Reload this Page >

Christmas in Germany - 2001

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 04:34 PM
patrick johnson

Hi, <BR> We are planning a trip to Germany for Christmas. We are going to be there from the 15th to the 27th. We would like to be in Rothenburg from the 23rd to the 26th, is this too long in that area? What are some of the suggested places to go in that area? How is the weather, are the tourist sights closed at that time of the year? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:40 AM
John

Hi: <BR> <BR> <BR> You wll be in for a treat. The Christmas Markets will be in full swing! Do a search on that subject and you will read what a wonerful time it is! RothenbUrg is one of the best. You can base there a day trip up to Nurenburg for the largest Christmas Market in gERMANY <BR>john <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Hans H

The christmas markets normally close on the 23rd. Most shops are open until early evening of the 24th but all are closed for the 25-26th. Tourist sights might be open but many will be closed for at least one of the days. Christmas is very much a family holliday in Germany and therefore many places shut down since the buisiness isn't worth spending christmas working.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:06 PM
ingrid

I agree with Hans: Make sure to check before to see what is open. I suggest to stay in a tourist destination (e.g. ski resort). Otherwise there isn't much to do over Christmas.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Russell Wayne

The earlier posters are providing good advice. Do check on what's open before going. We stayed at the Hotel Eisenhut and were very pleased. Ate dinner at the Mittermeier, also excellent. I think you might want to stay there for no more than two days. Rothenburg is tiny and takes little time to see. Once you've seen Rothenburg, the other towns along the Romantic Road may be of interest, but you'll probably like Rothenburg best. Mad King Ludwig's castle at Neuschwanstein isn't far away, but I wouldn't make a special trip. It's nice to see it from a distance and then move on. The innards are nothing special. The old town in Nurnberg is supposed to be great. I'd also recommend a tour of the old Nazi rally grounds, about 10 minutes outside the city. We spent 3 fascinating hours there led by a Welshman who was with the local historical society. You can find the information at http://www.geschichte-fuer-alle.de/. Just remember to dress warmly.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Ann

Patrick, we stayed in Rothenburg several times for the Christmas holidays, and really loved it because the multitudes of tourists vanish after the Christmas market shuts down and only residents from inside the walls remain. I wrote in another post to a similar question that some of the special things about the last few days before Christmas in Rothenburg were the German post office delivering mail from a bright yellow, horse-drawn "stagecoach" piled with boxes and a live tree on the roof; special concerts in the cathedral, which is lit by candles on wreaths lowered from the ceiling and the big trees on either side of the altar; all the white lights on trees outside the buildings; a tray of goodies from the family that ran the hotel (Reichs Kuchenmeister) beside our door when we returned from an afternoon walk - fruit, nuts, a bottel of Franconian wine, lebkuchen, and a card; traditional German Christmas Eve dinner for the few hotel guests who remained, and the family - goose, red cabbage, potato dumplings. When we awoke Christmas morning, it had snowed during the night, dusting the town and dampening any sounds escept the church bells. Heaven. Do check the church's concert schedule if you enjoy such events; it will be a lasting memory for you. I don't think it's too much time to spend there because you'll have the chance to unwind and really get to know the town, on your own. The nightwatchman still makes his rounds during the holidays, there are just fewer people to accompany him. And the local singing groups perform nightly on the steps of the town hall. It's a special place to spend the holiday. I highly recommend Reichs Kuchenmeister, and also recommend the room at the back of the main house, on the corner of the side street. Have a wonderful holiday.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:04 AM