Reload this Page >

Charles Bridge at night

Search

Charles Bridge at night

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 02:50 PM
JCK

Charles Bridge at night

Hello. I am leaving for Prague at the end of July, and would like to know whether or not it is safe to walk the Charles bridge or or walk anyway in Prague at night.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Steve

The Charles Bridge is a major tourist attraction in Prague, so there are usually lots of people there. Take the usual precautions and I think you will find Prague safe. We walked virtually everywhere we went and had no problems.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Christina

I'm pretty sure the crime rate you are worried about (assault, I presume, or muggings) is lower in Prague than in most major US cities. In any case, there are tons of people about in the main areas at night, so it is quite safe (Chas Bridge, Old Town Sq, etc) to walk about those areas, which I'm sure is where you would want to. Chas Bridge and everything is beautiful at night due to lights on the castle, etc, so you definitely should take a stroll at night to view it. I wasn't in this place at night (Wenceslaus Sq) but have read it is not nice nor a place you should walk at night due to lots of prostitutes, etc, but there's nothing particularly attractive about it that you would want to walk around there. Stick to the bridge and Old Town Square, probably lesser town square is fine, too, but it's not as visual.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 08:06 PM
Linda

The Charles Bridge and Wenceslas Square are both reasonably safe--just normal precautions that you would take in any big city. We stayed near Wenceslas Sq so walked at night & there are many people so we never felt nervous. Some very nice hotels & penzions are near there. The Charles Bridge at night is a must-see as is beautiful & romantic.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 11:08 PM
Anna

Just be really careful about pickpockets - they are worse there than anywhere else I've been in Europe. I had my purse stolen out of my bag, without noticing, and I know several people who had things stolen there. Don't let it worry you though, just keep a close eye on your belongings and don't put anything where it can easily be grabbed.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 04:07 AM
Mary Ann

Prague is exceptionally lovely at night. Last Sept we did alot of walking at night without any problems (twice accross Charles bride) and around Wenselas. We used usual precautions as mentioned above. The lights are beautiful at night, especially looking across the river to the castle, if you like to take pictures at night it is a perfect place. We stayed in Stare Mesto and really felt safer walking than using public transportation. (We used the tram without a problem, one person who we thought was intrusive turned out to be a checker trying to see if we had our tickets punched. He spoke minimal english which made it dificult but once he saw it punched was all smiles). Have a wonderful trip it was one of our favorite locations.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 04:41 AM
maggi

We were in Prague in 1991, so I don't know if things have changed since then, but we ended up just by accident strolling across the Charles bridge at sunset. A flock of birds swooped overhead and the statues in shadow were eerie, like live figures from the past. There were many young people and street performers. We have one on video, a pair of formally dressed marionettes singing to taped opera music. The only disappointment was that the shops on the other side were closed at that time of day.