Search

Spain in July?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain in July?

We have a last minute opportunity to visit Spain in late July. I would love to visit Sevilla and Andalucia. We don't mind high to mid 80s, but guidebooks speak of blistering heat. Would this be a foolish choice? If yes, is there another region you recommend for this season?
At this point our plans are totally flexible.
Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM

I have been to Andalucia in the summer and yes it is hot.
To me it felt like 105 degrees because we were walking alot.

I live in an area where it gets very hot as well, but sightseeing in very warm weather is a whole different story.

What about the north?

Old May 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Spain in July is hot, hot, hot, but not just the temperature, probably one of the best times to visit in my opinion. You will get to see the running of the bulls, bull fighting, no rain (when we were there in April way too much rain). The region you would like to go to is absolutely beautiful and you could also take a day trip to Gibraltar and hang out with the monkeys for the day.....or go to Portugal, it's not that far either....if you have the opportunity, I say go for it, just bring light, loose clothing and your sense of adventure.....
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:30 PM

It was high to mid 80's and higher when we went in April! I'm talking about Andalucia. It was hot, hot then, so I'd expect to wilt in July.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Not my favorite time of year for Southern Spain.

But you can enjoy it if you adapt your lifestyle:

Make use of the morning hours, get your city sightseeing done by midday.
Return to your house, and spend the midday heat from around noon/1pm to 4/5pm at the pool or resting/ relaxing.
Start your second part of the day after that. Maybe do some sightseeing by car (A/C!) in higher elevations where it can be at least a bit cooler. (Not *cool*, just not *that* hot).
Return to your house, and get some rest.
Make use of the cooler hours after sunset to explore cities by night, and shift dinner to the appropriate hours around 10pm.

What I would not like to do:
waste time and energy by changing hotels every night, spend time only in heated inner cities, have no pool/beach to cool off, sightseeing in the siesta hours.

If you think that you cannot adjust your lifestyle and pace to Southern heat, I would think that Northern Spain may be a better choice for you.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM

You've received a lot of excellent information about southern Spain during the summer. It'd doubtful that you would every see tempertures in the mid-80s during the summer months. Sevilla can reach 50C + (128F) during July and August. And it never cools off at night, because the night is so short.

I would recommend the Med coast, or heading north to Galicia, Asturias, Cantabra or the País Vasco.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Late July is Santiago (Spain's Patron Saint, 25 Jul) and Santa Ana (26 Jul). I head north when there during that time of year.

Peak Summer Season begins with la Virgen de Carmen (16 Jul).

In Andalucia, it does get very hot in late July and August; but I have never seen 50 Degrees Celsius. 40 Degrees is not uncommon away from the coast, or even along the Costa del Sol when there's a hot, dry wind from North Africa (Sirocco).

One can 'manage' one's visit by taking some simple precautions: stay at a Hotel with A/C and, if possible, a swimming pool.
Limit sightseeing to morning hours, have an early lunch (1300-1430) and head back to your hotel for siesta and a swim.
Wear cork-soled sandals; tne soles of my feet got burned from the hot pavement thru my thin soled shoes.

Businesses reopen around 1700 which is considered afternoon.

Old May 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM

I was in Spain last July and loved it. I was in Madrid, Salamanca, Toledo, Segovia and Avila and highly recommend all of them. It was hot (around 90) mid day, but it did cool off a bit in the evening (I had read that it did not, but that was not my experience). I did as Ned said and took a siesta mid afternoon in my AC hotel rooms, also got out very early in the morning when it was beautiful out. I could see how Andalucia might be more unpleasant. All the advice I got was to not go there in summer. I took that advice and did Andalucia in March and that was a perfect time - mid 70s every day, although I think that was a bit warm for that time, mid 60s more typical but that would have been lovely too.

