Cheap Eats in Paris Book...

Dec 14th, 1998, 10:34 AM
Monica

Cheap Eats in Paris Book...

For some reason, my original question did not go through!

My question is: Does anyone know if Sandra A. Gustafson will be publishing a 1999 Cheap Eats in Paris book? I'm going to Paris in May and would rather purchase her latest book. Your comments are appreciated.

Dec 14th, 1998, 11:38 AM
Carol

Hi Monica--The 1998 edition is completely revised and updated. I'd buy it, since I don't think the books are updated annually.

Dec 15th, 1998, 05:03 AM
Monica

Hi Carol, thanks for your message. I will definitely buy it! I understand there are a lot of good restaurant suggestions.

Dec 15th, 1998, 08:48 AM
Carol

Monica--You should also get a copy of Zagat's Guide to Paris restaurants. Their guide for NYC is great so I figure the Paris one should be good too. Also check the paris.com website (I think that's the one) for good restaurant reviews with pictures!

Dec 15th, 1998, 09:33 AM
Monica

Thanks Carol! I'll check that web site.

Dec 17th, 1998, 10:27 PM
Donna

The 1998 edition is the most current, the previous edition is 1995, so I doubt it's updated every year. Of my various restaurant guides, this was my absolute favorite. We were not disappointed with any of my selections and most were terrific. The Access guide is excellent as well (and also good for sightseeing, and it's organized by neighborhood). Keep in mind that any guide is out of date when it goes to press. Places close, chefs change, hours are revised, etc. Also, for some reason, restaurants in Paris really appreciate reservations, even if they are not particularly busy, even if you phone ahead on your way over. You receive a much warmer welcome (we discovered) if you call ahead. If you aren't fluent in French, don't worry. Nearly everyone understands enough to take a reservation, or will find someone for you who does. The very first restaurant we visited (with no reservation) was from Cheap Eats, and the experience got our visit off to a fabulous start. If you enjoy researching on the web, be sure to check out www.paris-restaurants.com and www.best-restaurants.com (order the book - it's terrific).