changing money

Jun 25th, 2001, 07:54 AM
MAJA

changing money

Hay!

I am going to vistit Turkey for one month.
I am thinking of taking USD with me?
What do you think: is it better to take DEM and where is the best place to change money? I have hear that excgange offices are offering better rate. I am planning to travel from Istanbul cross Black sea to East Anatolija. Can I have there difficulties with changing money?

That would be all from me. I would be very grateful if you can give me answers on my questions.

Jun 25th, 2001, 09:16 AM
herself

I don't know why your would bring USD or DEM in Turkey. Why not just use the ATM machines to get the cash you need. Have a debit card linked to your checking account and a four degit code.
ATM machines all over the place.

Jun 25th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Susan

It's true that ATMs are all over the place, but we didn't have that much luck using them in Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas last September. I rely almost 100% on ATMs, but had brought some US dollars. (I'm Canadian, but no one usually wants our loonie.) In Fethiye, we did find 1 machine where we could withdraw cash from our chequing account. In Kalkan, the 1 ATM was not on the Plus system, which is what my bank is on. In Kas, there were 3 ATMs and 1 was even on the Plus system. Unfortunately it didn't work for us.

I found myself lining up at the post office in Kalkan to cash in my dollars. I was second to the front of the line when they ran out of lira! I was back bright and early the next morning and got cash.

Next time around I will still take some US cash or travellers cheques, although I definitely will use my ATM when I can.
I think DEM are also a good alternative. It seems as though a lot of hotels, etc. quote in DEM.

Jun 25th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Anna

My husband and I returned from Turkey two weeks ago. We got Turkish lira at an ATM at the airport, another time in Istanbul, and in Avanos without any problems. We brought about $700 in USD in various denominations ($1, 5, 10, 20, 100). Dollars were readily accepted by shopkeepers and vendors, and we could sometimes negotiate a better price by paying in dollars.

Some of the people selling goods listed prices in Turkish lira, US dollars, and German marks so it is not uncommon to use a foreign currency.

Jun 26th, 2001, 03:18 AM
Kathy

When we were in Turkey in 1997 and the currency conversion was approx. 35,000TL to $1 US dollar we always had difficulty getting change when making a purchase...none of the vendors ever had any "small" bills. In the four years since then the conversion is now over one million TL to the USD!! We are heading back in October and plan on bringing lots of $1 $5 and $10 bills to use for our shopping. I have read on this site and many other travel sites that USD are welcome, readily accepted and makes shopping easier. When using the ATMs in Turkey for a cash withdrawal you only get bills of a high denomination and this is where the "getting change" for those large bills becomes an issue and a problem.

Search this Thread