Christmas markets 2014

Apr 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Christmas markets 2014

I'm looking to head over to London for Christmas 2014 and am wanting to include a short holiday to Europe to visit the Christmas markets (~7d). I love Switzerland, especially the lakes and mountains, but am keen to see new places / countries. I'd like to avoid major cities as I'll get my city fix in London.

I'm a single female so I'm a little unsure about how best to do it,, a tour? If so can you recommend good companies - trafalgar have a tour that looked good. I usually book everything myself however I've never travelled in winter with the shorter days and I want to feel safe if I go out while it's dark... (I'm mid thirties and very sporty)

Appreciate any help?
Apr 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM

You might want to look at visiting Munich. I've gone twice for the markets as they have a main one and many smaller ones throughout town. You can also take the train to Augsburg and Salzburg for their markets as well. Salzburg we enjoyed a few days to see the sights so not just for their market but very possible as a day trip from Munich. I've not done a tour of the markets so can't offer advice on companies that offer tours but I would not feel unsafe if I where going there alone. Use caution and stay away from any place gives you the creeps and you will be fine. You will have a great time no matter what you chose.
Apr 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Cheers sassy
Apr 6th, 2014, 12:47 AM

Paris is an easy trip to London and has a few markets.

If you are going before 24 Dec you will have lots of options - most German markets close on 24 Dec.

http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Germany.html

Strasbourg is lovely that time of year and all of Alsace is famous for the Xmas markets. You can see our pics from 2008 here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7612385490187/

We also enjoyed the markets in Bruges.

I wouldn't worry about being out after dark in the areas of the markets - there will be lots if people around!

Enjoy!!
Apr 6th, 2014, 06:11 AM

You don't have to leave England to visit Christmas Markets (unless you want to) they are an increasing trend here. Bath is fantastic (and a lovely city to visit at any time.) It may be called a city but its not big and you can easily walk where ever you want to go.

Several other British towns also now have well established Christmas although many only last for about 4 days (usually the first weekend in December). Bury St.Edmunds is nice - with a more "real" feel. (ie ot as up-market as Bath)
Apr 6th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll be visiting markets through out England but intend to spend a week to 10days in Europe on a holiday from my holiday (if that makes sense). Ideally I want some snow which I won't get in / around London. I'm looking to head over early December
Apr 6th, 2014, 05:03 PM

Germany is a good location for Christmas markets. The most famous are Nürnberg, the biggest and Dresden, which is the oldest of the markets, but pretty much every city has markets (Köln has 7). Strasbourg (in France) also has a famous market.

Lavandula
Apr 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM

A rec. for a great small tour company is Gerhard's Odysses. www.christmastrips.com He has a max of 28 on his tours, stays right in town and has great local meals. You see atmospheric Cheers! small towns with good markets and small out-of-the-way factories and places of interest. The tours fill up quickly (may already be full for this year) but it is a wonderful way to experience the markets in an easy fashion.
Apr 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM

Sorry about Cheers! I should have previewed.
Apr 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM

I don't think anything comes close to the Christmas markets in Germany and the ones in Salzburg and Vienna.
Apr 7th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll look at the link to the tour company
Apr 7th, 2014, 04:27 AM

A Christmas Market tour package? Now I think I have seen everything...
Apr 10th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks good links