Reload this Page >

Chocolate - where can I have some?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 1999, 06:01 PM
Amanda

Hi, <BR> <BR>My boyfriend and I are heading off to Europe for 6.5 weeks. It's our first time, and from what i've learnt from this forum, our itenerary is rather rushed at this stage (we are in the process of modifying it). <BR> <BR>I'm probably not a true chocoholic, but close enough to one according to my boyfriend. Where in Europe would I be able to get some good chocolate albeit slightly different chocolate? I much prefer the plain chocolates or chocolates with nuts - without soft centers. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, we're only in Bruge for a day - Monday and that's the day Maitre Chocolatier Verbeke is closed. <BR> <BR>Is there anywhere else anyone would recommend or ahve been before? <BR> <BR>We're going to visit the following towns, <BR>Paris, Amsterdam, Bruges,Cologne, St. Goar, Bacharac, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Halstatt, Munich, Lucerne, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen, Montreaux, Venice, Florence, Siena, Pisa, Naples, Rome. <BR> <BR>I'd love to hear any recommendations. Thanks.

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:04 PM
Dayle

Amanda, me again. I can proudly claim membership in the Chocoholic Club. All the chocolate I had in France & Italy was fabulous - way better than what we have in the US. It seemed like every 3 store front in France was a cholocate shop. Be sure to have hot chocolate for breakfast. They make it strong and dark, especially in Italy!

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:29 PM
April

I think you won't have too much trouble finding chocolate in Europe. (In a pinch, there's always chocolate bars. Thank goodness for Mars bars in Greece or we might have starved.) Holland, maybe because it's so close to Belgium, has great chocolates. You'll find specialty shops in town but worth a visit too is the display at de Bijenkorf department store. While you're there, you can get a reasonable lunch upstairs in a sort-of library cafe (keep going up past the first cafeteria you see). You could walk there from the Ann Frank house. Plain chocolate can be found just about anywhere. Another item you may come across that make nice souvenirs are boxes of little canal house replicas that have hard candies inside. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:56 PM
Amanda

Hiya, <BR> <BR>Thank for your comments - I'm placated a bit, at least I'll know I'll get some. <BR> <BR>Just curious .. would there be any place which is a factory or an old fashion kitchen which makes it the old fashion way? <BR> <BR>I guess like a winery where you can go wine tasting.. what about a chocolate-tasting excursion somewhere.... <BR> <BR>Am I totally off the track here? <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 11:46 PM
April

I don't know, but what a great idea. <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 12:07 AM
Craig

My wife has a chocolate jones also and she adores the Vienna Motzart chocolates. They are round with a chocolate party inside. Also, try the Manner wafer cookies, mostly Austria and Germany.

Old May 27th, 1999, 01:33 AM
Maira

IMHO, the best chocolates, available everywhere in Europe, are Lindt (Swiss)and Cadbury's (British).

Old May 27th, 1999, 03:18 AM
Kaja

<BR>Hi, <BR> <BR>Too bad you are not going to Norway. We have really good chocolate here. The brands are Freia and Nidar.

Old May 27th, 1999, 03:24 AM
Eileen

You should try La Maison du Chocolat in Paris. Address: 225, rue du Faubourg St.-Honore 75008 <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 04:27 AM
martha

Paris has a chain of chocolate shops called "Jeff de Bruges." It may not be as good as buying chocolate right in Bruges, but you might want to try some in the spirit of cultural inquiry.

Old May 27th, 1999, 06:39 AM
lynn

Hi Amanda - <BR> <BR>Ditto on the Jeff de Bruges chain. They have my favorite type of chocolate called "Gijuanda" (sp?). When I was in high school, I worked at a start-up, gourmet chocolate shop in Southern California. The manager was trained in Paris for 6 months. We carried this chocolate and I fell in love with it. It's a creamy blend of milk chocolate and finely ground hazelnuts. Delicious!! <BR> <BR>I'm sure it must be around somewhere in the U.S. but I haven't found it yet. So, when I go to Europe, I always bring a box home. <BR> <BR>While on your trip, don't forget that you can always stop in any supermarket and get a quick fix. They carry many different types and brands of chocolate including some American stuff. <BR> <BR>Also, Godiva Chocolates is a chain both here in the U.S. and in Europe. Their chocolate may not be as good as some of the specialty mom & pop shops in Europe, but Godiva has excellent products. They are my favorite here at home. <BR> <BR>One word of caution. Another chain is called something like "Leodonais" (I'm sure spelling is off but close), but they are not as good as Godiva. I think you'd be better off at the "supermarche" of Godiva if you go to a chain. <BR> <BR>Happy Chocolate Eating...

