Cheese and the 6 Nations

Mar 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Cheese and the 6 Nations

Following on from the French Cheese thread, I thought you might be interested to know that for tomorrow's rugby fest- the last set of games inthe 6 Nations championship with all to play for- we're going to have a 6 nations cheesboard. With one from each country. Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy.

Which would you choose?
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM

France. But can I taste all the rest of them please? What time are you serving?
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Canadian cheddar - oh ya - we're ranked 85, one ahead of Jordan and one behind United Emirates. That ranking would be for soccer by the way, not cheese. What does camel milk cheese taste like anyway.
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Hi sheila,

Another vote for France, as none of the others offer the variety. As much as I love Italy, it comes second here.

JQ
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I'm tempted to pick England -- or actually, Great Britain as a whole. Better milk. ;-)
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Better milk?
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Scotland - I'd pick Balfearn, a lovely soft creamy cheese from East Lothian
England - a nice mature gum-shrinking cheddar
Ireland - Cooleeney
Wales - tough one - I'm only aware of having tasted Caerphilly but there must be many others
France - Beaufort, my favourite!
Italy - Gorgonzola
Mar 18th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you hanl; I'm obviously a poor communicator. That was what I meant.

I'd be pretty close to your pick. I do like Blafearn a lot; but have you tried Stinking Bishop?
Mar 18th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Haven't tried Stinking bishop but I've certainly heard of it (the name is certainly memorable!). Isn't it named after a kind of pear or something?

Balfearn was one of the cheeses we served at our wedding in Scotland last year. All the French guests (my husband is French) were amazed to discover it was a local cheese rather than a French import!
Mar 19th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Well, the cheeseboard we were served yesterday had Caerphilly (for Wales), Gorgonzola (for Italy) Isle of Mull Cheddar (for Scotland) a goat cheese made by the Cooleeny people (for Ireland) Ste Felicienne (for France) and Mrs Appleby's Cheddar (for England). Really top

And the game results were good too!!
Mar 19th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Once I figured out what you actually meant, I tried to come up with suggestions, but I don't know a single thing about Scottish or Welsh or Irish cheese, and almost nothing about English (although I do generally know cheddar, I suppose). But it sounds like you found a great selection. If only such things were available here, I'd try to duplicate it.
Mar 19th, 2006, 04:37 AM

Fun thread to start sheila.

I saw it yesterday but was so engrossed watching the three great games I didn't get to post.

Good result for Scotland in Rome.

It was all going so well, until Wales let those [email protected]#?==* French through and we English knew we had pretty much lost it.

Still a great match - the Irish played really well (and do you not think Brian O'Driscoll is cute - he looked like a naughty schoolboy/Just William with his sock round his ankles and that big grin!).

But next year, England have a lot to make up for, and in the meantime I shall be checking out cheeses!