Chocolate THUNDER

Mar 8th, 1999, 08:28 AM
Daniel Lee

Chocolate THUNDER

Hey everybody:

I'm just needing some last-minute details for my first trip to Paris next week.

I'm seeing some student prices (18-25 years old) for some museums and monuments.

Does anybody know if U.S. tourists can also use this discount with their valid passports, or is this applicable only to French citizens?

Has anybody done this with their passport?

Thank you!

Daniel

Mar 8th, 1999, 09:56 AM
elaine

Daniel, as you will find from recent postings the consensus recommendation is that you purchase a museum pass which pays for itself after about 3 visits to various popular sites. If you go to the web site www.intermusees.com
you will find info on the museum pass and perhaps further info on student discounts.

Mar 8th, 1999, 09:56 AM
Erin

Hi Daniel,
You need an International Student ID card to get student discounts. They cost about $20 and are good for one calendar year. You need a passport size photo, some type of student identification and your passport. Check the Let's Go guidebook series...they can tell you where to go. (If you live in the New York City area, Columbia University has a student travel agency that can make you one while you wait.) In 1996, I was able to use the ID card in both Madrid and London. When my sister whipped out her Rutger's University ID, no one would accept that. Luckily, they allowed both of us to get discounts with my card.

Mar 8th, 1999, 11:44 AM
Daniel Lee

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.

My question was not regarding a STUDENT discount, but an AGE discount, where if you are 18-25 years old you get a discount. Does this exist, because I've been seeing it in things such as Fodors books. My question is if the passport is a valid way of showing age to get these discounts. Are you guys saying that we HAVE to be students, too?

Also, we already know about the museum card, but we may not go to enough sights to justify the price. Right now I'm just trying to find out my options.

Can anybody help?

Dan

Mar 9th, 1999, 09:31 AM
Erin

Daniel,
Here's the deal...based on my experience, there is no such thing as an "age discount" in Europe for people aged 18-25. They only have student discounts which are for a) those with ID from European universities and b) those with the International student ID card or a GO25 card. The International student ID is for students (obviously) and the GO25 card is for people under age 25 who are NOT students. You can purchase either ID card at certain locations in the US (see the Let's Go guidebooks.) What card you get depends on who is doing the paperwork. I went to Columbia University's travel agency and was able to get an International Student ID even though I was 26 and graduated college 3 years before! If you try to use your passport or an American university as proof that you are a student/under 25, it won't work. (I've tried it).

Mar 9th, 1999, 09:42 AM
daniel

hey erin,

thanks for the reply. i gotcha. i think that we will just go with the pass to save hassle. we're gonna go to the louvre, orsay, arc de triomphe, versailles, st. chapelle, conciergerie, hotel des invalides, and other things, so the pass is looking like a good option.

plus i'd rather avoid long lines.

thanks a mil,

daniel

Search this Thread