Reload this Page >

Charming Towns in Northeast Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Mari

We are thinking about arriving in Venice and then visiting towns with charm and history in Northeast Italy for about 5 nights before heading north to the Dolomites. Currently the list is too long and we want to narrow it down. We enjoy talking to people, long meals, interesting architecture, sites laden with history, etc. We also enjoy small towns as we currently live in NYC. We don't want to spend a lot of time travelling between towns, and we are planning on using public transportation. Currently, we are planning on visiting Verona (2 nights), Bologna (1 night), and maybe Ravenna, Mantua, Padua, Lake Garda, Vicenza, Ferrara, Bassano del Grapa, or Asolo. Any information regarding these towns would be greatly appreciated. Also, we are looking for recommendations on interesting places to stay in this area (historical buildings or charming B&Bs - not fancy) for under $100. Thanks!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Santa Chiara

Tough list to narrow down, and it depends on what you like to do. Personally, Ravenna is not to be missed because of the mosaics, and it is a pleasant town in its own right. Also, I really like Mantua (Mantova); the Sforza castello as well as the Palazzo Te are magnificant, and the town itself has a wonderful feel to it. Ferrara is interesting also, but I prefer Mantova. <BR> <BR>May I add to the confusion and suggest Trento, up closer to the Dolomites. Wonderful medium-sized town nestled in the Dolomites with a fantastic castle as well as a very walkable, liveable city center. <BR> <BR>No matter what you decide, you will have a great time. <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:01 AM
kathy

Hi Mari: <BR> <BR>I can definitely put in a vote for Verona. I absolutely loved the town center with its beautiful streets and squares. Try to stay within the old town walls so that you'll be closer to everything. <BR> <BR>I also must vote against Bologna. I wasn't very impressed by the city at all. But then again, it was in the miserable heat of July (105F) and we were in a hotel without AC. I would spend the extra night in Verona or Venice. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Carey

Mari, <BR> <BR>My vote is for Verona and Vicenza. Verona is a beautiful town, with one of the best preserved, and still in use, Roman Ampitheatres. The side walks are marble, and the people of Verona are the epitome of what we imagine "high class Italians" to be. Vicenza is also a very interesting city. It was rebuilt by the architect Palladio, after being completely destroyed in a war with Venice. There are also numerous Villa designed by Palladio surrounding the area which are some of the most significate Villas ever built. The town itself has an youthful energy due to the college that is located there. It definately is not a tourist town, so if you are interested in real Italian life in a regular city, I would pick Vicenza. It does not have the industrial areas that Verona does, so it has a lot of charm. <BR> <BR>I spent a week in Bologna. I used it as my homebase for my first trip to Italy. Because all trains from North to South travel through Bologna, it did make it a perfect location for day tripping to Venice, Vicenza, and Florence. (but I would not recommend it, and I would never do that again.) The town itself did not have much to offer me, as a first time traveler to Italy. After more experience traveling, I now know, that I like to spend a couple of days in a place to get to know it better, instead of seeing as much as possible in a small amount of time. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Sally

You would enjoy Hotel Duse- $94- in Asolo.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:46 PM
Rex

I thought Bassano del Grappa was terrific for a one night stay this past spring. This is a much smaller town than Verona, and not comparable in terms of city versus village "feel". <BR> <BR>I am not putting down Verona, but it is a full-blown city with a convention center, traffic jams and so forth (mostly relevant getting into and out of town). <BR> <BR>And we enjoyed our stay at Albergo (Hotel) Al Castello, Via Bonamigo 36061 Bassano del Grappa, Tel: 011 39 042.422.8665 - - Fax: 011 39 042.422.8665 <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:21 PM
Chris S

Two posters have implied the Verona has 'industrial areas' and 'traffic jams and a convention center'. Maybe it does, but this has nothing to do with the center, which is charming and beautiful, and traffic free. Reminds me of Lucca, in some ways, which has an intact wall inside of which everything is 'original' (old). <BR> <BR>In fact, in retrospect, we did arrive at the Verona train station, and it was large and modern, and surrounded by other modern stuff. But then we got into a taxi to the town, and it was a different world. Our hotel was right off the main square outside the amphitheater and we loved it - more than Venice. <BR> <BR>We were disappointed with Bologna overall. The only appealing thing was the sidewalks. They must have a law that says that every single sidewalk in the city must be an arched recess in the building - very beautiful. We saw this in other Italian cities, but not to the extent of Bologna.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:42 PM
Holly

Is it walkable to the historical centre from the train station, or does one have to navigate the bus schedule?

