Reload this Page >

Checking in to Fodors from Paris!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Beverly

Couldn,t help checking Fodors while sitting at an internet cafe called EasyQuick on Rue de le Harpe in the Latin Quarter. You buy a ticket for the time you want to use. France is beautiful now with perfect walking weather, cool but quite sunny. For those wondering what to wear, definitely layers you can peel and stuff in your bag. I have only seen mostly young students on the left bank wearing jeans. On right bank and in evenings (everywhere) everyone, including tourists and young people, are quite well dressed: shoes, not sneakers, and dark or nice clothes and you will be treated well this way. In a week I have only seen two native people in jogging/athletic clothes. A few pairs of comfortable shoes is imperative to bring. I have not walked so much in a such long time and my feet would not have lasted in my dressier shoes. It is not easy to catch a taxi here as there seem to be few around for such a large city. The RER is easy even for someone like me who always gets lost. Have been eating at small local brasseries, not the big tourist draws (Deux Magots, etc) as I end up being surrounded by other American and British tourists. That is not so bad but you don,t get a real french experience. My french has gotten much better attempting to converse with the very friendly locals at lunchtime. As long as you try to speak even struggling french, they are happy to help. Had a great time at Caveau de la Huchette for live swing music. The french are so good at swing dancing they are fully prepared with dance shoes. Did go to see the Moulin Rouge, how could I come back without? It is like seeing the Rockettes in Radio City Music Hall when in NYC. The churches and museums are beautiful for such deep history. And what a sight to see the Eiffel Tower with my own eyes. Euros are very easy to use if you are used to US dollars. Had no trouble at the ATMs, my pin is 4 digits. That covers most of the questions I had before my trip. Hope it helps. Must continue to enjoy la belle Paris. Je m,amuse beaucoup! Maintenant, je desire manger les crepes a la Creperie de Cluny. C,est tres bonne avec creme de marrons (chestnuts)! It,s been the best birthday gift to visit Paris!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:01 AM
KatWoman

Beverly,<BR>Sounds like a great trip so far! Thank you for answering those silly questions that seem to plague all of us first time travelers. We leave in 86 days for London and Paris!! Write more when you can! Just love to hear the details!Have a safe trip back. KW

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:25 AM
k

Wonderful!!!<BR>We found trying to hail a taxi impossible but going to a stand or hotel and having them call was easy.<BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Diana

Beverly,<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your post! You answered one of my questions I hadn't even asked yet -- about an internet cafe near where I will stay next month. I'm staying at the Hotel Europe St Severin and I believe Rue de la Harpe is one of the intersecting streets so I should be able to find EasyQuick.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Jennifer

I'm impressed! French keyboards are not easy for me to navigate!<BR><BR>Btw, there is a FREE internet cafe just off of the Arc de Triomphe called Vivendi Universal, 6-8 rue de Tilsitt in 8e.<BR><BR>Here's their website:<BR><BR>http://www.espacevivendiuniversal.com<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:56 PM
janis

Have a wonderful trip. It sounds like you are for sure. Hope the weather holds for you. <BR><BR>(I think Fodors should permanently post your comments about dress on the board so we don't keep having these silly debates about what to wear. How someone can go to Europe and say that everyone wears jeans and Nikes is beyond me. You picked up on it right away - poor students on the Left Bank are just about the only ones wearing them.)

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Beverly

Aah, I am back from Paris resting my poor tootsies. Seemed to have lost some weight from the walking or that I didn't know how to translate to order the really fatty stuff. I loved my trip to Paris, was a whirlwind experience when trying to see/do/absorb/learn so much in a short time. From my 9 days I'm tired but I'll drop some observations and practicalities that I brought back:<BR>I never experienced that French are rude. If you truly try to "be french" when in France, it is a compliment to them. Before you dine/shop/tour, memorize a few phrases from your french book. Don't forget merci, s'il vous plait, c'etait tres bonne! (that was very good!). Don't demand!,instead make a request and smile. <BR><BR>Paris is a city where people are there to see and be seen. Dress up! Why do you think there are so many outdoor cafes and the chairs are turned to face the street not each other? For People Watching, a favorite french pasttime. You are being checked out and treated accordingly (you will be doing the same). Dressy casual and black is always good, and clothes are more tailored/close fitting in France. IMO, jeans and white sneakers is so '80s, that look is quite over even in US! If you insist on bringing those jeans, dress it up with a tailored shirt and shoes. Even those riding bikes did not have sneakers on. I brought sneakers (lt. grey) but did not ever pull them out of my suitcase. And surprisingly, even with all the sun last week, rarely did I see anyone in sunglasses. No hiding here.<BR><BR>Paris sights are very easy to get around to walking or RER. Plan an arondissement at a time so you don't feel rushed or end late somewhere you don't want to be at night. Remember there are lots of cobbled streets that higher heels won't do well on. Overall, the city seems safe as there are always people out until very late. I was there solo and was not bothered except by the poor women in Notre Dame plaza who drag their young children around and beg for money. If you catch their eyes they will be after you and even touch you as they beg. Watch your pockets. <BR><BR>Slow down and enjoy. Definitely stop for ice cream at Berthillon in Isle St. Louis. There are two locations on Rue St Louis en l'isle that I noticed. You will see the lines on a nice day. Parisians sit outside in cafes, by the Seine, on the park benches or chairs to enjoy the fresh air, even when it's chilly out.<BR><BR>Ask yourself what you want out of your trip: to show off that you're an American with $$ in another country, or that you are a traveler looking to gain world experiences. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:12 PM
k

Well said Beverly!!!<BR>Topping this and I wish you would repeat it in it's own little trip report...it would be such a pleasure for people who keep asking about jeans and sneakers - as if it is the national dress for America!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:14 PM
t

t

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:40 PM
mimi taylor

Thanks Bev, one one of the nicest brief info posts Ive seen, we are all happy you are having a good time and wish you better weather.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Louise

last year when I was in Paris I saw lots of young (under 35) people wearing jeans. Maybe not with big clodding white tennis shoes, but fashionable jeans with trendy tops and smart shoes.<BR><BR>NOT in nice restaurants, no, but during the day, shopping, etc.<BR><BR>Really, as long as you don't look like a SLOB you will be fine.<BR><BR>I guess people have different ideas of how a person looks in jeans, but you can be very well groomed, positively trendy in fact. It doesn't necessarily mean you are wearing huge tennis shoes and a Bud Light T-Shirt.<BR><BR>And in the summer we saw many men in shorts. My husband was upset because he had brought khakis/pants only and loves to wear shorts, and here were all the natives wearing shorts in the 80F weather.<BR><BR>Thing is, the French do it in style. They can wear a potato sack and put in together nicely.<BR><BR>Bottom line: it's not WHAT you where, it's how you wear it.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:07 AM
oh-

-<BR>ttt

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:51 AM
read

No need to defend your reasons for wearing jeans.<BR>Some people want to know IF they are wearing them in Paris,this gives you an idea from someone who is/was there.<BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Wendy

Great trip report Beverly! <BR><BR>One thing I wanted to add in regard to the taxi's is that you can't really hail a cab in Paris because they use the cab stand method. You have to stand in line at designated cab stands and wait your turn. I found this out the hard way!