Reload this Page >

CHEAP EATS IN SCANDINAVIA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 04:28 PM
Joanna White

I would be grateful for any info. on reasonably priced cafes/restaurants in Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen and Stockholm - particularly those in the city centre or close to tourist sites.

Old Mar 26th, 1998, 02:03 AM
Sarah

Joanna - you will have some problems finding cheap restaurants in Scandinavia - prices in restaurants are quite steep, even if you just go out for pizza (especially if you include any alcohol). But of course, some places are more reasonable than others. Sofies Cafe near the Floibanen in Bergen has a very nice atmosphere and is relatively reasonable, with good food (and GREAT cake). Also not too far from Floibanen is a good dinner place with nice atmosphere - Det skjeve tårn (the leaning tower) and as I remember not too expensive - also a bit off the beaten track so there won't be many tourists - I used to eat there sometimes when I was a student.

One nice thing about Norwegian restaurants is that there is always a menu displayed at the entrance, so you can check out the prices before going in.

Old Mar 26th, 1998, 06:19 AM
Arizona

We, too, found restaurant prices to be quite high throughout Scandinavia. Cafeterias offered the best value for money, we found. Since breakfast was included with lodging, we picnicked at midday and had our only other main meal in the evening. Ask students; they know where bargains are found. All we contacted were helpful, spoke splendid English, and knew where the locals ate.

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 09:03 AM
MARGO HART

IN OUR TRAVELS IN SCANDINAVIA WE FOUND <BR>THAT THE BIG DEPARTMENT STORES HAD SOME <BR>GOOD FOOD, DAILY SPECIALS THAT WE THOUGHT WERE VERY REASONABLE- MOST OF THE DEPARTMENT STORES HAVE RESTAURANTS OR CAFETERIAS. <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 01:39 PM
Nils

In Bergen you should try "Holbergstuen" in Torgalmenningen. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is typical for Bergen. Ludvig Holberg was a great danish/norwegian author (born in Bergen). I agree that Sophie also is great. The chinese restaurants in Bergen give good value for money. You also should try the typical norwegian cafeteria "Ervingen" in Strandkaien near the fish market. Welcome to Bergen. <BR>Nils <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 1998, 06:12 AM
anna

If you do happen to be looking for pizza, try American Pizza at Gyldenløvsgade 13 for very good and cheap pizza. Say hi to Arya for us if you go there. He's an entertaining guy too. Just a short walk up the street from the Radhuspladsen.

Old Sep 12th, 1998, 06:13 AM
anna

oops, forgot to mention that's in Copenhagen. Have fun.