COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christopher Street 2014 w/school age kids?

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I just noticed that Christopher Street will be happening while we are in Cologne this summer. I'll be traveling with a rising 7th grader & 3rd grader. Should I worry? We are from a major city and both kids have friends with two dads or two moms. My kids attend a bi-lingual school, and have solid language skills, so there is a good chance they will understand what is being said (I mean to a point....)

But, what parents do and what adults do without kids are two different things! I'm all for celebrating the different types of people, but don't want to get into seeing body parts that are normally covered in a parade. Is Christopher Street more San Fran in the 60s or more Dupont in the 2010? Or just stay away at night, and the day should be fine?
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM

I would just Google images from the last CSD fest and parade to see if you want to go to the parade or not. I know at the one here in Frankfurt, one does see some pretty risque outfits and behavior. Other than that, if you don't want your kids to see the parade, etc. you could just go hang out in some other part of the city instead of near the festival location.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:24 AM

Yes,
It's good to stay at home at night or you can hang out with your children many kids places which are available like many movies are available for kids so you can go and watch out the movie.

Bearfootplay
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:29 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...=1600&bih=1075

Naw don't think I'd take my 3rd grader to this skin show:
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:44 AM

It doesn't look suitable for an 8 year old or a 12 year old. There's plenty of time for them to see that sort of thing once they're older.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 06:16 AM

I can tell you from personal experience that your "major city" is not going to hold a candle to some of the things you might see in some European "gay pride" celebrations. The parade in Cologne will probably vary between the fun-loving and the more overtly sexual displays. There will be congregations of folks near the route.

Whether or not it will be the same as some of the straight open sex on the streets of the French Quarter I've seen during Mardi Gras I doubt.

Simply stay away from the area in question and you won't even know anything is being celebrated.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM

The Cologne parade is during the day and goes right through the city center. Overtly sexual displays are not be expected (i.e display of private parts and public intercourse). Locals may not explicitely take their 6 or 8yo to the CSD parade but they will sure not lock them up at home. The major impact will be tram and bus diversions or interruptions.
At night, the parties will focus on the two gay neighborhoods: South of Heumarkt and North of Rudolfplatz. Both not exactly huge areas and usually not where most touristy places like the brewery pubs are located.