Old May 27th, 1999, 08:55 AM
Cheryl z.

<BR>Amanda, you can't help but find good chocolate anywhere in Europe. As a serious chocoholic I look forward to the candy! I do believe I read once about a chocolate factory in Switzerland (don't think it was Nestle, but not sure) where you could take a tour much like a winery. Maybe someone else will have some info about this for you, or you could ask about it once you arrive.

Old May 27th, 1999, 09:07 AM
Dawn

Amanda, In Europe you will find chocolate everywhere! One thing that amazed me is that people do eat alot and yet it is hard to find someone overweight. And they love Candy. I like the Italian chocolates the best, also Belgium Chocolates are great. The Swiss were o.k., but the Italian were better. I disagree with the poster about Godiva Chocolates though. Never noticed them in Europe and have had them here in the states and think they are mediocre at best. They are beautifully packed, but I saw a report once and they contain a high amount of wax. Godiva is also owned by Campbell Soup. Got a box from some guys in our office a while back, and quite frankly wasn't impressed. In the states I'll take Hershey's any day over Godiva, and when in Europe if you like CHocolate, you'll be in heaven. Also, if you've never tried Nutella, now is your chance.

Old May 27th, 1999, 09:52 AM
Kate

Try "Milka" chocolate bars (it's either Swiss or German, but they are sold everywhere in Europe) - they are excellent and you can even find them in the US occasionally. Very smooth, no bitter after-taste, lots of cocoa butter. Mmmmm.... <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 11:47 AM
Rich

Just wanted to add my support for La Maison du Chocolat and especially Jeff de Bruge.

Old May 27th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Amanda

Is the "La Maison du Chocolat" a one-off shop, or a factory?? <BR> <BR>Has anyone been to the Lindt factory in Zurich? How far is it from the Station?

Old May 27th, 1999, 06:02 PM
Seamus

Amanda, the Lindt factory is not close to the train stationin Zurich, bit not far out of town, either. BUT they don't have a formal tour programme. Some pals just showed up at the factory, naively looking for a tour and he staff took them under wing and gaev them amini-tour and extensive sample assortment. <BR>While you are in Zurich, ther is a truffle shop (help me folks, I can't recall the name!) with locations in the station underground as well as on the famous shopping street just off the station. You can buy truffles one at a time, and they are incredibly delicious- posibly the bst I've ver eaten. At a less haute level, even the chocolate in the supermarkets is usually quite good - try the COOP near the train station. Enjoy!

Old May 27th, 1999, 09:39 PM
lynn

Dawn - <BR> <BR>Perhaps you didn't read my post carefully. I AGREE with you that the small, specialty chocolate shops in Europe have the best chocolate. However, they are not always handy while some of the chains are. In addition, Godiva can beat the pants off a Hershey bar any day of the week. Would I prefer Godiva over some of my Paris favorites? Absolutely not! Would I prefer Godiva over a Hershey's Kiss? Positively! <BR> <BR>If you don't like wax, I would highly recommend checking on the wax content of Hershey's. I highly doubt it's better than Godiva. In fact, I would bet it's worse. <BR> <BR>Of course, the most important thing to remember is, we're talking about chocolate! So, on the global scheme of things (as one of my college instructors used to say), "it ain't that serious!" <BR> <BR

Old May 27th, 1999, 11:04 PM
Amanda

You're right.. chocolate is fun. <BR> <BR>But if anything, I have to try those godiva chocolates now. Talk about curiousity on chocolates. <BR> <BR>Must compare them to hersheys for myself.

Old May 27th, 1999, 11:55 PM
John

In my humble opinion I must disagree with an earlier post. The Leonidas is the finest Chocalate candy I have eaten. <BR>http://www.leonidas-chocolate.com/ <BR> <BR>I was advised by a Swiss girl that the best Swiss chocalte was available in the grocery store in a plain red wrapper , I cannot remember the name , but I think it is Kambly <BR>http://www.kambly.ch/ <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -