Chateauneuf du Pape

Feb 27th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Chateauneuf du Pape

Anyone know how much a bottle of this might cost? Any discounts for buying 6?
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Like many french wines this southern Rhone style can be found for a variety of prices. The 98 which is a very good year for this can range from $20 to $100+

Usually you only get discounts for buying by the case but if you develop a good relationship with your local wine shop you may get a 10% for half cases.

Sante!
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Depends on the vintage and the producer. I just did a quick search on the Beverages & More site (bevmo.com) and they have Chateauneuf-du-Pape listed at prices ranging from $16-50 USD. (Interestingly, Wilfred Wong rated one each of the least and most expensive wines on the list at 91 on a 100-point scale.) I'm sure that upscale wineshops have Chateauneuf-du-Pape at much higher prices for certain producers and vintages.

Many places give a case discount, but fewer offer a price break for smaller purchases. I've been known to buy a mixed case if I find 2 or 3 wines that I'd like to have a few bottles of at a time.
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Like any other Region in France there is great variation in price within the Chateauneuf de Pape (CdP) region. If you plan to purchase while in the CdP region, I suggest you seek out the vignerons you like or have been referred to and purchase directly from them (it is cheaper than going to a wine shop). While some of the luxery cuvees from Beaucastle, Brunel, Usseglio, Rayas, etc... can skyrocket to $250+ US in a good year, many CdPs can be purchased for 20 euros. Currently 2000s are available with some of the 2001s beginning to make their way to the consumer. 2000 is considered to be a very good year for CdP with wines showing good levels of glycerin and fruit rounded out with ripe tanins and sound acid. Very well structured from what I've tasted so far. 2001 is also a good year. Avoid anything from 2002 as the floods in the region ruined most of the crop.
If you are not familiar with CdP, it is something very different than the popular US red wine varietals (i.e. Cab. Sauv. & Merlot). French law allows upwards of 20 different varietals that can be used to make CdP. If you would like to experiment with wines of similar components and structure but at half the price, seek out Cote du Rhone, Coteaux de Languedoc and Rousillon as well as others from the south of France made with Grenache, Mouvedre, Syrah. Hopefully you will find ones you like and can begin to explore other areas with similar varietals.
Cheers! Gregg
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM

topping
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Gregg, you sound very enlightened in the world of wine. However, I am not. I am not a big wine lover, but many of my family members are, hence why I asked the question. I will take your recommendations with me. I plan on bringing back a couple of well wrapped bottles with me in September. Thanks, again.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:58 PM

Hi all
I asked a question on another wine thread a few weeks back for a specific wine from CdP called Baronnie d'Estouard. I and someone else did a google search on it and came up with a phone number for the distributor in Paris?. Trying the number for a few weeks now and I get no answer. How can we get this wine in the US? Thanks
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:47 PM

Most CdPs can be purchased in the US for an amount equal to or only slightly more than what you can get them for in France. When I first went to France I had the fantasy I'd be able to buy Lafite-Rothchilds or Moutons for 1/2 the price but was quickly educated the prices there are the same as here. I'd suggest bringing home wines from local producers that don't export to the States for your relatives. Ask the local wine merchant for suggestions. This way you won't be carrying wine all over France that you could probably purchase at a local wine store around the corner from your home.
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:55 AM
ira

Hi
May I suggest that, since you are not well-versed in wines, that you ask your friends what wines they would like you to bring them?
If these are intended as gifts, set a price range.
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Richard is correct that many CdP's are available in the US at reasonable prices. I would also agree that seeking out local wines that do not make it to market in the US is worthwhile. However, finding wines of this type takes a lot of effort. My suggestion to Luv2travel is to find a wine shop, and ask the salesperson for wines that are not exported. If you are in Paris I know of several wine shops that can accomodate this request. Post a reply or email me and I'll be glad to fill you in.
Best,
Gregg
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Gregg,
Please email me a couple of wine shops. We will be staying in the 7th, if that helps.
[email protected]
Thanks!!
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Here is a good thread listing some wine shops in Paris (with some recs from Gregg): http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=34397608

A text search for "wine shop and Paris" will turn up more. If you want to do some tasting, try a similar search - "wine tasting and Paris". Le Passage is a great place to try something new, as is L'Ecluse.
Mar 5th, 2003, 12:52 PM

As one who did some tastings in the town of CdP and schlepped back 4 bottles for adult children, buy it in the US. It is d__ heavy. Bringing wine back is hardly worth the effort. As for a wine shop in the 7th, the supermarket at theEcole Militaire stop has a good selection. There is a FLO shop on Lamotte Picquet. There are wine shops on Rue Cler and practically every street in the vicinity.
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM

besides this area which other French wine zone do recommend for a 6 day trip to France... want to experience the French wine country. thanks!
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Lewis (underlined):

<Trying the number for a few weeks now and I get no answer.>

What time zone are you in, and what time did you call?
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM

I fell in love with white Chateauneuf du Pape & carted 4 bottles home to wine country California. Anyone know of anywhere to find it in the states?
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Most large wine stores in San Francisco have it. If not, Google Chateauneuf du Pape and look in the right hand column for where to order it.
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Any reputable wine store in teh states should carry it. Total Wine in the SE has a good selection w/some being priced as low as $14.95. However, due to the name recognition, you'll not likely find as many 'deals' as you might in other French areas such as the Rhone region.
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:37 AM

I guess some of you didn't realize that this post is from 2003?
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM

The question from cobbie that some of us are answering was just asked yesterday.