Church Appropriate Attire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ok for a woman to wear a knee-length skirt into Italian churches (including St. Peter's and the Duomo among others)? Capri pants? Also, I assume tank tops (even if fancy) are not appropriate, but are nice tee-shirts (e.g. a fitted, knit top with short sleeves)? Are flip-flops OK? Nicer sandals? If not, what shoes does one wear (sneakers, loafers, etc.)?

I will be in Rome and Florence in September and am worried about having to carry around too much clothing and getting hot.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Shoulders and belly covered, skirt or pants to mid-knee or below. No rules about areas south of the knees that I know of.

Keep a shawl, scarf or lightweight openweave sweater in your tote if your top exposes shoulders or tummy. Skirt or capris will take care of the lower half.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Appropriate attire in churches usually refers to shoulders covered and pants or skirts to the knee. I've worm sandals in churches with no repercussions. But I've seen little old ladies who are probably parishioners of their neighborhood church read the riot act to those not properly dressed (Or acting with decorum), and I've seen a guard turn away a woman tourist who tried to enter St Paul's Outside the Walls in Rome in short-shorts and a tube top. What was she possibly thinking!?!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM

I don't think I'll be able to get my husband to give up his jeans on our trip next May. Are jeans appropriate?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
ira

Hi B,

>Are jeans appropriate?

No, but you'll be allowed in.

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Ira, great answer

No tanks for men or women. Carry a wrap if that is a problem.

I wear slacks or mid calf skirts with twin set or cap sleeve t's. Flip flops are not IMO good footwear for extensive walking and too casual for St. Peters, though you will be allowed in.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM

It has nothing to do with quality or formality of clothing but rather with whether the shoulders, bellies, and legs above the knee are covered.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's amazing to me, after reading countless threads and intense analyses of all manner of clothing items, that this question persists. (I admit the flipflops/sandals/shoes/sneakers/loafers tangent is new.)

What has happened that people do not know what is appropriate attire to wear in a church?

Sorry if this offends, but I'm curious.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM

I've never been to church in my life bar the odd wedding or tourist visit.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:52 PM

I came a cropper at a UK wedding last year - I've only been to CofE churches (don't really care what you wear, within reason) and continental Catholic ones (clothing rules). So when I went to a wedding here in the UK I wore a nice summery dress, just past my knees, but with spaghetti straps. Luckily I'd taken a wrap just for the look of the outfit and to keep me warm at the evening reception, as bare shoulders were not acceptable at that pentacostal church. I didn't know? Seems weird to me - the bride and bridesmaids had those bodice style dresses with no straps at all...
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Considering the fact that nuns and monks wear sandals, it would be amusing if they were not permitted at the Vatican.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:20 AM

Curious...what do you wear to your home church?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM

That question assumes that people have a home church...
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Jean, "What has happened that people do not know what is appropriate attire to wear in a church?"

I was at the Duomo in Pisa on Saturday & they had paper wraps, cleverly constructed so they could be worn as a hip-length tabard (presumably to cover the torso), a shawl or tied round the waist as a skirt, but there was nobody to advise and people seemed to be wearing them completely randomly - e.g. as a tabard over short shorts.

And how about this ? Overheard in a church in Barga last week...

Son (est. c.10) : "That's a cross, right ?"

Father : "Yes, that's right."

Son : "What's that under it ?"

Father : "I'm not sure. Maybe where someone is buried ? Or maybe an altar. Yes, it's an altar."

Son : "What's an altar ?"

Also seen on holiday this year - people carrying cups of coffee in church, people eating ice creams in church
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM

A hooded cassock is always appropriate. Sandals go well.