Changing of the Guard Tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm putting the finishing touches on an updated itinerary based on everyone's replies on this forum. I've read several postings where people have taken the Royal London Walk. Does this provide a "guaranteed" better view than going to it on our own? I had originally thought of catching it at the Horse Guards Parade rather than the Palace because of the crowds.

Thanks, Susan
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Hi Susan,

I don't really see a need to have to pay to join a walking group to see the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. We were there just last week and apparently the queen was meeting with the president of Vietnam, so all the flags were flying along the Royal Mile (quite a lovely sight). We got off the subway around 11am and walked along the Royal Mile and half way through saw a small parade of guards with their horses trot down the middle of the street as cars whizzed by on either side. We had a very clear view with almost no one else around us.

After that we walked over to the side to see the guards practicing their music and such, and then took a position to watch the changing. If I had a choice, I would probably stand somewhere in the middle of the fountain, somewhere higher up and facing the middle of the palace court (I think if you get there by 11am is should be fine). Otherwise you'll be either looking through a fence or some guard's back and not see much.

We got frustrated and eventually went way off to the side of the palace gates nearby the Canada gates, and suddenly saw the queen and her husband drive right into the palace in their lovely burgundy Bently. She didn't wave to us but did look very good.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:31 AM
P_M

I've seen the changing of the guard twice and never got close enough to see much of anything, even when I thought I was arriving early. The only reason I went a second time is that I was out-voted by my traveling companions. After it was over they agreed it wasn't worth the time or trouble. We did get lucky and see the changing at Winsdor Castle. That was a lot better, plus it wasn't so hard to get a good view. I think the only way to guarantee a good view is to get there VERY early.

I was in London last December and I was walking past Buckingham Palace one evening on my way back to the hotel. Like Royal Jelly, I was in the right place at the right time and saw the queen pulling into the driveway. She didn't wave back at me either.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone had a better experience seeing it at the Horse Guards Parade? I, too, saw it at Windsor about 6 years ago but my 14 year old has never seen it so I feel obligated to do it. We won't be going to Windsor this time.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM

<i>&quot;The only reason I went a second time is that I was out-voted by my traveling companions. After it was over they agreed it wasn't worth the time or trouble.&quot;</i>

My feelings exactly. I didn't go until my 5th or 6th trip and it's one of the few things in London I'd consider a waste of valuable touring time. It will take an entire 1/2 day of your time. You have to get there very early to get a decent viewing spot and it's not all over until around noon.

I'd check out the change at horseguards instead.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:33 AM
P_M

Samejia, I'm just curious about something. Has you son expressed interest in seeing this? I saw it for the first time when I was 16, but only because I was with an adult who insisted that I see it. If he is really interested, then I don't want to talk you out of it, but if he's not, I think the time is better spent elsewhere.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM

As with most things, timing is everything. This past week, I waited until my 4th trip to london to see the COG and it figures I got there over an hour early and was practically there by myself until just shortly before the procession. I had heard the stories of not seeing anything due to crowds. I got lucky on my spot but I was there way to early. probably unusual.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

P-M, very good point. I haven't actually asked my daughter if she wanted to see it. I guess I just figured it was a &quot;must see&quot; especially for a teenager. I know my husband and daughter won't be thrilled about waiting for an hour or so to get a view. That's why I was trying to find the &quot;easiest&quot; way to see it without wasting so much time. Susan
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM
P_M

...oops, sorry I mis-read and thought you had a son.....

I hope you and your family have a great trip!!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM

OK, so I'm outvoted here but I love the changing of the guard. I saw it at age 5, age 12, age 19, then at age 38 with my 8 and 10 year olds. I saw the changing of the guard at Windsor, too, at 19 and I didn't think it compared.

I don't mind waiting the hour to get a good view. We never used a tour.
I can't comment on viewing from the Horse Guards Palace, haven't done that, either.

