Cinque Terre: 2 choices

Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:53 AM
KC

Cinque Terre: 2 choices

My husband and I will be staying in CT for 4 nights in July. We are in our late 20s, so we're not into the "college backpacker" kind of scene. We have a choice of staying in 2 places (so far):
1. Edi's rooms - Riomaggiore
2. Da Baranin B&B - Manarola
Has anyone stayed in these places or towns? Are there any suggestions for choosing one over the other?
Thank you!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:09 AM
adina

Hi-- I stayed in Manarola four years ago at the Marina Piccola. It is a really small village with a great cove for swimming. I can't comment on the rooms or other town but I would definitely recommmend Manarola.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
KC

adina-
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning toward Manarola, but I wanted to "talk" to people who have actually been there. Thanks!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:48 PM
RM

I stayed in one of Edi's places in Riomaggiore a few months ago. Edi basically owns several apartments and rents them out. When we were there was very off season and he had plenty of places to choose from. There were four of us and we got a place literally over the harbor with a balcony for something like $15 dollars per person. The place was clean and well maintained. Even had a small kitchen. I am not sure whether Edi takes reservations in advance, CT in July can be very crowded.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:22 AM
KC

I actually was able to get a reservation at both places, I just have to decide which one I want to take.

How important is it which town you stay in there? Are they all very close to each other?

Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:19 AM
Nancy

Since the 5 towns comprising the Cinque Terre (from south to north -- Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, Monterosso al Mare) are connected by a pathway that runs along the coast, then technically they're all within "walking distance". That being said, you do need to understand the walking time can range from about 30 minutes (between Riomaggiore-Manarola) up to 90 minutes (between Corniglia-Vernazza and between Corniglia-Vernazza). I'm quoting these hike times from Rick Steve's Italy 2000.
When I made a day trip to CT, I opted for the local train to go from Riomaggiore up to Monterosso (train time is real quick) --- then took the boat from Monterosso to Vernazza (and again, doesn't take very long and boat ride afforded a lovely scenic view of the cliffsides.

I don't know if the boat times running between the towns are available on-line or not, but when you're there it's easy enough to pick up a schedule.

Also, I think a portion of the trails were closed during winter rains --- presume they're all open or will be by the spring ?

Search this Thread