Christmas driving trip questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about doing about a 2 week trip around Christmas flying into London, Eurostar to Paris, couple of days in Paris and then rent a car to drive down to Malaga or Alincante for a week. We have been to France many times in the summer but never in December. What can I expect for driving conditions through France at that time of the year? We want to drive to explore on our own pace while working our way down to Spain. We have a timeshare week that we are going to lose and this is the only time I can get away. I've heard that the Malaga weather is comfortable in late December.

Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 12:56 PM

While 2 weeks sounds reasonable time starts to slip away pretty quickly...

Day 1 - arrive London-Eurostar to Paris

Days 2-3 - Paris

Day 4 - leave via car

You say you want to drive at your own pace so I assume you don't want to do the full 1,800 Km (1,000 miles) drive to Malaga in one shot. So 3 days? 4 days?

Say 3 days... so now have 7 days used up and you have a week to spend in the timeshare. That puts you at 2 weeks and you haven't returned to London for your flight home yet...

I just don't see how you can reasonably do this in the time you have. I would rethink the London
and Paris end of things since I'm guessing you are locked into the timeshare in Spain?
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

We will probably either cut the timeshare short by a couple of days because it is free anyhow or fly back to London. We are frequent flyers on Virgin so we always prefer to fly in and out from London due to perks and cost. I'll have to check on one way charges for the car versus airfare from Spain to London. If we get 4 or 5 days in at Alicante or Malaga I'll be happy.

We won't spend any time in London this trip and maybe just a quick visit in Paris.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM

After your stay in Paris, have you thought about taking the TGV to the south of France and driving from there?

Anything is possible for weather conditions--you could have dry roads the entire way down through France. I don't think I'd want to drive the entire way unless I had to, but just my opinion.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM

You will need to take your hire car back to France, or you are likely to pay a lot for a one way out of country drop off, assuming the hire company will allow you to even do that.