

While I don't want to throw money away, I'm not willing to camp out anymore either. The advantage in GB is that you can speak the langauge and learn the tricks and find the cheaper or should I say more modest places fairly easily, I think. I'd say you have plenty of money at $8,000 for 12 days (is that 11 nights?).

Have a great trip

Joe.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Agree with above posts -- $8000 for 12 days sounds fine -- almost luxurious. My husband and I flew and drove through UK and Ireland for 30 days recently and spent less than $10,000 total. We didn't camp out nor were we deprived. We stayed in a couple of top guesthouses and the others were all very nice 3* and 4* rooms. Fine dining isn't our thing -- and that's good because meals are expensive compared to US restaurant dining. We eat heartily at the big breakfasts included, skip lunch and eat modestly (sandwiches and salads from the supermarket, pizza, even McDonalds) most evenings, going to restaurants only a couple of times a week. Get one or more good guide books (We like Rick Steves and Frommer) to see exactly what rooms and meals will cost. Renting a car from AutoEurope is often the best deal, and relying on Visa or MasterCard for car insurance is a good, no-cost way to insure against damages -- pay for the rental car with the card and decline the rental agency insurance. If there is damage, your card will be charged and then after you submit required documents, you will be reimbursed (takes a couple of months usually). $8000 should get you economy airfare, 3* or 4* B&B, auto rental, gas, tolls, meals (modest) and admissions. You will have to decide just how to allocate the funds. Enjoy your wonderful trip!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Each trip we have planned that involves US to UK travel and renting a car (paid solely by american express points to save money) it costs about $500 a day for 4 of us (indluding flights) . But that is a few cheap hotels and a few mid range and mostly packed lunches and milk and cereal breakfasts unless hotels have free breakfast. We us the extra money for sights we want to see.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM

We did a 23 day trip in June 2008 on about $4000 per person. We got airfare (from Jacksonville, FL with stops in NC and Manchester to Glasgow, and back again the same) for $823 each. There were 6 of us, and we stayed at one self-catering (3 nights in Edinburgh), and the rest B&Bs (pretty low-end pricing). We rented two cars, both minivans. We mostly ate pub food and ethnic food, but splurged a couple places (an Indian restaurant in Edinburgh, Three Chimneys on Skye, a Carvery near Killin).

I have my trip report online if you want details as to where we ate, stayed, etc, if it helps. I do them very detailed. I do lots of research ahead of time, as I enjoy it very much.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM

I am going to have to read it. We have a trip layed out that involes going through Killin and over to Blair Athol. Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM

$8,000 sounds like more than enough for 2 people. We went to Scotland 4 years ago for 12 days: Glasgow, Edinburgh, and the Isles of Skye and Mull and two towns in between whose names I've forgotten. Everything together cost about <b>$5,000</b>. But I know airfares are higher now. We stayed in B&Bs. Had two expensive dinners. No hostels for us.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM

$8000 is more than enough! We *4 of us* spent 31 days all over europe and spent $11,851.14 to be exact. And we by no means traveled frugally
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Not sure how helpful this is, because it's not Scotland...but Paris and London can be pricey compared to Scotland, I'm told.

In May, the two of us did 5 days in London and 5 days in Paris for $4600 - including everything from airfare from Philadelphia to London ($700 each) and Eurostar between the cities ($94 each).

We are pretty frugal and have "regular" hotels we like that are inexpensive but nice and well-located...plus we are not "foodies". We've been to both cities at least four times before, so we know how to get the most for our money.

However, I think airfares are significantly higher now -- perhaps $200-$300 per person more.

We've been looking at a one-week trip to Paris (with Eurostar day-trip to London) this spring and taking our sons and their wives with us. We think we can bring it in under $15,000 for the six of us...but we'll see.

$8,000 would be luxurious to us.

SS

SS