So I would suggest you do go to Spain, but perhaps pick some other region than Andalucia. If you based in Madrid you could do a day trip to Cordoba for a taste of Andalucia. Perhaps you could even do a couple of days in Seville. How long do yo have? I just probably wouldn't plan a whole two weeks or so in Andalucia in July.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:21 AM

I have visited Spain many times in July and even August. I would not hesitate going back at that time of the year , however, not to Andalucía, especially not Sevilla. I was there once in late June and it was scorching!

I would suggest to still visit Madrid (and manage your days as previoulsy adviced) and head north, to Galicia, Asturias or Cantabria.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

We really appreciate all your helpful advice, especially since these plans are so last minute.
We are active, early 50s with a modest budget. We will have 10 to 12 days. We prefer to rely on trains and buses as much as possible, and to make day trips from maybe 2 or 3 destinations, keeping a leisurely pace.
Is that time enough for perhaps 2 or 3 days in the south, time in Madrid, and then north?
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:18 AM

" I would love to visit Sevilla and Andalucia."

That alone can take up the 10 days, and more. Perhaps if you are dead set on that take the Ave train to Sevilla via Cordoba. That should take at least two days.

Andalucia is a big area.
And again it is white blazing sun.

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Some years back I took a trip to Seville from Portugal in September. The guide said the previous month it had reached 53.C in Seville.
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:49 AM

I was once in Merida in June and all I could think of was Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun.

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:01 AM
car

Spain in July,

i think there is a lot of exageration about the heat in Southern Spain during July.
Specialy considering you are going to be there on holidays and not in the road works.
It is certanly hot during the day and you should try to have an hotel with A/C , must of 3 stars(75&euro and above have it,and avoid walking around the midday hours. the rest of the day and night if very much enjoyble and fun.
You can wear light clothes , sit outside, swim, get a sun tan etc..
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
car

sorry it should read

are very much enjoyable
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM

We've been to Andalusia twice - both late April/early May - and the highs were in the 80s and it was definitely beach weather. (Hotel pools were busy).

In July you need to plan for temps 100 or higher - and a lot of places without AC. (NOT like US where you go from AC house to AC car to AC office or mall or whatever. Many hotels and restaurants - and definitely sights - don;t have AC. So you will be sweltering for most of the day - and tempted not to leave your AC hotel room.

If you're only comfortable in 80's don;t even think about it.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Remember, Sevilla is a dry hot. The numbers are confusing.

Compare some of the American cities. Phoenix is a very, very place. Sure it's full of A/C everywhere but life continues.

Now, take a ride over to Miami. With a comparable temp number, what's the difference. I think that Miami is very humid.

So, think of Andalucia like Phoenix but it's full of things to see and do every day.

Blackduff
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM

Sorry - I don;t buy that dry heat business. Over 100 is hot as hell - no matter the humidity, although the humidity does make it even worse.

Only the OP knows how much heat bother them. Frankly I can;t sleep if the room temp is above 70 - and once I start sweating all I want is to take a shower and sit in an AC room.

But - some people don;t mind heat. They may think the temps that I enjoy (anything from 40's up is fine for touring) are too cold for comfort.
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:35 AM

Hello BarbaraandLeszek, I have never been to Spain but I have a friend here in my city which is in the Sacramento Valley which can get very hot in summer. This friend was born and raised in Seville. She still has all of her family in Seville. She and her American husband decided some years ago to never go back to Seville during the hot summer months as they found the heat unbearable. Now they stay with family members and the houses do not have a/c and I don't believe that any of them have pools. But in any case her description of the heat the last time they went which was about five years ago sounded dreadful. Yes, blistering heat would be her description. Best regards.
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your advice. What a treasure trove this forum is. I spent a summer in Valencia way back in college years (1975), travelled from there to Barcelona, Mallorca and Madrid, never south. But it sounds like we should save that exploration for a cooler month.

So it's back to the map and reading more postings.
I'll just throw this out there in case someone feels like responding--if you had spur of the moment 12 days to spend in Spain in July, what would you choose? (I realize this is a huge question.)

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -