Reload this Page >

Christmas in Europe with 2 teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Tracy

We are looking for a wonderful European place to spend Christmas. We want a place that celebrates a traditional Christmas. I was thinking of Austria, Switzerland or Germany. We can be gone for two weeks. We are thinking about 2 days somewhere in there for skiing. Any thoughts?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:26 AM
topper

Topping: Anybody?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Shain

Hi tracy,<BR>those three countries are very nice to see, because after your (if u are american) Thanks giving day, you will find x-mas markets in many cities around germany. The bigest one will be, like the others until 23.dec, in nuremberg. But also look out for D&uuml;sseldorf, or munich, or vienna.<BR>This really holds a x-mas spirit in itself, with traditionalartworks all over those countries.<BR>If you only like two days of skiing I suggest to return from munich to the US.<BR>Why, because you can stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and enjoy Skiing on top of germans highes mountain the "Zugspitze". You can take easily a train from G.-P. to munich and airport,<BR>about 90km. Every hour a train, that brings you in 90min to mainstation of munich and another 40min by subway to the airport for example.<BR>If you need more info - email me.<BR>Shain/EU/DE/D&uuml;sseldorf

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Grasshopper

Everybody celebrates a traditional Christmas. One's person "tradition" need not be another persons! If you are looking for Christmas Fairs and festivals Germany is probably your best bet. I think Strasbourg and the Alsace region would also be lovely.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Shain

Yes, that is true,<BR>but may I add another destination?:<BR>Norway - I have been in norway at pre-x-mas-period (mid-december).<BR>That was fun too - why - because<BR>they celebrate "God Jul" (x-mas), and<BR>because it's far up north, days always seem to be not really lighten up, and you this special light. Than also - it's snow safe. And as we think from our picture of x-mas- snow is needed.<BR>Especially when you take a train out of Oslo to Lillehammar (ex-olympic-town)<BR>with each km it gets colder. The lakes a frozen, it's dry. On the hills besides the village you will find cottages, pensions or small hotels and skiing all around is available. And do not forget to visit "Peer Gynt" land.<BR>Also the three hour train ride is a beautiful one too. Only the train ride between Oslo and Bergen is more specatculours.(or so)<BR>Anyway - alcoholics are extrem expensive there, but if you get in contact with locals, they can really drink a lot (often their own schnaps burnings). Norway is one of the richest countries in the world and in Oslo you will find lot of historic sites of the vikings. And maybe you remember the fairytale marriage in early 2001 of the royalities there. I strongly can reccomend norway as an still protected, not too much tourict place too.<BR>Enjoy - more infos needed - email me!<BR>Shain/EU/DE/D&uuml;sseldorf<BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Grasshopper

Shain, I'm enjoying your additions to the board. I recently spent a 6 hour layover in the Dusseldorf airport (it's a great airport by the way!) and wondered if we had time to see something since we didn't have to worry about bags. We decided to stay put and enjoy one of the nice restaurants in the airport, but given a repeat experience, what would you do with 6 hours to spare?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Shain

Hi Grasshopper,<BR>well thank you - <BR>with six hours free time enjoy this in our small (600.000 inh.) town:<BR>the airport is only a 5-10 min taxi ride. So the old town is close - go for a windo shopping on "the K&ouml;" (800m),<BR>with rally award winning architure shopping malls such as "Shadow-Arkaden",<BR>"K&ouml;-Galery", "Stilwerk" and "Sevens".<BR>or <BR>choose the Old town and enjoy of our<BR>"Altbier" (it's fresh not old but dark, not as dark as a guinness), but rich in flavour, take a souvenir like "Killepitsch", very nice liqour home made and available only here,<BR>Go to the wonderful promenade (more than 4kms long) between the old city and the harbour (new "in" area),<BR>enjoy sitting at "Marcels" a youthstyle decorated bistro view fantastic view to<BR>"Oberkassel" right hand side of the River rhine. <BR>All the things can be done in five hours easely and if you choose for <BR>the old city, just hope there is sunny weather, than you got a spirit of, well, Cot A'zur (just imagine).<BR>If it's cold and rainy choose the Shopping arkades - you might be astonished.<BR>Anyway there are lot of things to do in our little big city, also nown as "Petit Paris", due to the flair, and the many,many fashion shows and designers that live in this city.<BR>More info needed - email me.<BR>Shain/EU/DE-D&uuml;sseldorf <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Grasshopper

Thanks Shain! I look forward to my next layover.