Search

Chanel in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chanel in Paris

I am starting a new career shortly after I return from Paris and I was thinking of buying myself a special gift while in Paris to celebrate.

Is Chanel cheaper in Paris than in the US? I was thinking of buying a Chanel wallet, but if it's more than in the US, I should probably plan on something else.

Thanks for any information!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Not much difference but the experience is very nice. I treated myself only to a lipstick, they sat me down and tried a few shades gave me mineral water and gift wrapped it tied with the chanel ribbon with a signature camelia which I wear in the summer as a choker. and the white shopping bag has the Camelia tacked on .
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM

My guess is that their accessories are cheaper in Paris--you will also save the sales tax and get the VAT refund on purchases over a certain amount..

But I would caution you to check prices before you go...I priced an Hermes watch and found it to be more expensive in Paris than at Hermes in New York.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM

In the course of the past year, the € has moved between being worth $1.25 and $1.60. The unpredictabilty of currencies vastly outweighs the different decisions wallet or perfume retailers might make about markup.

And what's a Chanel wallet anyway? Presumably the are hundreds of different wallets emblazoned with a Chanel logo. There's just one answer to your question: before you go on holiday, check how much the present you want costs at home.

Then, when on holiday, check how much it's going to cost in Paris, translated back into your currency that day. A rate no-one (seriously: absolutely no-one) can remotely predict more than a few hours ahead.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Lola:

do you have a specific item in mind? If yes, I suggest checking the websites of several upscale department stores in the US that carry Chanel. You might find the same or a similar item. You could also compare the prices of other items that you find on the website and in Paris, just to see where the prices tend to be higher right now.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM

But also, the selection there maybe very different than here in the states.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM

and you said it was a special gift to self! Buy it in Paris.

Chanel = Paris. Not the same from a price break on e-bay of Overstock or some such...
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I think you should go to Goyard instead. Or better yet, allez-vous to the new Marc my Marc Jacobs store on the Marche du St. Honore.

You better work it!

An old ami
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM

The base price is more than likely cheaper and then with the detaxe it'll be cheaper. I know Vuitton is cheaper as I've been buying it regularly, in Paris, since the 80s. When I bought my Chanel handbag in Paris many years ago, it was definitely cheaper and then I held on to it for many years and sold it to someone who just had to have it and I didn't lose a cent of the value...actually gained. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice!

I will pick out some options here in the states to compare prices.

But I have to say, the Chanel experience described above sounds fabulous! I must at least buy some makeup while there. It will be a nicer experience than my last stop at the Lord & Taylor Chanel counter. LOL!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM

lola, my experience was at the rue Cambon boutique. You can read about it in my trip repport, Cigale's rainy days in Paris.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM

The accessory items at Chanel are all made in China, except for the very high-end bags and they are made in the European Community.

Longchamps strongly advertises their goods are Made in France and they have fabulous, very colour purses, key rings, coin purses,etc. There is a large Longchamps boutique on the Rue St Honore. Not far from Goyard, which is also Made in France.

Or if you want something very French, not mass produced, there is the charming Jamin Peuche bags as well. Very quirky, young and different to anything you can find in the States.

Good luck with your career!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 08:26 AM

My experiences have also been at the rue Cambon boutique and the one on Avenue Montaigne. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM

On a recent business trip my husband got me my favorite perfume, Channel No. 19, very tough to find (and much cheaper!) in Paris. With the purchase they gave him tons of sample size creams and cosmetics; I was a very happy girl!!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Chanel 19? I had a small bottle of it and someone from a work crew at my last residence obviously stole it out of my bathroom cabinet. I didn't notice it until many months later as I had it stored in the Chanel box. I didn't know that the work crew was coming as my then landlord let them in without my knowledge. Otherwise, I would have locked it up. Later I found out that the same work crew had stolen a bicycle out of the yard.
Did your husband get #19 at the rue Cambon store? When I get back to Paris, in the spring, maybe I'll replace my bottle. I can't even imagine the price now. I had bought my bottle some years ago. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Who cares if it turns out to be a few dollars more in Paris - the point is that it's a little piece of your Paris trip that will always be with you!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM

And, if you CAN'T get to Paris, you can buy it on line discounted at many places like the beautycounter
and other sites if you google.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:13 AM

Chanel (and many other high end items manufacturers) are slashing prices for the upcoming holiday season, which is forecasted to be one of the most frugal in the last 25 years. I think the timing is right if you have the extra.