cinque terre and kids

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
IM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cinque terre and kids

Hi there,

I will going to CT for three days and 2 nights in June (part of 2.5 week Italian holiday) I am alone with a 3 year old and 5 year old. We will be staying in Corniglia. For those who have taken their children to CT, is there any part of the hike that is suitable/safe to take the kids?

Do I bother to unpack my tandem stroller for CT ? I have decided to bring it with me for the whole trip (let the kids sleep while I shop/visit museums/have long dinners, also very helpful in late airport stops/ good to push luggage when they are walking) I realize that CT is very hilly so, do I leave the stroller in the B&B.

Other kid friendly suggestions ?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I'm going to be honest and others may not agree with me but personally I would not go alone with children aged 2 and 5 to the Cinque Terre. The one trail, via dell amore, between Riomaggiore and and Manarola might be suitable for you and your children but I can't even imagine doing any of the others. You are no doubt a very brave person! My suggestion would be to spend those three days in another part of Italy and take the kiddos back when they are more like 10 and 13 and at that time it will be a spectacular experience. I'll be interested in seeing if other Fodorites agree or disagree with my advice.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I am going to agree with caroltis- we were there in the summer for the same length of time. It was very crowded in the towns' narrow lanes and I would worry about your little ones getting separated from you, unless you keep them in the stroller all the time. But there are a lot of non-stroller friendly steps all over the place; into and out of shops and cafes, etc. The part of the trail she has already described is paved and very easy and doable for your trio- although a slow and gradual incline- but you would be sharing it with a lot of other people and there are dropoffs. Further along, the really spectacular part, is out of the question! We are good hikers and no way should you take your kids there! The beaches were lovely, and there were lots of European families on holiday when I was there, which would be fun- but they are not the playing in the sand kind of beaches. I will be even more honest and share from my own experience that my kids either don't or barely remember the amazing vacations we took with them at that age- they had an incredible time, of course, enjoying it at their level, as will yours. It's just that I think the reason for going to the CT is to explore the villages and use either hiking, the "milk train" or a boat to do so and it would make me such a nervous wreck I wouldn't be able to relax to enjoy it! An agritourisimo in Tuscany with a pool, small farm animals and lots of safe places to run around made a great break from touring cities in Italy for my young nieces- something to consider? You must be an amazing mother; I hope this doesn't sound critical!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:01 AM

sglass was more descriptive and precise than I was. If you've never been to CT it's hard to understand it's complexity in regard to navigation. And in the summer they are nowhere near sleepy little fishing villages - the area is crawling with tourists. I agree that this would not be a relaxing adventure for you in any way, so I"m not sure what the benefit would be. But if you choose to omit this part of your journey...just be certain to return when the children are older...it's a stunning place!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:37 PM
IM
Original Poster

Despite the discouragement I went to CT with the two kids and had a blast, they loved it there. I loved it so much I am going back again with my two kids now 4 and 5...this time no stroller and a husband instead.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Why don't you tell us about your trip?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
IM
Original Poster

I would be happy to tell you about the trip to Italy last year. I traveled from the US to Munich to see family for two days and took a train from Munich to Florence. It was just myself and two children (3 and 5 years old). In Florence I rented a automatic minivan from the Florence airport and drove to 12 miles south of Siena to a town called Monteroni d'Arbia. We stayed at a gorgeous farmhouse-villa called San Fabiano. We had an awesome stay there and took day trips to surrounding areas for the next six days. I took my tandem stroller everywhere with me to visit Pienza, Montalcino, San Gigminagno, Siena, Lucca, Abbey di Sant' Antimo, thermal springs, and many smaller town along the way. The kids were troopers.

I had two female friends join me, one had her 5 year old daugher with her. So we were 3 women and 3 small children for part of my trip. After six days we returned the car to Florence airport and stayed there in Hotel Casci for 3 days and enjoyed the city.

Then one of my friends left for England. The rest of us, took the train from Florence to Cinque Terre via La Spezia. We stayed in Vernazza for 2 nights. We enjoyed all five towns ...sight seeing, swimming in Monterosso, eating fabulous meals. Here, I left my stroller in our rooms. We took the kids on the easy trail from Riomaggiore --> Manarola. One day my friend took care of all three kids so I could hike from Vernazza to Corniglia - took 1.5 hours.

We absolutely loved CT...and that is why we are going back this year.

After CT, we took the train from CT to Milan to Lake Como. From Lake Como we took the hydrofoil to Bellagio and stayed 2 nights there. This part of the trip was a little tricky-- 3 children, 2 strollers, 2 adult backpacks, 3 children backpacks, 4 bottles of Brunello and no elevators in train stations was tough but doable due to kind fellow travelers !

Overall, a trip of a life time for me and my children. I have great memories and beautiful pictures. My husband who was traveling in Africa at the time, was so amazed with the pics and stories that he wanted to re-do parts of the trip again this summer. We have added south France this time to the itinerary.

This forum is a great site to get ideas and recommendations...but remember to follow your heart when you make your final decisions. Happy traveling !

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM

I have to hand it to you, that sounds like a wonderful trip. Good thing you had an extra pair of hands for some of it. I just could not picture a woman alone with luggage and two kids on the CT.

I am sure other mothers would enjoy the details of such a trip. It would be encouraging to them.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Someone earlier mentioned that your children could not appreciate this tip at their ages and would better enjoy it in a few years. While I agree that they will enjoy the trip and remember more in a few years, they will remember things even at this age. I remember a family trip that my parents, brother and I took (not as spectacular as Ct, granted) when I was 3. I don't remember everything, but have definite pictures in my mind. ( My parents did not take pictures as they did not have a camera--could not afford this and were doing it on a shoestring--we ran out of gas at one point as Dad had figured things too close) When I went back a few years ago, more than fifty years after the fact, I was surprised to find many of the things as I remembered them.

I guess, what I am trying to say in my ramblings is: Go for it this summer! Follow the path from Manarola to Riomaggiore with the stroller. Go to the beach in Monterosso. Enjoy! May you enjoy the CT as much as I did!

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Irishface: "Go for it this summer! Follow the path from Manarola to Riomaggiore with the stroller"

If you read the whole thread (it was originally posted a year ago), IM took the trip last June, came back and just posted her trip report.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:49 AM

As a Mom who started taking her child on adventures starting at a very early age, I'd always get the responses, "He'll never remember", "He's too young". But, that's not the point....I remember.

At his tender age of 7 I'm amazed at what he does remember. He easily recognizes the Eiffel tower (although he's never been), the Statue of Liberty, Chrysler building and Central Park (he's only been to NYC once at age 5).

We've exposed him to the wonders of Italy (our stories and photos) and he can't wait to hike CT with us! The other day he said, "Mom when can I see David in Florence?"

Yup, he's too young to really appreciate it, so I guess we'll just have to go back again when he's older! Bummer!

I say....go for it!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Mambo_

I have to agree with those who say, don't take a 3 year old and a 5 year old to stay in the Cinque Terre, by yourself. Here's a thread I put together, with specifics about the trails themselves:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34871747

Be aware that these trails are not simple paths that are well-maintained, like national parks in the U.S. They are very gnarly in spots, narrow with loose rocks. There are many drop offs on the more challenging of them.

You and your kids might be happier staying someplace else, like Santa Margherita Ligure. Take the train to the Cinque Terre, take the ferry boat to see the marvelous coastline from the water.

You're a brave lady! I once took my two little ones, by myself, to Missouri and I thought I'd lose my mind!
Good luck and stay safe with them.
>-

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
<<Author: janisj
Date: 04/15/2008, 10:23 am
Irishface: "Go for it this summer! Follow the path from Manarola to Riomaggiore with the stroller"

If you read the whole thread (it was originally posted a year ago), IM took the trip last June, came back and just posted her trip report.>>

Adventureseeker and Mambo -- please note above . . . . .
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Mambo - I am taking my dd to Europe next spring - most likely solo for most of the trip -- and she will be 11 at time of travel - as much as I would enjoy seeing CT after all the wonderful reading I have done on it - I am thinking to pass. She recently had foot surgery and I think the recovery can be up to a year - the walking/travel I fear will be enough without adding any hiking onto it.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM

janisj, sorry I offended you by not reading the original post and its date more carefully. Consider my hands slapped and I will try to do better in the future.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Mambo_

MomDDTravel, it sounds like a nice trip you get to take with your 11 year old. And I think you're right about passing on the hiking. Will her foot surgery hamper her sightseeing in the cities, too? My daughter and I traveled together (she was 20), and we liked Santa Margherita Ligure and Nice, both seaside.
>-

P.S. Sorry for not noticing the OP date of 3/30/07. Oh, well, good information anyway.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM

I believe I am going to have to play it by ear regarding the sight seeing - the trip is 12 months out - she is only 3 weeks into recovery - it is honestly hard to say. But the good news is I will take it how we need to - if it is slow - so be it. Not really a bad thing.

I knew it was an old post but have been reading about ct and saw that she came back and posted. Seems her trip worked out for her.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
IM
Original Poster

I have to agree the CT and smaller children is not for everyone. It all about expectations and personal preferences regarding traveling. I love traveling and I love being with my children. There are definitely "trying moments" with young children especially when they are tired and hungry and don't have the maturity of older children. But as I stated earlier, those moments are forgettable ...the overall trip and experience are not.

I am glad that I did not wait 10 years ( when the children turned 12-13) to see CT. But for others, it is just not an enjoyable trip, traveling with young ones.

I hope to encourage mommies like me to do this trip.