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 03:00 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello from Vienna/Austria! <BR>I vote for Verona! Padua is ok. Do you have time enough to go to Firenze? I like Lucca very much too. Lake Garda is very touristy. <BR>But Verona is a must!! <BR>Regards <BR>Silvia

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 06:18 AM
gb

If you are in Venice in the summer, you might like a diversion to Lido di Jesolo. Not really historic, but filled with many people from different countries enjoying time at the beach. My kids loved it, and although history is great, a day at the beach was a nice break.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Mari

WOW! thanks to everyone that has responded! You guys are grea! Just a clarification...we will be going in March '01, so hopefully we will avoid the summer crowds. I have been to Venice in March before and it is really not too crowded. Also, we have been previously to Florence and Siena, so we are trying to focus on the Northeast. I'm reconsidering whether to go to Bologna...why is it that people didn't like it? I thought it had an old center, like Verona? Thanks again!

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Patrick

We stayed in Bologna for three nights a couple of years ago when we were traveling without a car. Decided it would be a good base with our train pass for visiting other cities --Parma was interesting for a day trip, for example. We really liked Bologna. We stayed at the delightful Hotel Corona D'Oro. The city was so non-touristy. We loved going out to dinner with the locals --just finding a crowded spot and checking the posted menu. The architecture is interesting, especially the miles of covered arcades everywhere. It would be a great place to be if it were raining; you'd never get wet.

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 04:45 PM
betty

Not to detract from original question, but, would like some more input on Bologna. Planning to go there from <BR>Carnival in Venice; the guide books speak better that most of these responses. Any good reports on Bologna?

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 03:30 AM
Paulo

It really depends on what you're looking for, Betty. Just about all guide books rate Bologna below, say, Verona, Ravenna, Lucca, Siena, Pisa and Assisi. This is so because each of the above cities boasts what one call first class sights. So, specially for the average first time visitor to Italy, Bologna may seem void of attractions when compared to other cities. In Italy, Bologna is mainly know for its University. It's not only one of the oldest in Europe; on a recent rating it has been declared the best in Italy (not only for its faculty and installations, also because of what the city is able to offer students in terms of housing, cheap eating out, transportation, cultural events, etc). <BR> <BR>Patrick gives a good hint on the attractiveness of Bologna. Unlike most of the other disclosed above, Bologna is a city that doesn't make tourism as its primary economic activity. Not by a long shot. For visitors that have already experienced quite a few, say, "touristy" cities in Italy, this may come as a relief: to experience a city that goes about its normal life with relatively very few tourists around. There's the food ... one doesn't need to compile a list of recommended restaurants. A crowded place (and there are dozens) is a sure bet of satisfaction. Then there is the beatiful old city center, with the trio of Piazze (Maggiore, del Nettuno with Gianbologna's Neptune Fountain and Porta Ravegnana), the Palazzo Comunale and del Podestà, both of which may be visited inside, the Basilicas of San Petronio and Santo Stefano, the strange leaning towers and the famous arcaded sidewalks. Besides a number of other churches (San Giacomo Maggiore, San Domenico, San Francesco, etc) if one's interested in the Bologna painting school (specially the Carracci brothers, Guido Reni, Guercino, Domenichino, etc), the Pinacoteca Nazionale is a must. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 04:10 AM
betty

Thanks for your insight, Paulo. Hope it <BR>was helpful to everyone else as well. I think Bologna sounds like what we are looking for after the "rush" of Venice.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 02:36 PM
alan

Hi! Just wanted to add my 2c, if you are heading up to the Dolomites afterwardsthink of Merano and/or Cortina. We were in Merano a few years ago and it was pleasant and we stayed for a couple of days. Cortina is a good good city in the Dolomites. enjoy alan

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Mari

Alan, <BR>I haven't heard much of Merano...what about did you enjoy? We might be able to squeeze it in while we are in the Dolomites.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 02:27 PM
alan

Hi! Just had to look it up again in my book. It is in northcentral Italy about 75-100 km from Innsbruck Austria. We were there several years ago after following the Michelin greeguide bood to Italy. We took a route that they recommended from Cortina d'Ampezzo to Bolzano. It is one of the most picturesque rides we have ever taken.. Merano was north of there. It has a nice esplanade to walk, very relaxing and the climate was very nice. After experiencing snow in the Dolomites this was really a great place. It is not touristed by Americans though it is a tourist spot for Europeans. It has a cathedral and a Hapsburg castle. It has several promonades for walking as well as cable cars and chairlifts for shiers. We were there in Seotember and live in the South so we were not really prepared for the Dolomites. They are magnificant. We stayed there 2-3 days and just enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. check it out in a guidebook, but use a good one not just a book that covers the main cities and sites. Enjoy alan