Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice in September?Also any good cheap hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planning to visit Venice in September. What is the climate like then and are the prices still very high.

I have no idea of where to stay or where the best location is to stay. Does anyone have an recommendations for reasonable priced hotels.

thanks
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Prices will not be low, they never really are in Venice, but if there's a bargain to be had it would most likely be Nov, Jan, or Feb before Carnevale.

Please say what you want to spend on a hotel, and if you want an elevator or a/c or private bath.

My trips to Venice have all been in late Sept-early Oct. There are plenty of tourists, but the summer nutsiness is over. I have found that in the mornings or evenings I might want a sweater or light jacket, but by lunch time I wanted to ditch that,except when taking long boat rides on windy days.
Occasional drizzle, occasionally heavy rain.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Try Hotel Galleria...www.hotelgalleria.it we paid 95 Euros for a double in May
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 12:41 PM

I 2nd going in September, great time to visit Europe. I also 2nd the Galleria. Great location and the pizzeria next door is cheap and good. My room looked out onto grand canal, and I loved it. Ate my breakfast and watched the world go by on boats! Enjoy!!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Hello,
I am going in early Sept. as well, and noticed that many hotels discussed on this site that are reasonably prices (under 200 Euro) have already been booked, including Galleria, Academia and Lacalcina. Anybody stayed at Antica Venezia? I saw good reviews, but want to make sure.
thanks
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:37 PM

www.minervaenettuno.it
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Also try www.eurocheapo.com
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Just an observation but I've been checking hotels in both Venice and Milan and Milan seems more expensive on the whole than Venice. And the offerings don't appear to be that attractive as they are in Venice.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your advice.

I want something that is around 150 Euros per night. Im looking for a hotel that is clean and has a canal view and central.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 02:54 AM

Bunny,

My wife and I ar also going to venie in September, What I have found out is that most of the good hotels are already booked up. IE.. Academia, galleria, etc.. I know the HOtel Riva does have availability and canal views, i believe it is around 110 euro/night. i would do a search and see if it is a place you would want to stay.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:37 AM

I visited Venice in March and stayed at the Antico Doge Hotel in the Canneregio district. This cost approximately £100 per night for a double room and breakfast, and when we arrived we were upgraded to the suite for two nights. The hotel is on a canal and the suite overlooks it with a balcony. Hotel staff are excellent. Overall we were very pleased with the hotel and its location.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:05 PM

I also was at the Antico Doge in March and recommend it highly. Very nice hotel, excellent location. In a 15th century building that was renovated and made into a hotel a year or two ago.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:33 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Locanda Leon Bianco on the Grand Canal opposite the fish market and with a partial view of the Rialto. Perfetto! From memory the price was about £90.00 a night. The hotel has its own website.

When in Venice, take the Vaporetto 1 to the end of the line - the stop one beyond the railway station - and get off. Walk a few yards up the canal to the return stop, let the first vaporetto go and then you are at the head of the queue for the prime front of boat seats. You get a perfect uninterrupted view of the entire Grand Canal for just a handful of Euros.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM

I arrived in September a few years ago, just the day that the film festival began. The weather was warm during the day, cooler and pleasant at night. I had trouble booking a hotel for the 6 nights I wanted to stay, but once I arrived, I was able to put in a request at my hotel and they were able to accomodate me.