Reload this Page >

changing $ in Paris on a Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 1997, 02:34 PM
liz

I will be arriving in Paris on a Sunday morning and am not sure what to do about changing money. Will a bank be open at Orly then? How about and American Express office? should I change some money at home? I know you get the best rate at a bank but if none is available, what do I do? I at least francs to get into downtown Paris.

Old Jul 31st, 1997, 03:55 PM
Shirley Stover

I would suggest having some francs before you leave. The international department of almost any large bank will give you a decent exchange rate, as will Thomas Cook. If that's not an option, there will almost certainly be money exchange places open in Orly at any time of the night or day, but you might not get the best rate. ATM
s are usually available and will give you a competitive rate, but since I always have money when I arrive, I've never looked for one in Orly. Since you'll pay a transaction fee virtually every time you change money (e.g., my bank charges $1 for out of system ATM withdrawals), it's best to get as much as you think you'll need (subject to how comfortable you are carrying cash around) and making as few withdrawals as possible. If you'll be spending the bulk of your time in one country, getting traveler's checks in that currency before you leave usually gets you a pretty good rate and you can use them virtually anywhere - buy a magazine at the airport when you arrive and get change. HOpe this helps

Old Jul 31st, 1997, 03:57 PM
Donna

You will undoubtedly receive much conflicting advice in this regard. But, I like to cover all the bases, so here goes. The WORST place to change money is at the airport. Long lines, most unfavorable rates anywhere. I highly recommend that you obtain at least $100 in French Francs (that's about 600FF) to cover your immediate needs upon arrival. Taxi or bus fare, a meal, whatever you think you'll need. Lots of people take only an ATM card (and there are lots of ATM's at the airport and all over Paris), but my ATM card (with a large bank, on the Cirrus network) did not work anywhere in Paris (something to this day my bank has been unable to explain). We also like to take American Express Traveller's checks in French Francs (which we obtain at favorable rates with no charge through AAA). These are accepted nearly everywhere or can be cashed at the front desk of most hotels or at a bank or at American Express offices. Then, we take a couple of credit cards. For the most favorable exchange rates, pay for as much as possible on a credit card. You will also get the international wholesale rate with an ATM card (if it works). If you're worried about your credit limits, have them raised before you leave. Or, many card issuers will permit you to pay ahead and establish a large credit balance. Once there, protect yourself from pickpockets. The best way is to take only what you need with you for the day and always carry your passport, money, credit/ATM cards, metro and museum passes, etc. in an under your clothing pouch.

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 09:44 AM
Christina

I'm sure you'll get conflicting advice, also, but
I definitely agree that if at all possible you
should carry at least $100 in francs with you, then
you won't need to get any at the airport. Your
ATM card may or may not work from what I've heard.
Airport exchange rates are terrible, but I have also
found that the exchange booths are not always open,
either (although I'm sure they would be on Sunday
in the middle of the day). Once I had a flight
into Paris from London delayed and did not arrive
at CDG until after midnight and the Bureau de
Change booth was closed. Luckily, I had just enough
francs to get a cab to where I needed. Once you're
in Paris you can usually find Bureaux de Change
that are open on Sunday w/o a problem, espec.
around touristy areas. The Bureau de Change in the
Paris Vision office across the street from the
Palais Garnier Opera house gives very good
exchange rates--the best I've seen in Paris.

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 09:38 AM
Cary Thomas

I was in Paris in May and arrived at Orly airport without any French Francs. There is and ATM machine in the arrival terminal. When you exit after collecting your bags, turn left and straight ahead is the ATM. It is next to the exchange window, look for the exchange signs.

Old Aug 5th, 1997, 04:00 PM
Richard Hardy

There are many banks in Paris and most have ATMs but, as others have stated, not all will accept your bank card. Keep trying them until you find one. Many, too, will accept VISA cards if you have set up a cash advance system (this will incur an interest charge but still might be cheaper than the exchange rates. Another answer is to set up a cash advance system for your AMEX card - some banks will accept them, too.