Reload this Page >

Chance Fodorite Meeting in Bayeux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:02 PM
StCirq

I'm writing this from the newly installed computer in the lobby of the hotel we're staying at in Paris.Last night, in Bayeux, we were having dinner at Le Petit Normand, the restaurant our hosts at the Chateau de la Bellefontaine recommended. Behind us was an American couple with a young boy. At the end of the absolutely delicious meal I overheard the man ask our host where he could buy a telecarte. It was late at night, and the host said he didn't thin khe'd be able to buy one at such an hour. Having several in my purse, I offered one to the man and we got to talking. Turns out, he had spent the day with the infamous Colonel Chilcott and he and his wife and son were returning to Honfleur, where they were installed at the Hotel Ecrin. We chatted for some time, and it came to light that they had used Fodor's site to plan their trip. When I told them what my screen name was, they were nearly speechless - turned out they had used my directions to get to le Mont St-Michel, and had consulted my friend PBProvence for restaurants in and near Mausssane-les-Alpilles. And we didn't even have Fodor's ribbons on!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:28 PM
clairobscur

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm going to Bayeux : <BR> <BR> What's the price range of the Petit Normand? Is it situated in Bayeux itself? <BR> <BR>Also, any other name of good restaurants at reasonnable(or even low) prices (say between 100 and 300 FF) in Bayeux? <BR> <BR>I know it can seem weird for a frenchman to ask for french restaurants on an american board, but Bayeux seems to be a very popular destination here, and I'm sure I'll get more advices on Fodor's than asking my neighbors....

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:18 PM
Monica

Back in 1999 when I planned the first fodorites gathering in Paris, a bunch of us planned to meet on the 16th of May at Cafe du Maggots. A few nights before, my Mom and I were in a restaurant recommended by Rick Steves (near rue Cler). Well, this restaurant was filled with Americans, so we started to talk to a few of them. After a few minutes another woman said, "Monica, get a bigger table!" It was Lynn, who was one person (w/her husband) who was planning to meet us on the 16th. She recognized me from my photo on my travel page. After reading several postings about the upcoming meeting, she had posted a message, "Monica, get a bigger table." Talk about a small world. Yes, we both planned to be in Paris at the same time, but to bump into each other at a restaurant in Paris a few nights before the get together was amazing. We chatted for a while before going our separate ways. It was a great evening!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:27 PM
Thyra

StCirq, thats amazing! What a small, wonderful world...

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:47 PM
kalena

We just missed you and the other fodorite family....and what a lovely encounter. We too stayed at Hotel Ecrin in Honfleur. We wish we had spent an extra night in Bayeux, where we finally had pizza at the request of our boys.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:12 AM
Mary

St Cirq, I bet they were stunned. Did you give them your autograph too. Was it as good for them as say meeting the Queen of England. <BR> <BR>Tell me you didnt write this. Tell me someone put your name at the top to embarrass you.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Gigi

Mary, I don't think there was anything wrong with St Cirq telling us her story.I should have wanted to share that story as well if it had happened to me. It merely illustrates the impact Fodor's has and just how small our world really is. <BR>St Cirq, now if we could only see that picture of you (as a native) getting spring water!<BR>Happy travels!<BR>Gigi<BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:32 AM
xxx

Nice story. So glad it was shared with us. I'd love to hear of other chance, happy meetings among Fodors posters.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 03:02 AM
Sara Ann Dippity

This is a cute story. It goes to show what can happen when strangers talk to each other.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Dave

I wear my Fodor's pin to go to the supermarket. It may be hokey, but wouldn't it be a hoot if a neighbor was also a closet Fodor's junkie?

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 07:47 AM
xxx

How do you know that I am not, Dave? <BR> <BR> <BR>signed, <BR>your neighbor (with the trees)

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:43 PM
Barb

Hi StCirq, <BR>It was me and my family that met you at Le Petit Normand that night! I have been off the board for awhile and just saw this note. In fact I just mentioned our chance meeting in a note I posted today "thanks for France Advice, or something like that. It was great to meet you and your lovely family and I have told so many people our 'it's a small world'story. By the way, we got our lost credit card cancelled with no issues - which was the reason that we need the phone card late at night -- it wasn't stolen, probably under a display somewhere in the Rangers museum or in a crater at Pont du Hoc. Hope the rest of your vacation was terrific and I look forward to more of your France advice in the future! <BR>Barbara

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:20 AM
Kavey

Very nice story - I think it amazing when you meet someone you know (in person or online) in some far flung destination - when you think of the millions of places in the world and the millions of places you could be even in the same country it is pretty amazing! <BR> <BR>Mary - did you get out of the bed on the wrong side??? <BR> <BR>I did take my pin to SF but didnt wear it very much as a) I was worried to lose it after everyone commented on the dodgy fastener and b) the back of the pin scratches like hell, and it was so warm I only had the one layer on. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:47 AM
carol

How lucky that these two obviously nice people bumped into each other and talked in real life after have some faceless contact in cyberspace. And how fortunate that they didn't bump into someone like Mary instead--what a downer that would have been.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 02:10 PM
Pierrette

I loved hearing about your chance meeting StCirq. Mary is a grump.