Ciao from Roma

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Vita

Ciao from Roma

Hi, all. I was e-mailing my parents and thought I'd drop a quit line. Rome is great. I have no basis for comparison, but it doesn't look like tourism has been affected here at all. There's tons of tourists here and Rome is amazing. Security at Dulles and Newark airports was noticably different, but not oppresive. I kept setting off the metal detector at Newark and, when they realized it was my shoes, they X-rayed them! Thank god it was my shoes. I thought you guys were kidding about the flying naked policy.

Anyway, I'm so glad I came. The architecture is surreal. I don't know when I'll be checking my e-mail again, but feel free to ask me any questions. If nothing else, I'll get to them when I return after the 19th. I'll also be visiting Siena and Florence.

By the way, I love my hotel. Pensione Panda near the Spanish Steps. Single room, no bath, but it's right next to me and it's so clean. A steal for 80.000. Ciao.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 11:57 PM
Helen Donegan

Wow Vita - what a relief - after all the agony you went through. I am so happy for you.
Rome is the love of my life, I am glad you like to too-

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Jessica

Vita-

I will be in Rome tomorrow. Glad to know all is well. Have a fantastic trip, I know we will!!!

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:22 AM
nancy

Vita,
Enjoy every second there!
Roma e` una bellissima citta!
I can't wait to go back.
hope you are having nicer weather today than we are in Vermont.
Rainy, dark, windy and cool.
Wish I could be a bed -potato

Can't wait to hear more upon your return.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:54 AM
gina

Hi Nancy:
we are here in New York State just across from Vermont on Lake Champlain and we have a nice weather with some sunshine, great foliage and crisp warm air. Take a ferry and enjoy this part of the Northeast.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Ana

WEnt to Rome expecting something else. People are way too rude. We are intelligent people, we just donīt speak the language, they donīt have to treat us like retarded people. The food was nothing out of this world. We got ripped off at the Via Veneto but we were expecting it. There are many sites, and the Via Condoti is great for shopping, but still, Florence and Venice were our favorites

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Capo

Hi Vita. Glad to hear you're enjoying Rome and, yes, it is an amazing city. Also glad to hear you love the Pensione Panda because that's where we stayed for four nights in March, after someone on this board recommended it. It's nothing fancy (as you know) but, for that location, a great value.

I put off going to Rome for years because of negatives I'd heard about it but, once I got there, I couldn't understand any of the complaints. It didn't seem that noisy or that crowded and, overall, we didn't get hit by pickpockets, and we found the people to be very friendly. I'm definitely going back!

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:35 AM
s.fowler

Morgning Capo -- up early are we??

Vita -- thanks for posting -- I see Rome has "all mod cons" I still have letters written to me on my first trip -- marked "hold for arrival" -- how the world has changed!

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Book Chick

Vita, how delightful to hear from you! I'm am going to try to get to Rome in January, since my trip to Paris this month was cancelled.

Enjoy & report back!

BC

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Joanne

Hi again Vita:

Wished you a great trip just before you left and it would appear you're having one. I'm another one who loves Rome (returning in May). I agree with Capo--no negatives for us on any of our visits to this very special city.

Continue to enjoy yourself; look forward to hearing again when you return home.

j

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 10:05 AM
nancy

hi Gina,
we are at opposite ends of the state and opposite sides!
But, someday I would love to do the ferry from VT-NY.
Rain gone, sun out, cool now.

Rome,
I thought that after living in VT for 30 yrs, that I would have found Rome overwhelming.
Not in the least!
Of course, "living" in an apartment right off the Piazza Farnese may not have been the "real" rome,
BUT, I found I just thrived on the city and it's energy.

Capo, does the Panda have any rooms with baths?
I loved our hotel, the del Senato.
but, if I ever go to rome on my own, Io would definitely want a cheaper place to stay. Thanks

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 11:54 AM
pollster

Gerry: Beats me too.

Vita: Sorry to have jumped into your thread that way. Have a great trip.
Try to make it to the Keats house (right by the Steps) -- I found it very interesting and moving. The building housing his apartment is over 300 years old and has pretty much been left as it was when he died there. After that you might want to take tea at Babbington's Tea Room, also by the Steps. (excellent!)