Reload this Page >

Cheap pubs in London

Search

Cheap pubs in London

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Natasha

Cheap pubs in London

Hi, My husband and I will be in London for our second time in September this year. Does anyone have any recommendations of good pubs or restaurants? We like to eat where the locals eat, are not too picky with food, like ethnic food, love fish and chips, like a relaxed atmosphere - nothing to fancy and expensive, like live music, and location is somewhat important since we will be using public transportation.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:16 AM
david west

This is a very open ended question. London is VERY big. Where abouts will you be based?<BR><BR>You really can't go wrong with the Evening Standard's pub guide (about &pound;10, available everywhere). Their recommendations are pretty well spot on.<BR><BR>Where are you staying?

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:06 PM
janis

London has hundreds and hundreds, and HUNDREDS, of pubs and restaurants. Giving you suggestions for one in - say Chiswick - would not be of much help if you are staying in Greenwich or Bloomsbury.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Bob

The BEST is the Stick and Weasle just up from the Angel Metro. Wife and I stayed upstairs there for a while (rented a room) a while back and had a great time. Good Food - Good People - Safe area - easy to go anywhere on the Metro or the double deckers. Do try it!

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Keith

Cheap pubs in London - a bit of a contradiction there! If someone finds one can they tell me?!<BR><BR>I'd also suggest the Evening Standard pub guide, and you might want a look at the Standard's website www.thisislondon.co.uk. Apart from that, I don't think you'll have much problem finding somewhere. One tip might be to try to avoid pubs which look like they are targeting themselves at tourists - they will probably not be particularly good and by all accounts the food isn't brilliant.<BR><BR>If you don't mind "chain pubs" for food as opposed to the one-off local (sadly not too many left) then I would suggest looking for "All Bar One", "Hogshead" or a Wetherspoons pub (they usually have "moon" in the title, eg "Lord Moon on the Mall" on Whitehall.)<BR><BR>For fish and chips there was a thread discussing this elsewhere which came up with a couple of takeaways near Victoria Station..<BR><BR>For ethnic food, the best areas are Soho (for Chinese) and Brick Lane (for Indian.) If you want to venture a little farther south, you could head to Tooting which also has a large number of South Indian / Sri Lankan restaurants.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:51 AM
trying

Was in London last week. At Ben Haines' suggestion, we ate at the Albert near Victoria Station. Not cheap, but good. There is food upstairs (a carvery, which was more expensive) and food at the bar (during our visit there were 4 specials (including one curry dish), plus sandwiches, pasties,etc.) On our previous visit we ate at the Lamb and Flag near Covent Garden (very good and hearty, great atmosphere) and at the Cheshire Cheese (great atmosphere, ok food). For a variety, go on a London Walks pub walk one evening to scout out several locations.