Cinque Terra Tips & Lodging

Jul 28th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Karen

Cinque Terra Tips & Lodging

We are only going to be in Cinque Terra for two days, coming from Milan. Looking at renting a car or should we come by train?
Also, any hotel and hiking suggestions would be appreciated. We would only need lodging for 1 Friday night in September...can we pick a hotel when we arrive? Thanks

Jul 28th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Topper

Please see two messages sent to the top for you, and do a search for tons more info on the Cinque Terre.

Take the train; you will have to leave the car once you reach the area anyway.

Jul 28th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Phyllis

Take food and water (lots of water) on the hike between Monterossa and Vernazza. It's gorgeous but you will get thirsty. Wear good hiking boots! Have fun.

Jul 28th, 2000, 01:03 PM
terre

We stayed in Santa Margerhita and took the train in the morning from Santa Margerhita to the first town in the Cinque Terre. This little town is beautiful and well located also for a short boat ride to Portofino. Stayed in a wonderful little hotel but can't find the name.

Jul 28th, 2000, 04:06 PM
Frank

We were just there in June for three nights and stayed in Manarola, which I would recommend (pretty, perhaps slightly less crowded and busy than Vernazza, and certainly less so than Monterosso, a nice waterfront (Corniglia has none), good restaurants, etc. We stayed in "Da Baranin," a bed and breakfast which has a web site and can confirm a room by e-mail ([email protected]). I'd also highly recommend it -- friendly and accomodating staff, and a nice patio where breakfast is served. You can even check your e-mail from their computer if you're so inclined.
From what I've read, you could probably find somewhere to stay once you arrive (probably not a hotel, but rather an affittacamere or B&B), but there's some comfort in having a place already lined up, especially after a long flight and the train ride from Milano.
There are some nice hikes from Manarola (or from any of these villages), either along the well-trodden main path connecting them, or higher among the vineyards and ridges overlooking the beautiful blue Ligurian Sea.
Oh, and definitely take the train -- it's an easy connection, and a car is completely useless in these villages. Be glad to answer further questions either here or by e-mail.

Jul 28th, 2000, 04:09 PM
elizabeth

This month's Gourmet Magazine (popsicles on the cover) has a GREAT article on Cinque Terre - lots of hotel/restaurant suggestions.

Jul 28th, 2000, 04:14 PM
Frank

Oh, here's another thought in light of the post recommending good hiking boots. While I'm a lifelong avid hiker, reside in the mountains, and appreciate the value of good boots, you should know that I did some fairly strenuous hikes in the Cinque Terre wearing only my Tevas and did fine. My wife wore some good Ecco walking shoes and also fared well. Personally, I would not pack hiking boots for a trip to Europe because of the bulk and weight, unless I were really doing some serious assaults on some big mountains or some really long multi-day trip. A good pair of walking shoes will suffice for almost any day hike, in my opinion. It helps if you're conditioned to walking so that your ankles don't need the support that high-topped boots provide, and you still should watch your step in rocky terrain, but that's a precaution I'd recommend for anyone, boot-clad or not. Just one person's opinion.

Jul 29th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Cara

Karen,
Would recommend taking the train as the drive can be treacherous. Stayed at a lovely hotel, Villa Steno, in Monterosso in May. Great views, fabulous breakfast and wonderful helpful staff. The rooms are spotless and spacious with a lovely porch to view the sea. Recommend it highly for 1 night or greater.
Cara