Christmas & New Year in Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will visit Austria (Vienna and surrounding area, Salzbury, Graz) from Christmas to New Year. Hope fellow posters can help answer some questions:
1. Which city to stay for Christmas and New Year? I was told that big city is better for New Year.
2. Dress code for attending concerts in Vienna Imperial Hall?

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

I meant "Salzburg."
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM

We have taken advise and planned to fly into Munich, Vienna by train for Christmas-then Salzburg-ending in Luzern for New Years.

Trying to make plans now for the specific holidays themselves since a lot of places will be closed.

Glad to share more if you are interested.

King
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:26 PM
DAX

Christmas in Salzburg is quite special. We drove to Vienna on christmas day as everything was closed but we stopped at the grand old abbey in Melk en route to Vienna. I'm sure there are plenty of events for new year celebration in Vienna including the new year's concert and the grand/international ball where they usually invite an international celebrity as an honor guest. I heard they have had trouble inviting the celebrities they wanted, so one year they even had Farah Fawcett (25 years after she was famous).
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM

You will have plenty of Fodorite company on this trip!! We will also be in Austria over Christmas. We went back and forth over whether to spend Christmas itself in Vienna or Salzburg and finally opted for Salzburg. However, we decided to stay outside of town, near the Schloss Hellbrunn, instead of right in the heart of the city.
For New Year, I think you would have fun in either city.
Fingers crossed for snow (but not on the days we're driving!)
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 04:34 AM

All Good suggestions. We are currently booked into the Bristol, Vienna for Christmas (4 nights). We realize there are not lots of options for Christmas or the day following. The hotel is emailing me regarding tours that my be available on boxing day. Would love to have a sleigh ride on Christmas Day if we can find one!

Booked into the Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Salzburg following Vienna. Wondering if we should his Salzburg first? Goldener Hirsch looks terriffic and friends just stayed there, but we were thinking larger city would offer more on Christmas day. Perhaps head to ski slops near Salzburg day following Christmas if we change plans and stay there?

Difficult to decide having not been in the area before. Hope we aren't expecting too much. Also, receiving mixed reviews on Bristol, but do not want to pay 5-600 euro for Palais Coburg. Any feedback on these issues welcome!

King
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 04:44 AM

We were in Salzburg on Christmas Day about five years ago. I thought it was a little depressing because the Christmas markets were closed, trucks were there and workers packing up, the square was littered with the leavings. Restaurant choices were limited. One good thing -- Christmas mass in the cathedral was glorious. Vienna would be better for Christmas Day, I would think.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
DAX

That's why christmas day is the perfect day to travel to Vienna when traffic is also no problem. We also enjoyed our stop & tour of the abbey in Melk right above the Danube.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:14 AM
DAX

I would do Salzburg first because the large christmas market which ends on Christmas day. The market adds a lot to the ambiance in Salzburg especially if you are staying at the Goldener Hirsch which is a charming luxury lodge with a perfect location. They have one of the best christmas eve dinner, reserve weeks ahead. Another xmas dinner place is at the hotel Sacher Salzburg if the G. Hirsch is already full. You don't need the market for Vienna as there lots more to do in Vienna. You can go to Hallstatt by train on Christmas day if you can't use it for travelling to Vienna.
www.hallstatt.at
http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/3233...home/home.html
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Dax: You supply some incorrect information regarding Vienna Balls.

A certain building contractor has invited a celebrity each year to the Opera Ball held in the State Opera House each year.
The Opera Ball does not do the inviting and is less than pleased with this poor attempt at self " PR" by this individual and wife( known in Vienna as Mausi)

Numerous Balls are held on New Years- biggest - at the Hofburg- few celebrities- many tourists

A great thing on Christmas day in Vienna-
The Schönbrunn Palace Christmas Market is open on the 25th- very festive- food- music and still a good selection of crafts and gifts.

Many families visit - take a walk in the park too.
Vienna also has a huge New Years Celebration with many squres offering music of all types
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM

We were in Vienna a few weeks before Christmas one year, but a few years before that we were in Salzburg for both Christmas and NY.

Overall, we preferred Salzburg, but to be honest, hitting both holidays there was really too much. The Christmas markets were fun in both places but I LOVED the New Years atmosphere in Salzburg (can't speak for VIenna).

Earlier in the evening we hit the streets and enjoyed all the pretzels, sausages, mulled wine and music. It was a festive, fun atmosphere and we all felt comfortable. Our kids ice-skated under a statue of Motzart and then enjoyed some hot chocolate. We stayed at the Bristol Hotel in Salzburg, and the sight of the fireworks over the fortress was incredible!

Austria is a magical place at that time of year!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM

I'll be there too for Christmas - staying in a tiny village near the Melk abbey! First time to Europe and getting stressed now and excited at the same time. Not sure where we will be for New Year's, hopefully somewhere special and exciting!!! Roll on 6 weeks time.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:48 PM
DAX

Thanks for clarifying Molker. A lively group of ballroom dancing elites from Oklahoma told us the story as we were having breakfast at the hotel. I thought Richard Lugner & his wife were the VIP hosts of the opera ball but obviously not.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:08 AM

The Opera Ball is a Vienna institution. The current organizer is Elisabeth Gürtler, General Director of the Sacher Hotels owned by the Gürtlers.

The Lugners only buy a box at the Opera, as done by many others, and invite a guest to bring them PR. They are not connected with the Ball.

The Lugners pay a good sum to have stars such as Sophia Loren, Claudia Cardinale etc. visit the Lugner City Shopping Center sign autographs and grab photos with the Lugners.Later a visit to the Ball

Herr Lugner ( Mortal ) and Christina ( Mausi) try all measures to remain in the public eye- but not too successfully.
Numerous business failures too.But, he has introduced longer shopping hours - liked by same.

They have even resorted to a reality show for TV with views of them at home and daily activities. Marital troubles and all. Mortal ( mortar -as he was a contractor)now on 4th wife.

All activities not really liked by Vienna.
Frau Gürtler introduced no smoking at the Ball several years ago- quite an achievement in Vienna.

More than you wanted to know ,but the "Oklahoma elite"really did not have correct facts.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
DAX

Your description of the Lugners makes sense. I heard about women being invited to shop topless at the Lugner shopping center to get a special discount, the media certainly falls for every pathetic trick he can afford to buy for publicity.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Message DAX:

You understand this situation.

Even the daughter( 9-10 years old)is not immune.

She is known as "Little Mausi"

But back to the subject of New Years.

I have celebrated in Salzburg and Vienna.

Vienna has much more activity, music, crowds, food kiosks and to me much more fun!

You have much more to see and do.

many streets in the city center are closed to car traffic-allowing for the big party.

Numerous squares have stages with all types of music from Waltz to Hard Rock.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:31 AM

DH just found out he has to oversee a major project installation over the holidays, so our Christmas in Austria plans are kaput
OTOH, we're going to take a short pre-Christmas break in Baden-Baden and then do a late January/early Feb trip to Dresden, Salzburg and Vienna. Which may be better, as my husband gets pretty grumpy in crowds. And we might be able to get in to see the Green Vault in Dresden.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:37 AM

BTilke, so sorry about your missing Austria at Christmas, but the lemonade you've decided to make from the lemons you've been handed sounds pretty good. I'd guess Baden-Baden is quite spiffy pre-Christmas. Enjoy seeing the Zwinger in Dresden. We liked that city a lot.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Thanks! It means a holiday room will be opening up at the Hotel Friesacher in Salzburg, in case anyone is interested. And I'm really itching to see Dresden, which we couldn't fit into our December trip.
The other plus point is that we have more time to save for the trip and can take advantage of the after-Christmas sales.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

We've decided the following itinerary:
Vienna 12/20-12/26)>Salzburg (12/26-12/29)>Graz (12/29-12/31)> Vienna (12/31-1/3 leaving)
Plan to visit the surrounding areas of the above-mentioned cities.
Even though many places are closed during the holiday, there are some are still open and concerts are always fun to attend.

Schonbrunn Christmas Market:
18 November to 26 December 2006
Daily 10 am to 8.30 pm
24 December: 10 am to 4 pm
25 and 26 December: 10 am to 6 pm

(Sighs) Can't get a room in Goldener Hirsch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -