Reload this Page >

charging for ketchup

Search

charging for ketchup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:25 AM
john

charging for ketchup

Hi,<BR><BR>fyi.<BR><BR>Just wanted to inform fodorites that some restaurants in belgium charge for ketchup.<BR><BR>I went to a restaurant in Brugge called La Dentelliere. Not only was the food not very good but they even charged 50 belgium francs for ketchup for the french fries (frites).<BR><BR>Soon after, I was told that this is not an uncommon practice.<BR><BR>john<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:50 AM
SharonM

In Portugal, you also need to be aware that bread, olives, butter, and other condiments or appetizers that are automatically brought out to your table are NOT free. You will be charged for whatever/how many you use/eat.<BR>The charge is not necessarily outrageous, but just something to be aware of.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Rex

Sounds similar to charging for cheese on a hamburger, or sour cream on a baked potato to me.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Les

My God! Ketchup on french fries? I wouldn't even serve you, much less charge you.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Hi Rex:<BR>I was wondering where you were today.<BR>I find you most entertaining...<BR>Keep me gasping and laughing out loud!<BR>Have a great day. We have our "Rex" on the cruise boards. His name is "Greg" have you met? Oh no...you don't "do" the cruise boards do you?

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Rex

Hi, Oaktown...<BR><BR>No, I don' think I could ever do a cruise.<BR><BR>Two problems:<BR><BR>1. The boat as an "edge"<BR>2. Other passengers.<BR><BR<BR><BR>R<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Al Godon

Catsup or ketchup on french fries?<BR>Try that in France and you might be deported, or confined to quarters and served Scottish food for a year. (Back to Hagis in a tube.)<BR>I can see why Rex would not a cruise.<BR>The other passengers would throw him overboard.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Patrick

Some people see a glass half full; others see it half empty. You see that they charge you for the ketchup; I see that they give you mayonnaise free. <BR>I seldom eat French Fries at home, but if I did, I think I'd want to ask for mayonnaise they way they serve them in Belgium. I wonder if our restaurants would charge extra for the mayonnaise?

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Toni

We were in Brugge (what a beautiful place) a few years ago and went into a wonderful resturant for some lunch. We both ordered moules (mussels) &amp; frites me with a glass of wine and the hubbie ordered a strawberry milkshake...I thought the waiter was going to throw us out! He groaned, grimaced and said "no way"...he said he would serve it to him for dessert...we still laugh about it to this day. <BR>p.s. we weren't charged for the ketchup.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:31 PM
anna

I was dining in a pretty nice restaurant last night in New York, which happened to serve french fries. So, since I was already chatting with waiter, I asked him what types of things people ask for with fries. The number one answer (almost always from Americans) was Ketchup. Second was gravy or vinegar or both (Canadians), then Mayonaise (several Europeans), then Salsa (Mexican), and a variety of others including italian dressing (seasoned oil salad dressing), barbeque sauce, ranch dressing (oniony mayo-based dressing), and tartar sauce. I found it quite amusing.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Judy

Anna: where is mustard(dijon)? I love moutarde and frites....mmmmm, Judy

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Lizzie

Isn't vinegar on fries typically British as well as Canadian? Personally, I love it! I really like the Belgian frites places popping up around Manhattan where one can buy fries served in a cone with an assortment of sauces, ranging from another favorite of mine - mayonnaise - to really funky stuff. I just wanted to add blue cheese dressing to the nix, though... mmmmm...<BR><BR>Lizzie<BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Les

While dining in France, my son ordered a Coupe Danemark (chocolate sundae) for desert. Since he doesn't like whipped cream, he ordered it without. The waiter was shocked. "But Sir", he said, "it will no longer be beautiful!"

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Nancy

While in Germany we ate at (yes, I will admit it) a McDonalds!! Anyway, they charged for the ketchup there also.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Steve Curry

<BR>In Australia, I have been charged for 'tomato sauce' several times. <BR><BR>To add to my displeasure, the packets were so small that you needed to buy about ten of them for a sufficient amount.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Lidija

I remember one time going to McDonalds (yuck gross) with a coworker and she asked for McChicken sauce to dip her fries in. One way to make McDonalds even more disgusting!<BR><BR>And as a Canadian yes I put vinegar on my fries but Malt Vinegar not the white stuff.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 02:03 PM
vicki

I just returned from the UK and everytime I asked for ketchup for my chips (that's what they call fries) I was charged 5p per tiny little packet.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Joyce

Are any of you old enough to remember "The Great War" in the 40's? I recall being charged for catsup in Portland, Oregon. Seems tomatoes had gone to war. I remember being charged about half the price of the hamburger for the catsup. We used to wonder if that entitled you to take the rest of the bottle home with you. J/K

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Anon

My grandfather tells me of stories, before prohibition, of a beer for 10 cents, and a ham sandwich came with it for free. Eventually, I guess they started charging for the ham sandwich. I'm sure they were shocked about that in the beginning too.<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Pas de nom

En France, we say<BR><BR>Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -