Reload this Page >

Christmas in Vienna - need advice for short stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:49 PM
Amy

My husband and I will be arriving in Vienna from Minneapolis at 3:30 pm on 12/22. To my great disappointment, the Lippizans are off from 12/23 - 12/29 (I've wanted to see the stallions perform in Vienna since I was a child). Are there any other opportunities to see them, even if informally? Also, we'd like to visit some Christmas markets in Vienna and do some site-seeing. Unfortunately, our time is very limited since we leave for Salzburg on Christmas Day. Suggestions anyone? Also, will the markets & shops be open on 12/23, which is a Sunday? What about Christmas Eve? I really want to make the most of our short time there!<BR>Thank you for your help!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:33 PM
bettyk

Check out this website: http://info.wien.at/ for information on the Christmas markets, etc. The big market at the Rathausplatz (City Hall Building on the Ringstrasse) is open until 24 Dec. The others appear to be open until Dec. 23 or later. It is a great website with lots of information to help you plan your stay.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:17 PM
Linda

You may be able to see them train at the training area. Many people said that they enjoyed that more than the real performances. The Rathaus Christmas market is nice and the city hall's windows are lit like an advent calendar--so cool. Have coffee and torte at Demel's, weinerschnitzel at Figlmullers, wine at a cafe in the Vienna Woods.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Julie

I second the recommendation for Figlmuller's. A friend of mine who is Austrian says that whenever they go back to visit family they always make the time to have a meal there:<BR><BR>Figlmuller (Budget/Moderate – No credit cards)<BR>Wollzelle 5<BR>0222/512-6177 phone<BR>A typical Viennese tavern (beisel) that serves Wiener schnitzel. Their portions are legendary – it spills over your plate. Very centrally located.<BR><BR>Although it's tucked away, it's still in the center and if you want something special you might want to try:<BR><BR>Brezel-Gwolb (Budget)<BR>Lederhof 9 (take Drahtgasse off Am Hof)<BR>01/533-8811 phone<BR>I fell in love with this little place and ended up eating several meals there throughout the week. Fabulous spaetzle.<BR><BR>The website provided to you is a good one, but you might also want to try: www.timeout.com, then to to Vienna.<BR><BR>Re stores hours: I found when I was there that a lot of the them tend to close early on either Saturday or Sunday. But maybe that close to Christmas they might be open longer.<BR><BR>Don't forget to go to the Prater (amusement park). I just had to have a ride on the infamous Ferris Wheel (Riesenrad) - guess I'd seen "The Third Man" one too many times. Speaking of which I understand that there is a "Third Man" walking tour given by students. If you ask around at the tourist information places they'll be able to help you track them down. Just as a note: when I was last there it was the middle of December the park was still open and they were still giving rides.<BR><BR>Also worth getting out to, but it doesn't take that long on the u-bahn:<BR><BR>Schonbrunn Palace<BR>Schonbrunner Schlosstrasse (ake the u-bahn to Schonbrunn)<BR>0222/81-113 phone<BR>This is the Habsburg’s summer residence that some say could rival Versailles. The headphone tour was excellent. On the grounds in the back of the Palace was a place where you could have coffee and cakes (even lunch). It had a fabulous view and was a reward for the schlep up the hill to get there.<BR><BR>And as was previously mentioned, the big market at the Rathausplatz is a definite must see.<BR><BR>You'll have so much on your to-do list that you'll just have to come back...I'm sure you'll hook up with the Lippizans at some point!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 09:14 AM
mark

Just got back from Vienna - a beautiful city. Had some wonderful meals. I had dinner at Korso in the Hotel Bristol. This is the best meal - food, ambience, service - that I have ever experienced. It is an easy city to walk around without feeling lost. The metro is superb. <BR><BR>One bad note - a few days after I returned to NYC my credit card company called me to inform me about some unusal activity on my account. The restaurant, Neu Wein, tried to apply 8 fraudulant charges to my account - over $1000 . The charges were all declined.