chianti

Feb 6th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Caren

chianti

Hi. I am going to Italy in August and an planning on spending three days in Florence. I want to spend part of a day touring the countryside. We are not renting a car because neither of us can drive stick. Does anybody know of a tour you can book either from here or there that will take you through chianti? Thanks!

Feb 6th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Grasshopper

Caren, We took a really fun half day tour through CAF. They have brochures in most of the hotels. It took us to a castel winery where we toured the caves and the grounds and then they set up tables on the beautiful lawn under the trees where we sat and sampled wine after wine and munched on bread, procuitto and cheese. We finished off with a Vin Santo and biscotti. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Feb 6th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Grasshopper

Caren, I just found their website www.caftours.com

We also took the Siena/San Gim. tour and enjoyed it a lot.

Feb 6th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Caren

Thanks!!

Feb 6th, 2002, 08:29 AM
sandi

So, they don't rent cars with automatic transmissions in Italy?

Feb 6th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Caren

I do not know if they actually do not rent automatic cars but it is definitely very difficult to find them in Europe. In France this summer we rented our car from the states and when we got there they told us all they had were stick so I wouldn't rely on getting an automatic.

Feb 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Caren, Try www.christinastour.com She is a frequent poster here and does a great job at a good price. And, you can get auto cars if you book with Auto Europe in advance. However, let Christina do it for you--she is local.

Feb 6th, 2002, 12:13 PM
ellen

We drove all over the Chianti with our automatic rental car. Picked it up at Malpensa Airport. It was more expensive but they are available.

Feb 6th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Sherry

We have rented automatic cars in Spain, Italy and twice in France. I just made arrangements for one again in Italy. They have always had one for me. They are more expensive, as Ellen says, but available. Or maybe we have just been very lucky. I hope not.

Feb 7th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Caren

I have just been talking to a very highly-recommended guide of the Chianti region. He is Italian (has lived in the area for over 30 years and has a deep passion for his region)and speaks fluent English. He is also authorised.

I rang him because someone who went on a tour with him last year sent me a letter telling me how wonderful he is.
You should send him an email:
DARIO CASTAGNO
E-MAIL - [email protected]