Cost of living and staying in erfurt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
BSR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of living and staying in erfurt

Hi Folks,

Hope you guys can help me with the below questions about Erfurt, I heard that the cost of living is less compared to Hamburg or berlin

I got a job and the sal would be 2000euros per month net. Would I be able to survive a decent life, I want to save around 1200 Euros for some commitments that I have.
Would 800 Euros be enough to survive for a month if I am very strict in my expenditure

What would be the cost of

1. Single bedroom apartment
2.Food
3.Transportation.
4. Misc

Please help me with your comments.

Can you please guide me
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM

Hi BSR,

For single bedroom apartment, do you mean a 1-bedroom with a separate living room and bedroom? Or do you mean a studio, with the bed in the living room?

Just fyi, in German terms, a 1-bedroom is called a 2-room apartment (2 Zimmer Wohunun) while a studio is called a 1-room apartment.

It's also unclear if you intend to stay one month, or if you intend to stay for a longer period.

Here is a link to a rental site for available properties is Erfurt:

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/Such...Erfurt/-/1,00-

It looks like you can get a studio apartment for about 200 Euro per month. However, these are all unfurnished, so you would have to get a bed and closet/dresser; most apartments also don't have a built-in kitchen, so you would have to pay more or buy one and install it yourself.

You could get these basic furniture items (not the kitchen) plus dishes, towels, and bed linens at an Ikea, probably for about 1,000 Euro.

Alternately, you could rent a vacation apartment that would be furnished and would have dishes and linens provided also. Here is a site to see those:

http://erfurt-touristinformation.de/cms/

It looks like you could find a room in a guesthouse for about 25 Euro per night or a vacation apartment for about 50-60 Euro per night. These places may give you a discount if you stay for 30 days.

I don't really think you'll be able to make it on 800 Euro as a temporary resident.

s
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:38 AM

German students live comfortably with 600 Euros per months, so 800 will be sufficient. Erfurt is a very cheap town.

It will be easy to find a cheap apartment in Erfurt. There are several housing companies where you can enquire. The largest one is the Kowo:

http://www.kowo.de/

A students dorm might also be a good option for you.

[email protected]