Reload this Page >

Chartres - from Paris

Search

Chartres - from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 02:19 PM
julie

Chartres - from Paris

Close to paris -- can make it in a day? Is it really fabulous?

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 02:53 PM
J. Morton

Julie, Chartres is an easy train trip from Paris and a wonderful excursion for a day if the splendors of a cathedral and, particularly, wonderful stained glass are of interest. The town itself is of moderate interest, but the cathedral and a leisurely lunch can take/make your day.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 02:54 PM
J. Morton

Julie, Chartres is an easy train trip from Paris and a wonderful excursion for a day if the splendors of a cathedral and, particularly, wonderful stained glass are of interest. The town itself is of moderate interest, but the cathedral and a leisurely lunch can take/make your day.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 05:10 AM
dan

Chartres is about an hour by train (I think around $25 roundtrip. The cathedral is about a ten minute walk from the train station. A good tour of the cathedral, including climbing the towers, might take you a couple of hours. A walk around the restored area around the cathedral is another 1-2 hours - start at the back of the cathedral. If you go to Chartres, you should see the restored old area. It is quite attractive and will give you a good break from the hustle and bustle of Paris.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 05:56 AM
elaine

just a few more details <BR>there are hourly trains from Gare <BR>Montparnasse to Chartres, travel time ranges from 50-70 minutes. Some of these trains stop at Maintenon and Rambouillet. <BR>Malcolm Miller has been conducting tours of the cathedral in English for years. They are wonderful. I don't have his tour schedule at my fingertips at the moment but I believe there is one around 2-2:30 in the afternoon. There may be one earlier in the day as well. Can anyone chime in here? <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 09:13 AM
julie cabral

Julie: Chartres is fabulous and an easy train trip from Paris. Go to website <BR>www.raileurope.com to get train schedules to and from Chartres as well as fares. We plan on doing this when we go next week leaving about 8:30 am and returning late afternoon!It can be a very spiritual and moving visit. I was impressed the first time I went when I was 10. <BR>

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 05:44 AM
Boots

<BR>One year ago Malcolm Miller was giving his wonderful lectures at 12 and again at 2:45. The noon one is different from the afternoon presentation. If you want to check to make certain he is there, the telephone number is 02 37 21 56 33. As stated by others, it is a very easy day trip.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 12:09 PM
Eileen

Just got back ... spent a day at Chartres, took the train in and then a bus to the cathedral ... could have walked but didn't ... Malcolm's tours were at noon and 2:30 and he now charges 40 ff per person for the hour long tour. It was worth it, despite the fact that he can be a bit pompous .... we arrived at about 10:30 and left at about 4:30

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 07:29 PM
Donna

Do you like mosaics? Do this schedule: arrive early to Chartres, and take a taxi to Maison Picassiette--the House of Picassiette, taxi driver knows the way. It is the home of a man who tended the cemetery for many years, and he MOSAICed his home and grounds. <BR> <BR>My sister is a stained glass artist and she was in heaven this day: 2 hours at Maison Piccasiette, lunch on the corner by Chartres Cathedral, tour of the Cathedral, up the side tower, an hour at the International Stained Glass Center. <BR> <BR>Don't miss Chartres. Center of worship for centuries. <BR>