cheap plane ticket to heathrow?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Cheryl

cheap plane ticket to heathrow?

i'm traveling from pittsburgh, pa to heathrow either march 28 or 29 to april 6 or 7... i'm having a hard time finding cheap plane tickets and I've never been to europe so I'm not even sure what is a good price... do you any websites or airlines that might have good prices?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 07:51 AM
ryan

www.orbitz.com
www.flycheap.com

Or - if you dont care too much about theplane or times to go try hotwire.com, but I usually find the best fares on the first two. Post your results .

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Mel

Don't forget to try the airline Web sites--they're often better and will give frequent flyer miles (if you're not signed up for frequent flyer, do so as soon as you choose your airline).
British Airways sent an e-mail yesterday about really low fares. They don't fly out of Pittsburgh anymore, but you should be able to take Southwest or America West cheaply to O'Hare and pick it up there. check www.britishairways.com.
If you can get a ticket with a total price of under $350 grab it. Also, remember if you check Web sites that you often have to add taxes and fees to the price quoted, which is often over $100. The airline Web sites usually include that in their fares. I just went on British Airways and they're showing about $715 from Chicago--way too high. An Expedia search pulled up an American out of Pittsburgh for about $675. Still too high. If you can back your trip up to go out and return in March you shoul be able to do much better.

Good luck!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:25 AM
elaine

Cheryl
I got a fare on United from NYC to London in February for about $280, but I booked it a month ago.
Some very cheap fares don't apply after the end of March, but that may change if
air travel doesn't pick up.
I found the fare on Orbitz.com (inexpen. hotel rates too) but then booked directly with my airline and my hotel.
I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me. Enjoy your first trip!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:41 AM
John

Cheryl:
You'll find the cheapest fares when you fly mid-week. Also, check the web sites daily. Specials appear daily.
John

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Julie

Travelocity and Expedia both have services that will notify you when airfares for a specific itinerary drop down $25.00 or more. I got a great airfare that way. Normally flying on Tues, Wed., Thu., or Sat. are cheapest.

Good luck!
Julie

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 09:16 AM
adams

Based on the lowest flights shown on Travelocity, you need to change your plans and leave a week earlier! All the cheap flights expire about Mar 21.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Margaret White

We had to go to the U.K. suddenly as my mother-in-law died on January 1. Tried www.lastminutetravel.com and got ideas of fares but couldn't figure out how to book it on their web site and they were closed on New Year's Day. Used that information and booked with priceline.com and went with Delta for $479 (we offered $450) who had quoted us about $1500. It's best if you can give them a few dates to work with.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Vita

Julie, Went on Expedia and couldn't figure out how to do that. Could you tell me?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Julie

Hi Cheryl,

When you go to Expedia, scroll down to the part called "Traveler Tools", and you'll see a link for "Fare Tracker." Click on that, and it will ask you to register with Expedia (give them your personal info), then ask you where and when you want to travel. They will e-mail you every week with the lowest fares.

The Travelocity thing is similar, and its called "Fare Watcher." It will e-mail you if the fare drops by $25.00 or more. I found a VERY good fare using this, then booked it directly with the airline.

Another good tool is travel.yahoo.com. What I like about this search engine is that you can choose "my dates are flexible", and it will show you low fares for all different dates. Sometimes if you leave on a Thursday instead of a Friday, you can save a lot of money. Other search engines will ask you for specific dates, so you aren't able to see what your other options are.

Orbitz.com is pretty good, too. It's the site run by a group of airlines, and sometimes it offers the lowest fares.

If you sign up with the two fare trackers, and check the other sites every few days, you'll probably find something, or at least know that you're getting the best price that's out there at the time you're traveling.

Have a great time in Europe! Your first visit should be really exciting! (And let us know if you found a good fare).

Julie

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Don

Cheryl, not sure if you're aware, but London is served by 5 airports: Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, City, and Luton. Flights from North America arrive at either Heathrow or Gatwick (except a few charters to Stansted). USAir fly PIT-LGW (Gatwick) daily nonstop. That would probably be easiest--and likely cheapest--for your itinerary. Try them at www.usairways.com

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Barbara

We recently purchased tickets from Just Fares . We bought for August on Air Canada which is a partner with United so will get miles. Their price was the best to London.