I just have a good feeling watching it but I guess I can see how others could find it boring. To me, it's just not London without it.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Chris1234, since you got there early, what is a good spot if I have a choice? You seem happy with where you wound up. Thanks, Susan
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:59 AM

We saw it on my first London trip in 1982, when I was in my twenties. Although it was September, it was still crowded and not really worth the time. A few years ago we returned with our kids who were 14 and 11 at the time and did the Horse Guards Parade instead, because we had heard it was better and not as crowded. The crowds weren't as bad, but it still wasn't all that interesting. My kids usually enjoy cultural/historical type stuff (my son insisted on seeing every bit of the Freedom Trail the previous year in Boston) but they were a bit bored by this.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:33 AM

As with tledford, I don't mind the wait. I enjoyed talking to people from all over the world and since I got there early, I was right up front and got some nice pictures.

Boring is not in my vocabulary. I have enjoyed every trip I have ever taken. Travel is a driving passion in my life -can't wait until I get back to London!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Pat in Mich - Did you go to the Horse Guards really early for viewing? I'm wondering if it would be less crowded going on a Sunday morning. Susan
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:30 AM

I feel that the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace is one of those things every visitor should see once despite the crouds, if only because it's so famous and when you get home you friends will ask if if you saw it. Last trip I made a point to see the changing at Horse Guards, got there early but there only about a dozen other tourists showed up. It was interesting because you could get a lot closer, but there are only four foot soldiers and two on horseback and no band, so don't expect it to be a big thing like the one at Buck. Palace. I must admist that yes, I did stand next to the horse and have my picture taken like a total tourist. Then we went across the street and visited the Banqueting House which my mom and I had completely to ourselves. I was tempted to go past the velevet rope and sit on the thrown but I figured there were probably security cameras and I didn't want to spend the rest of my vacation &quot;at the Queen's pleasure&quot;!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Daisy54, how much bigger a thing is the one at Buckingham Palace? Are there a lot more guards? Is it a longer ceremony? Did you get to the Horse Guards really early? I, too, am planning on going to the Banqueting House. susan
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:01 AM

samejia,

The changing of the guard at BP is pretty big, they march up the Mall from - the barracks I guess - with a big military band, as I recall at least 100 soldiers, enter the gates of BP, do the changeover, then the band plays for about 30 minutes inside the gates. So yes it is a much bigger event than the one at Horse Gurads but like I mentioned previously, HG was fun too despite its small size because of the closer access. We went to the both guard changings on our own rather than as part of the Walk you mentioned, so at BP we jostled for our place with the crowd, can't say if being on the tour will get you any better viewing. We got to Horse Guard Parade way too early - it happens at 10:00 and we were there before 9:30 and waited alone until just before it happened. We did however get to watch one of the office buildings there get evacuated for a fire alarm. The HG changing lasts about 5 minutes, no band, but it's very close to many othere sites so don't let its short duration and small size deter you. The Banqueting House is right across the street - historically significant due to being the site of Charles I's beheading. It's really only one huge room, used as the name says for state banquets, but the painted ceiling alone is worth the admission. We had a Great British Heritage pass which included the BH.

I believe the the guard changings at both Buckingham Palace and Horse Guards may be canceled in very rainy weather, and in the winter are held only every other day. Enjoy!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:43 AM

samejia,
We went on a Sunday and were there far earlier than necessary, most people arrived right before. There wasn't that much to see, no music and no foot soldiers. It started with about 7 soldiers on horses, they paraded about a bit and then about a dozen more came in from down the road, they all paraded about a bit flipping their swords around (my daughter commented that it was a nice trick but too bad it was the only one they knew) and then it was over. It really wasn't much to see. We did take pictures with a horse after.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thanks for your responses. I'll have to share this info with my daughter and leave it up to her susan
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:32 AM

For a closer look after (or before) the ceremony, you can follow the Buckingham Palace guard unit to St. James's Palace and/or watch the guard unit marching from Wellington Barracks.

Viewing the separate mounted guards ceremony at Horse Guards Parade is a good idea. This is less crowded usually and there is more room to spread out and see the ceremony. Also, you are closer to the the guards than at the Palace.

Dave White
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -