Christmas Market driving trip starting in Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw someone posted a similar question a few weeks ago but was goign to be further north. My parents and I will be meeting in Frankfurt on 1 Dec, and they will fly back on the morning of 9 Dec. We would like to do a leisurely tour of a variety of Christmas markets.

My initial idea is to choose two "home base" places, and take day trips to a couple places from each base.

We'd like to do Bamberg and Nurnberg, and perhaps something on the Rhine or Mosel.

I'm looking for recommendations as to places to choose as fairly central locations to base ourselves out of as well as suggestions for another market or two that would be convenient to visit. I'd like to do a nice mix of at least one big impressive market and small quaint, more traditional ones.

And we'll have a car.

Any other suggestions of other christmasy things we could do with our time (we can't shop all day every day) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Carrie
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Here's what I'd suggest:

1st base: Nürnberg with day trips to Bamberg and/or Regensburg and/or Würzburg.

2nd base: Baden-Baden or Freiburg with day trips to, well, Freiburg or Baden-Baden (i.e. the one where you are not staying), definitely Strasbourg and perhaps Heidelberg or Karlsruhe or Gengenbach. If you're lucky there will be snow in the Black Forest (there is right now) for some winter wonderland experience. Besides, there are the spas to get warm afterwards.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Carrie, quokka's advice is good, but here are my two (or three) cents worth:

Bamberg is a great place to visit for the charm, but its market isn't all that impressive. Nurnberg of course is the granddaddy of the Christmas markets. Finding reasonable hotels in Nurnberg might be more of a challenge. You might even look into Coburg as a base. Coburg is overlooked by most on this board, but has a lot to recommend it. (Especially the sausages - cooked over pinecones.)

If you really want to see both the Rhine and Mosel, then look at using Koblenz as a base.

Go Tigers!!
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I don't particularly want to see both the Rhine and Mosel; I was just thinking of that area in general. Of course if there's enough to entertain us for a week simply basing ourselves in the previously mentioned area, that'd be fine too.

I'll run the Baden Baden/Freiburg idea past the parents. Not sure how into the spa idea they are

I'll look into Coburg too.

Any other recommendations?

Geaux Tigers
Carrie
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Just seeing my parents in a spa WITH bathing suits would put me off Baden Baden.

Heidelberg has a pretty nice market near the base of the castle hill.

Frankfurt's Christmas market is pretty impressive and shouldn't be overlooked.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Try to get to both Regensburg and Passau. As for activities other than the wonderful markets, look into church and other concerts.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Have you see this website?
http://tinyurl.com/3zlpq

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM

As you consider your itinerary, think about how often you want to change hotels, but also being in a town to experience the market after dark. The atmosphere during the day is not the same as it is at night. Try to get to at least one after dark.

I highly suggest the market in Michelstadt -- one of the largest, most beautiful and the most crowded.

Christmas markets aren't just shopping! There is also eating, drinking, people watching, sometimes games and rides, sometimes craft demonstrations. I've even seen cookie baking and chocolate making! Every market is unique.

Once you decide what towns you'll visit, check the local TI for information on local concerts or plays. There are often special presentations at the "opening ceremonies" or at designated times during the markets.

And, be sure to walk around town and investigate the smaller squares. These squares often have nicely decorated Christmas trees.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM

If you decide on the Baden Baden area, be sure to include the Stuttgart Christmas market. It is as good or better than the famous Nurnberg market. And the Strasbourg market is supposed to be very good.

Jinx Hoover
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input!

@Wanderfrau: are there any markets in particular you would recommend for a really nice "after hours" feel? Also, are there any that would be likely to have more of that "not just shopping" stuff, like demonstrations etc? Those all sound like great things to consider; just not sure how to find out those kinds of little details without hearing from those who have been before

NanBug: Thanks for the link; I had seen that but had forgotten. But they all sound nice there! Just looking for any personal raves or "don't bothers."

Lots to process, keep the suggestions coming!!

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 01:22 AM

My favorite Christkindlmarket is Nuremburg, hands down. Lots of gingerbread and gluweiss.

And, personally, I would take in Berlin. One of the greatest and most underrated cities in the world, with a decent Christmas market and a variety of free Christmas concerts.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

what does anyone think of staying in Rothenburg? If we were going to be making day trips every day and returning in the evenings
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM

I agree with Wanderfrau - Michelstadt is a winner. It has coziness about it that I really like. If you are there on the weekend, it almost like a "county fair" with people from the surrounding area seeing friends. It is also not a bad drive from Frankfurt airport. I usually make it my first night's stay. The Drei Hassen Hotel is right in the middle of the market area.

Another market in the same style [small town] that I really like is Bad Wimpfen. From Michelstadt it's really kind of nice drive along the Neckar River.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM

The larger markets in the larger cities tend to have more demos and other activities.

I like the evening atmosphere in the smaller towns where there are more locals and less of a crowd.

I think Rothenburg is in general too touristy, but many on this board love it. There is a nice Christmas tree/ornament museum worth visiting.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Glad that someone else besides me finally mentioned Stuttgart. It is the largest and by far the best Christmas market that I have been to in Germany. And I'm not saying that just because I live here!

http://www.stuttgart-tourist.de/ENG/...achtsmarkt.htm
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
ComfyShoes

<i>just because I live here</i>

Do you mean they also have you on commission, hausfrau? Only kidding, obviously wanderfrau, hausfrau, it is all getting confusing.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to follow up to this thread. We ended up visiting several markets - Michelstadt, Nuremberg, Dinkelsbuhel, Bamberg, Rothenburg, Bad Wimpfen, and Miltenberg.

After my parents flew into Frankfurt we ended up driving to Michelstadt, which was a wonderful introduction to Germany and the Christmas markets. Very local feel (although the weather left a bit to be desired - cold and rainy), festive, and tons of different foods to choose from. The selection for shopping wasn't great but it was a wonderful little town. We stayed at the Drie Hasen which was wonderful! thanks for the suggestion)

The following day we spent some of the morning walking around Michelstadt (the market didnt open til afternoon) then drove to Dinkelsbuhel. Very cute little town. Their Christmas market was all on the grounds of the city museum, with an artisan's market inside. Another very local feeling place - most of the sellers I spoke to came from within 90 km of the village. I met a lovely lady who was born and raised in Dinkelsbuhel who spends the whole year making crafts (I think she had christmas tree skirts, doll clothes, and Christmas ornaments made of pasta) while she watched Television and spent time with her family) to sell at next years market. The village children ran around selling tombola tickets, and there was a quaintly charming yet sad collection of prizes (my mother got a small stuffed kermit the frog from a Happy Meal

We left Dinkelsbuhel and drove to Rothenburg, which would be our home base for the next few nights. It was about 7pm, and the market in Rothenburg had already closed for the night. I was disappointed at how early the markets closed down - pretty much all of them closed sometime between 7 and 9

We made day trips to Nuremberg and Bamberg from our Rothenburg home base. Then we left Rothenburg and visited Bad Wimpfen, then stayed 2 nights in Miltenberg before heading out to the airport to drop of mom and dad.

This was a dream come true trip for my mother, and they both had a wonderful time. Thank you all so much for the suggestions and input!

Carrie
The verdicts:

Nuremberg was of course a must see. Just staggeringly big. And had the most tasty food although I felt like Michelstadt had better variety of food. the Nuremberg market did get a bit repetitive - many many stalls seemed to have the same Christmas ornaments over and over.

Bamberg I think won the award for neatest town. We really enjoyed wandering around there. The market itself was pretty small and low key but the town was a gem.

Favorite overall experience for me went to Bad Wimpfen. So fun, festive, the town was adorable, the people were friendly, definite winner.

I was surprised at how lame Rothenburg's Christmas market was, given the amount of christmasyness that spews out of every other pore in the town. It was a very neat town, though. We stayed quite a ways down into the &quot;neck&quot; of the town, almost to the south gate, and that proved to be a bit too much of a walk to make it a really covenient place to stay, especially with my mom who sometimes has a hard time getting around. But the place we stayed was adorable - the Golden Rose, in an apartment style room above the restaurant. It was cheap and so cute - we had a little living room complete with fully decorated christmas tree!

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Glad to hear you had a great trip!

I agree with you about Rothenburg's Christmas market. I guess they figure the rest of the town has enough Christmasyness! (Is that a new word we've invented?) It's certainly a magical place to visit at Christmas (or any time of year), but I've warned people before not to expect a lot from the market.

Bad Wimpfen is one of my favorite towns in Baden-Wuerttemberg. Glad you enjoyed it!

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM

I'm SOOOO glad that you liked Bad Wimpfen. I tell everybody who'll listen what a wonderful place it is.

We spent 3 nights there a couple of years ago (May) and did day trips to Dinkelsbuehl and Schwabisch Hall. We also thought the town was adorable, there were very few tourists (especially American), and the people were very friendly.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to post a follow-up. There always seems to be questions about Christmas markets and you have provided some very helpful feedback.

Glad you enjoyed Michelstadt!