Christmas week...suggestions?

Oct 15th, 2001, 08:11 AM
emily

Christmas week...suggestions?

We want to go to a lively place for a week which doesn't close for long over the Christmas period. We did NY 2 years ago, and shops opened on Boxing Day, and it was brilliant!

Our 'maybe's are: Berlin, Prague, Florence, Seville, Rome, Stockholm.

Anyone know which are lively and which are not?

Dates 23/12-31/12

Thanks

Oct 15th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Mónica

If you are planning to shop for sales, avoid Seville. Sales start on January 7th, here.

Oct 16th, 2001, 01:57 AM
john

Will you be going alone?
Berlin looks the best bet, great nightclubs and no closing times

Oct 16th, 2001, 02:13 AM
Gaia

What is boxing day?

Oct 16th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Ingrid

Of the cities you listed, i'd vote for Berlin: lots of things happening! Culture, restaurants, great 'scene', museums...

Oct 16th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Joanne

Boxing Day is Dec. 26. Most museums and other attractions and many stores in the UK are closed Dec. 24 through 26.

In the US, stores generally close between 4 and 6 PM on Dec. 24. They are all open on Dec. 26, sometimes very early in the AM, for after-Christmas sales.

I'm told that the name comes from the habit of the wealthy "boxing" their old stuff on the day after they got all that new stuff on Christmas, to give the boxes of their used stuff to the help.

Oct 16th, 2001, 09:47 AM

What do tourists do Dec 24-26 since most things are closed? I was considering London and Paris during Xmas but am wondering if anything will be open besides my hotel? Suggestions?

Oct 16th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Helen Donegan

A lot of people coming to Italy over the Christmas period have the same problem - the cities are wonderful leading up to the actual holiday but what do they do on the 25th & 26th?
I have organised a three-day "dream Christmas" in a beautiful Country House Hotel here in Umbria - my intention is to make Christmas elegant, traditional and fun.
If anyone is interested just send me an email.

Oct 19th, 2001, 03:21 AM
emily

Thanks for these.

I think Reykjavik may be good for nature lovers, but we (me and my man) are leaning towards Berlin. I thought, though that in Germany everything closed lunchtime Christmas eve for 2.5 days.

Is this true?

Emily

Oct 21st, 2001, 02:10 AM
christina

ciao emily

yeah berlin is great! a crazy town with a lot to do and to see. i wouldn't worry too much about this two days, this city is so fun that you can do easy things and in berlin you will find allways something open. it's a long time ago since i've been there but i had a lot of fun.

a hint: if you want to fly with a good airline (not american - depends what you want) try lufthansa. they are clean, friendly, fast and normally very much in time.

maybe here you can find more helpful information:

http://www.berlin.de/home/English/

and there's something else why berlin is cool. here in italy (i live in florence) is no tradition of pre-christmas and christmas decoration, i noticed it stops in switzerland. but in the north there you can find all the beautiful christmas decoration.

have fun emily and enjoy!!

tanti saluti

christina

Oct 21st, 2001, 03:34 AM
Helen Donegan

Christmas decorations in Italy tend to be more subtle than in northern Europe or the US but they can be equally as beautiful. Each town has it’s own style of lighting and decoration – style of course being the operative word, this being Italy!
http://www.skola.umea.se/grubbero/co.../christmas.htm
Gubbio prides itself in having the “Biggest Christmas Tree in the World”:
http://members.it.tripod.de/Caino/index-7.html

The Vatican receives a Christmas tree from a different country every year and St Peter’s square is beautifully decorated as you can see:
http://hometown.aol.com/sloopjohne/p...aly_Rome1.html
It also has a large Christmas crib of course, and you will find wonderful examples of cribs all over the country because Italians have always placed a lot of importance on the religious aspect of Christmas – as well as the family and eating!