Children's clothing stores in Paris.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to make a day trip to Paris while visiting London next month. While I'm there I want to shop for clothes for my grandchildren. Can someone tell me the names of a few children's clothing stores that would be fairly easy to find?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Natalys
92, ave des Champs Elysees
75008, PARIS
01 43 59 17 65

Natalys is my favorite.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Le Petit Bateau
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Petit Bâteau, Sergent Major, Okaïdi and Tout Compte Fait are 4 of the majors chains in Paris, each with about a dozen locations throughout Paris. But you will stumble across many others in any street with clothing stores.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:34 PM

In addition to Kerouac's list, Du Pareil au Même, Catimini and Ikks are another few chains to look out for.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:08 AM

Love Natalys! Also wanted to add that any of the big dept stores (Galeries Lafayette, etc.) also have great children's clothing. Also, the smaller chain stores, like H&M and Zara, that are not necessarily known for children's clothing have great stuff for kids, too.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Just walk around the St. Germain area, between Boulevard St. Germain and Le Bon Marche department store. You'll see a lot of beautiful children's clothing in this more "upscale" shopping area.

John
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:45 AM

All replies list great childrens stores...but be aware that they are all very pricey. There is a chain store on the Champs that carries food as well as clothing and toiletries,etc.(like a Target)It is reasonably priced and often has very European like clothing at good prices. JUST CAN'T remember the name. It's on a corner not too far from the Arc on the left side going towards Place de la Concorde.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Actually Du pareil au meme is quite reasonable price-wise, and generally has some very cute stuff. I was pretty bummed when my daughter finally outgrew DPAM.

As posted above, Zara has some very nice things for children, also not too expensive.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:20 AM

I think the store haager is referring to is the Monoprix on the Champs Elysees. And yes they will have much better prices.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I was at a very cute store on Rue Dauphine with friends this summer -- had the name "Rose" in it. As you're walking from Blvd. St. Germain toward the Seine, it would be on the left side of the street. Very cute girls' clothes and also matching outfits for dolls!

joy/luvparee
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Check out www.dpam.com for the Du pareil au meme, info & locations.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Luvparee, the name is Bois de Rose on rue Dauphine. Always closed when I was nearby but the window had beautiful dresses.

Bonpoint (rue de l'Universite, I think) Jacadi, and Tartine et Chocolat are some upscale places. Jacadi and Tartine are on Blvd. St. Germain, around border of 6th and 7th.

Pom d'Api (rue du Four in 6th is one location) has beautiful and expensive shoes.

Don't forget Galeries Lafayette b/c they have many brands mentioned in posts above.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

YES...MONOPRIX...it's worth popping in quickly to look. I've found adorable infant dresses with shoes to match that were made well.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Also remember walking down Rue St Dominique in the 7th and finding a shop that had great dresses for children...lots of smocked dresses
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM

I have shopped for children's clothing in the past and will agree with the posts above. Here are my takes:

- Monoprix - many of them located around Paris. most clothes are 100% cotton, cute, simple clothes. make excellent 'playclothes' and hold up fairly well. relatively inexpensive.

- Du Pareil au Meme - again, many of them around. I usually go to the one near Galeries Lafayette (I think?). check their website for locations (www.dpam.com) around Paris. Again, cute clothes to be worn everyday. a little more expensive than Monoprix, but still affordable. (this is also a fun place to get 'accessories' - raincoats, cute socks, pajamas, bathing suits, hats, etc. that are 'different' than US).

- Natalys - higher end - I got beautiful dresses here, but weren't cheap. (still relatively affordable, especially if on sale!)

- Petit Bateau - many chains around. very cute. little cheaper than Natalys, but too expensive for 'play clothes' (in my opinion). cute boys things.

some more 'upscale' - Bonpoint, Tartine et Chocolat, (I think Grandmere mentioned these?) - really adorable clothes, but I didn't want dressup clothes, I wanted everyday playclothes that they can wear to school, to play, etc.

(btw, carry the front page of your passport with you -- if you go crazy, you can get your VAT refunded, too!)

Make sure you have a good handle on sizes. I'm pretty good at knowing by looking what sizes are right, but can't always go by the label. I find Du Pareil Au Meme is pretty true to size (probably compares to Gymboree sizing, maybe a wee bit smaller than Gymboree?). Obviously, if in doubt, buy a little big...
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the terrific response to my question. Looks as if I have lots of choices. I'll get an early start and plot them all out on my map. I appreciate the tips on some of the more "budget priced" stores too. I'm hoping that since the exchange rate is a little better for the Euro than the pound I'll do better shopping there. Thanks again.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I got my infant grandson an outfit at Sergent Majeur this recent trip, and it seemed like a very reasonably priced store.

I find that French sizes run, in general, a bit smaller than those here in USA.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Visit the children's department of Galeries Lafayette, the department store. There one can see the major brands, such as Petit Bateau, Absorba, Irene Clayeux, Dore Dore, Tartine et Chocolat, Jacadi and Florianne.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Surfermom,

I'm in 95% agreement with you (stores and the order). This is where I bought my kids clothes when I lived in Paris. My only change is I'd put "Sergeant Major" as number 3 above Natalys.

Monoprix and Dpam have incredible kids clothes at a reasonable price point (under 10euros for shorts, under 15 euros for pants) and cute accessories. The clothes also hold up - mine are on their second kid. Monoprix even carries some of the Petit Bateau line.

For window shopping, follow John127's advice about walking in St. Germain de Pres. Then, check out the DPAM on St. Germaine Blvd - a block from the church.

Regarding Galleries Lafayette, they have a huge selection of all the designer brands with the prices to match. I looked, but never bought. I realized that I don't buy my kids clothes at Neiman Marcus in the states, why would I buy the equivalent in Paris? Of course, I'm a Mom, not a "grand-mom" Maybe, when I'm older I'll feel more extravagent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -