Search

Chocolat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 06:30 PM
betsy

Chocolat?

...Enjoyed the movie and saw in the credits the name of the French village that was the setting for the story, but have totally forgotten what it was. Could someone help me out? <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Larry

Betsy, will try to cut and paste <BR> <BR>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/flavigny/Le_...couvrirFSO.htm. <BR> <BR>if this does not work, try Flavigny sur Ozerain, <BR> <BR>Like you, saw the movie and then spent hours on the internet finding the place- hope this does it for you. If not, email me.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 10:32 PM
lynda

hi betsy, the name of the place is called lansquenet-sous-tannes on the fast road between toulous and bordeaux.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Larry

Betsy, here is an excerpt from the Yahoo write-up on the movie: <BR> <BR>After searching the nooks and crannies of Europe's backroads, production designer David Gropman happened upon the medieval French town of Flavigny. Near to Dijon in the Burgundy region, Flavigny dates back to the 10"' century. Here, Gropman found a picturesque village set atop a hill, with streams flowing down three sides. But that's not all he found. It turns out Flavigny's main industry is the manufacture of Anis de Flavigny candies, which are renowned around France. <BR> <BR>"I liked Flavigny because it wasn't too sugar-coated and prettified, yet it had magic to it," says Gropman. "Wandering through it, I loved the geography the relationship of the buildings. It seemed to perfectly fit the design concept Lasse and I had discussed: emphasizing a simplicity of story- storytelling and the most honest expression." <BR> <BR>Another unique aspect of Flavigny was its timelessnes. Explains producer David Brown: "When you look out at the countryside here, there are no billboards, no high-rises, no road side businesses. All you see are horses, cows, lambs and real people in an enchanted village. It's an extraordinary atmosphere in which to tell a story." <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Larry

Oops, forgot to mention that Lansquenet was the name given to the village in the movie.....

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 08:19 AM
betsy

Thanks, Larry and Lynda, for your replies. Your URL works fine, Larry, and the site is neat. Love it that the town's main industry is chocolate! <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Cher4travel

<BR>Message: Betsy... <BR> <BR>I too, saw the movie Chocolat, and thought it to be one of the best I have seen in a lllooonnnggg time. I also fell in love with the town in France, and immediately came home, got out my maps and tried to remember the name of the town, because of couse, I am now ready to start up shop making chocolates in Flavigny sur Ozererain. I am so happy you posted this, now we can at least make a vist to this wonderful town our next trip to our wonderful and beautiful France. <BR> <BR>Cher4travel

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Patrick

I'm going to see the movie this afternoon. Just a thought: I bet within a year the citizens of that town will be cursing the entire movie business for overrunning their charming little town with tourists. (But, of course, I will probably be one of them).

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Jeanette

For all of you who loved Chocolat, as I did too, here is another you will love as well. It was out years ago but is still my very favorite movie. "Enchanted April" is set in the same kind of magical place only this one is in an Italian backwater. Get it on video, if you can. Saw it last year on PBS.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Patrick

Just returned from the movie and yes it was great. I also noticed in the credits was one for the town of Beynac as well as Flavigny. I suspect the river scenes were filmed there? And maybe the outdoor birthday party -- it sure looked a lot more like Dordogne than Burgundy.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Lyn

To the top for Chessi!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:37 AM
Lily

Hey everyone, <BR> <BR>I just read the book and it is a MUST DO. Great book for on the plane! <BR> <BR>Our small town won't be showing the movie until the end of March but it sounds like it will be worth the wait!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 06:19 AM
Loida

Chocolat reminds of "like water for chocolate". Personally, the 2nd one is much more interesting as far as story, dialogue, etc. But the setting for chocolat can't be beat.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 06:50 AM
Ess

My boyfriend and I just saw Chocolat Sunday night and were wondering if the town was even real, it looked so perfect. We thought the aereal shot of the snow falling over the town on the hilltop must have been computer animated. I'm glad to know it's a real town. Seeing that film has me more excited than ever over our upcoming trip to France! Boyfriend says the film is definitely a chick flick - everyone falls in love, lives happily ever after, and eats chocoate all the time!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 07:14 AM
Willi

The book is more delicious than the movie! The ending is less sweet than the movie.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 12:22 PM
Diane

My guess is that you better go there soon before it is overrun with tourists. I went to the Cinque Terre in 1997 after seeing Rick Steves' segment on the area -- it was already well known, but I'm glad I went before a McDonald's moves in. I also went to Portofino looking for the house where they filmed "Enchanted April". The people in the shops did not know what I was talking about and I was disappointed. It turns out that we climbed what seemed like 200 stairs to reach a home (Castello Brown) on top of a hill and that home is seen in the movie. I don't know if they used the castle for the inside shots, but they definitely used it for an overview shot. I watched the movie again when I got home and there it was! Maybe they didn't want to tell me because they don't want the town flooded with tourists -- but then, Portofino is already a tourist destination and you would think they would welcome the added publicity.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 03:05 PM
StCirq

The bulk of the movie was filmed in Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, in Burgundy. Almost all of the river and riverbank shots were taken in the Dordogne in or near Beynac. If you looked closely, you could see remarkable differences in the Burgundian and Périgourdin architecture.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Rex

to the top, for pdiaz... <BR> <BR>Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum! <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Bob

I note someone commented on the novel, which is an excellent read. Though the movie is enjoyable, it does not do justice to the novel, which is FAR superior. Is this any surprise? The novel's two narrators make it unique. Unfortunately, the movie changes the antagonist, and gives a weakened presentation of the main conflict and subplot. Read the novel!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Ger

I'll second Bob's recommendation re reading the book . The tension between the "witch" and the "inquisitor" is much weakened in the movie because of the switch from the priest (afraid of offending, I suppose?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -